She lives again!!!

It's been about 10 months since I have been without my truck running for a whole bunch of reasons that would take too long to list.

Today it was back on the road. Turned the key and it fired up instantly. It was a little rough at first, but then it settled out almost instantly. Even with the size cam I have in. Hardly any valvetrain noise at all.

Let it run for just a while, then took it out for a few miles. All I can say is :D ! I have never driven in a vehicle with a high compression motor, but there definitely is a difference. Throttle response is incredible. It doesn't even want to shut off any more after only 5 miles of driving. That is awesome.

Did some logging and it looks pretty good for right now. Fuel trims are right about -3. Hopefully will get a little more tuning time before I head off to Rhode Island Tuesday.

For now, I couldn't be more satisfied. :ughdance:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbs::thumbs: That's gotta feel real good. I was just looking at FMS's cam grinds today - awesome combination there.

edit - what did you do for a short block, did you use your LQ9 block or go with a sleeved aluminum block?

Mr. P. :)

hey good deal!

congrats!

side note: just started looking for orders, back out to sea, damn if they are all overseas :shakehead:

Wow, no ships? I wouldn't want to do overseas tours - never have. All sailors should be at sea. :D Wish I was going back.

Good work Ben. Very glad to hear that it is all working good.

Are you still going to move?

CD

Thanks.

Tuesday I head to Rhode Island for 6 weeks for a school. After that, I'm off to Norfolk, VA for 3 years. The wife is staying here. The Navy calls it a geographical bachelor. Her job is good enough to where I wouldn't have to work when I retire. So, the plan as of right now, is for her to keep it and the house, then come back here after I retire. That is at least 3 yrs from now (retirement).

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  That's gotta feel real good. I was just looking at FMS's cam grinds today - awesome combination there.

edit - what did you do for a short block, did you use your LQ9 block or go with a sleeved aluminum block?

Mr. P. :)

I think Allen Futral is one of the best LS1 cam dudes out there, if not the best.

I had to buy a new block. I had originally spun cam bearings in the stock block. That means the spot where the bearings lay would have had to been bored out some. This would force the use of an oversized cam bearing with a larger o.d., but the same i.d.. Well, at the time, they didn't make them. So, I got a new '04 block, cost $645, and bored out .030" originally, now .040". I also have a Callies rotating assy, just like Erik's.

its about time.  i just wished my tranny was good when i got mine in.  you going to take it to RI??  or wait and take it to norfolk?

Are you kidding? I couldn't afford the gas for a 28 hour drive. The Honda gets this trip. Dropping it off in Norfolk, catching a plane back to p-cola, then driving the truck to Norfolk. Works out pretty good that way.

Archived