408 update

TurbochargedBerserker

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fired it up today. Mmmmmm. I love the cam :) I even drove it a bit whoohooooo!!

Had a few set backs, and developed a dead miss. I think there are some screwy grounds -- having intermittent trouble with the PCM, the battery going dead (and it's a brand new battery), oil pressure gauge is pegged, even with the motor off :)

Chuck's gonna go through it all tomorrow and finish up the IC, and the fuel pumps.

Then I can finish up the tuning on my own time.

VetteDude - I didn't build my own because of time issues, but DieselGeek on LS1Tech builds them as a hobby. He's been helping me out with the installation, etc.

Latest and greatest: TRUCK IDLES!! I really really really like the cam :devil::driving:

Tomorrow the small issue with the fans should be worked out and the FMIC will be plumbed and I will be driving the beast home.

I'll have to hook up the hobbs switch for the 2nd fuel pump this weekend, but other than that everything's done.

I completely fouled the inside 4 plugs yesterday lol. It was so rich the plugs look like charcoal briquets. I'm gonna have to recheck all the exhaust welds lol.

Once the plugs were replaced (with my old plugs -- I'll get a new set when fully tuned), and the grounds were good, I got it to idle in about 25 minutes. Megasquirt kicks ass. I ahd to adjust my TB for the new cam and once that was straightened out, the truck was idling perfectly in 5 minutes. Then we found that Chuck's assistant had missed the ECT sensor... Plugged that in and no idle -- and out of time lol. But at least I know what to fix tomorrow afternoon.

Megasquirt works like this: pull up the VE tuning table and look at a 3D graph of the VE table. A little green pointer floats around the table, following the truck's rpm and map. You move a little red x around and hit shift+ up or down to change fueling. You have a real time readout of rpm, map and ve vs. the ve table settings, and just match them up! Its SOOOO simple. :smash::smash:

Megasquirt works like this:  pull up the VE tuning table and look at a 3D graph of the VE table.  A little green pointer floats around the table, following the truck's rpm and map.  You move a little red x around and hit shift+ up or down to change fueling.  You have a real time readout of rpm, map and ve vs. the ve table settings, and just match them up!  Its SOOOO simple.  :smash:  :smash:

good to hear erik, i hope thios mega squirt works out ok, I feel tha6t i have a long tedious road ahead of me... :smash:

Well, it's gonna be a few more days...

Some how one of my injector circuits was blown between last night when I had it idling and today  :banghead:  DieselGeek is going to fix up the computer for me, but he's in Nebraska and I'm in Orlando so it will be a few days.  :cry:

Ooo...what kind of symptons does that give? What do you think caused?

No injector pulse on the first two injectors on each bank. Scott thinks someone got sloppy and ran some voltage through the chasis... :dunno:

The fan grounds were attached to the 12v out on the alternator, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how that got back to the chasis. I'm going to have them go through the grounds again tomorrow with the info yyou gave me in the other thread.

Archived