408 & STS

So I got the truck back but it is not completely tuned. I needed my truck to go out of town this weekend so I was just given a base tune to ensure things would be ok. With the front drive shaft disengaged we were able to tune on the dyno. Right now we have it tuned for 8# boost with 4* timing thown at it. The truck's air/fuel is @ ~11.7-11.9 through the rpm range. At that base we are seeing ~400hp to the wheels. It was pretty neat to watch the tuning as there was no timing being throw at it and running very rich it was a constant 354-360hp, then as he leaned it out hp starting almost increasing exponentually.

Couple of interesting things

1) We will be using a 12# spring as the 8# spring seems to be not "enough" :D Oh and meth wasnt used yet :thumbs:

2) The turbo GT70 doesnt seem to spool up untill 4500rpms. Seems pretty sluggish (BEN or ERIK, when did/does yours start to spool?) But when it hits it's very nice

4) The 22s will spin in third :driving:

3) Air filter from STS feel off when I drove this weekend (2 hour drive). Seems as though the turbo was too hot and melted the rubber causing it to hang off my turbo, not good!!!!

4) Intank pump is a must :D

5) This cam is fricken BAD ASS. I have a video from my buddies camera, but he has the software to download it so i'll have to wait for him to do that for me.

6) This thing even partially tuned pulls like a SOB :devil: 70-95 is almost instant.

7) On the swap there ended up being a leak in the AC, no AC right now and its over 100 :(

8) Oil pressure on startup is really low, have to warm up with a couple throttle punches then she is good. On the high way we have 60# pressue.

9) Something weird, STS has a buzzer that will go off if there is too low of oil pressure, but there is also one if there is too high oil pressure. Getting on it good will raise pressure to 80, makes a slight buzz then is ok. Just something weird....

I think that is about it for now. Can't wait to get the thing completely done, i know ive gained the interest of my installer big time with this job :thumbs:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd question how awsome the cam is if the turbo isn't spooling up until 4500. the late spool may be from a lack of timing though. good to hear you're driving it finally.

comp cam 241/246 .588/594 113

Yeah zippy we looked at the spec sheets cause we were wondering the same thing but that looked ok. I was just curious to see what Erik or Ben saw with theirs. When did it start to spool??

I'm hitting boost in the 3k range. Something ain't right Makani. A 76 should be hitting at 4k on a 6.0L, let alone the 408.

I think the cam may be doing you some harm there. Too much overlap, IMO, and a lot of exhaust duration. The STS is going to run better with more exhaust pressure.

Are you running long tubes? How about an intercooler?

Another thing - where are you getting your boost reference for the wastegate? Needs to be off the manifold rather than off the turbo -- that will gain you 300-500rpm right there. Also, on no intercooler / no meth, I hit about 10% higher numbers -- but if your turbo isn't coming on til 4500 that's why.

And the air filter thing... I think that's a first. I've never heard of that but it makes me wonder about the oiling system to the turbo. The high pressure buzzer is adjustible -- you probably need to turn it up some (call Dave @ STS for instructions, I never did turn mine up :))

Also your timing is really really low (especially with that AFR). I'm able to run my dd boost on the same table as the high boost with no KR -- about 8-10* higher than your running.

My 408 never got a chance to see the STS kit, so no help here.

Could the melted filter from the turbo getting to hot be caused by a lean condition? I've seen vids of them glowing red when they are lean. Just a thought.

-nevermind, I see your AFR.

yeah its a little choppy not to bad, but idle is at ~1k rpm.

Erik, thanks for the info, Maybe ill wait for the complete tune to be done and that might take care of some of the issues. As for timing we'll be throwing a little more at it close to what you have actually maybe that might help with the spooling. My 3k stall actually feels like a 3k stall again. Dont know if it was because i was without my truck for a while, but have to get used to again.

I'm just hoping that its because the tuning isnt complete which is why i dont see boost in the 3k range.

thanks guys!

maka... don't take this the wrong way man.... but.... you just made me cream my shorts :jester:

I wanna hear a soundclip of this bad boy!! Some video would be nice too!!

Can I borrow your truck? :jester:

you sick bastard......so did you lick it up :P

ok, yeah its on video just need my buddy to transfer it from camera, not the best video but you can hear it.

As for taking another video I could do that but I got me a muffler and man i love it. I mean the pro stock race sound was nice but too much attention. I ended up with the magnaflow performance muffler 3" in 3" out. Still sounds nasty :devil:

Ok some issues resolved with the installation of front drive shaft, builds boost at about 3k as Erik mentioned. So that is no longer issue. The stall feels back to normal used to have to stall up to about 3k before I got moving now its back to "normal".

The return oil pump we believe is too small, only at high pressure does it beep and gag, so we are going to get a bigger one.

Things seem to be figuring themselves out, starting to work nicely. :ughdance:

Dylan NOOOOO borrow :smash:

EDIT: Air filter fell completly off, so I got a new cheapy (25 bucks :puke: ). Shade @sts is sending another with the piece that will come off the turbo to disappate any heat and keep the filter on. Cant wait!!!!

the one good thing about the air filter getting that hot is that it's showing that you're getting some heat back to the turbo. this can be a problem on the remote mount systems. fortunatly your's seems to be getting it back there.

Good to hear Makani.

The oil pumps look almost exactly the same. The only way to tell the lo vs. hi, is which side the "bump" on the bottom of the pump faces (frame vs. away from frame). Mine has always beeped -- low pressure pump / GT67 and high pressure / GT70 -- that's when Dave told me about the adjustment screw.

And I don't think there has ever been an STS owner complaining about low heat at the turbo. Lots of other folks, though :) Same with "lag" and "efficiency" :jester:

:D

good points I guess I cant complain too much about the heat going to the turbo.

Erik so you did end up getting the bigger oil pump? Still haven't talked to anyone live, going to try again in a couple minutes.

Also for those interested, forgive the camera angles its a little choppy and can make you dizzy :D

I didnt rev it or anything just let her idle. She now sounds nasty but not this nasty :devil:

Also I tried to get a pic of the meth tank which was custom made but its a little too shiny to see clearly.

Truck Idle

makani

Archived