mine won't fit in my garage!

pestep

Just picked up my SS yesterday (man, I love this truck). Got it home, and discovered it won't fit in my garage! (Actually, if I touch the back wall, I could just barely close the garage door.

I think I'm going to do some surgery on the back wall of the garage to make a nook for the bumper to fit it. That will get me about an extra 6" (no pun intended:)

Patrick

p.s. did I mention I love this truck!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got it home, and discovered it won't fit in my garage! (Actually, if I touch the back wall, I could just barely close the garage door.

What size is your garage? That's been one of the eliminating factors I've had in the back of my head.

Anybody measure their truck's length?

Geez, we could all start another forum here. I thought I was the only one. I literally used two concrete nails to hang a 2X2 foot foam cushion on the back wall of my garage. When parked, I clear the garage door by about 1 or 2 inches if I'm lucky. I put tire stops down so I could tell when my front bumper is literally 1 inch from the back concrete wall. The foam is there should I ever misjudge I won't take the paint off my front bumper.

Congrats on your new baby, Patrick. Isn't that a GREAT ride??? This buds for you, bro. :cheers:

Howdy... new to the forum and thinkin about buying a new SS(maybe as early as tomorrow morning). I currently have an '02 Silverado Ext Cab Short Bed that just BARELY fits in my garage... any idea if the SS is any longer?

According to several sites I've looked at that have specs for 2002 & 2003 models the SS is 1/10" longer.

According to AutoConsmerGuide.com:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500/2500 Ext Cab Short Bed

Overall length 227.6"

According to Edmunds.com:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado SS

Overall length 227.7"

Chevrolet.com has the SS length listed as 227.7" (of course they also still indicate polished aluminum wheels). :rolleyes:

You could always test drive one home and see for yourself. :jester:

To park perfectly every time, get your vehicle exactly where you want it in the garage. Then screw a drywall screw into a tennis ball and hang it from the ceiling with fishing line, centering it side to side using the steering wheel as a guide. Adjust the ball height to match your eye level view.

Next time you pull in the garage, just center up on the tennis ball and drive up until the windshield just kisses the ball. Perfect park every time!

ss_tennis.jpg

Just picked up my SS yesterday (man, I love this truck).  Got it home, and discovered it won't fit in my garage!

Congrats on the getting new SS Patrick. :cheers:

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of parking mine in a garage since I converted mine into a recording studio...so I have just been parking it in the back yard. :(

Archived