Stock muffler question

I've heard rumors that one of the outlets on the stock muffler was a dummy? IS there any truth to this. I like the way the truck sounds(could be a bit louder) and I was thinking of having a muffler shop bend me some pipes to have dual outlets exiting under the bumper. Put on a set of 3.5" stainless, slash cut tips and I'd have a nice mellow, clean looking exhaust. Or I'll wait for the flowmaster system.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard rumors that one of the outlets on the stock muffler was a dummy? IS there any truth to this. I like the way the truck sounds(could be a bit louder) and I was thinking of having a muffler shop bend me some pipes to have dual outlets exiting under the bumper. Put on a set of 3.5" stainless, slash cut tips and I'd have a nice mellow, clean looking exhaust. Or I'll wait for the flowmaster system.

I'm not sure about the SS muffler but I can tell you this. The muffler on the Tahoe's, Avalanches, etc., look like they're a dual outlet muffler but they're not. They also have two pipes coming out of the muffler like the SS muffler but only one is exhausting gas, the other is actually an inlet to a resonation chamber to keep interior sound levels down. The SS muffler looks just like these mufflers except the SS muffler is a dual inlet and the Tahoe muffler is a single inlet. Like I said, I'm not sure but the outlets look exactly the same on both mufflers.

Jim

dont know if this helps but i bought a set of headers from mesa they are the other guys now they said the headers would give me 20 horse to the rear wheels. and they did so i asked him about duals compared to single exhaust. what was going to make me the best horse? he was very informal and told me that on late models the only way to go was single. we need the back presure for the performance so i will always run single. on my 90 i had mesa headers a high flow cat (wich is a cat from a 1995 or newer truck) a dynomax race bullet and 3 inch pipe manderal bent of course and it was fast and loud! :flag:

he was very informal and told me that on late models the only way to go was single. we need the back presure for the performance so i will always run single.

ledfootss:

That’s what flowmaster told me as well, so i went with the single muffler dual in single out exhaust.

Any of you techies out there clarify on this issue?? :confused:

Back pressure gives you low end torque. Due to the pressure differential, the backpressure actually forces left over exhaust gases in the exhaust system to "supercharge" back into the cylinder when the intake valve opens.

If you reduced the backpressure by running an aftermarket muffler(s) or even straight pipes, it moves the power peak higher in the rpm band, but sacrifices the low-end torque. No longer do you get the exhaust gas pressurizing the intake charge, but low backpressure exhaust systems do allow the engine to efficiently expell gases at high rpm.

Do you want the big pull off the line and then peter out as the rpms climb or do you want a sluggish start and wait for the power to hit at 4000 rpm? Just like anything in this world of science, nothing is free, there's always a trade off.

Back pressure gives you low end torque. Due to the pressure differential, the backpressure actually forces left over exhaust gases in the exhaust system to "supercharge" back into the cylinder when the intake valve opens.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks, Richard. :thumbs:

You know, I spoke with several header companies asking for a set of headers with a 3" flange. Everyone offers a 2.5 inch flange. ASM and TOG both said that 3 inch is too big and they wouldn't build me what I wanted. So I am doing it myself. But thats another story. Anyway, back pressure may be good for a 5.7 liter vortec in a 96 chevy, but not really for our trucks. These Gen III motors really love a free flowing exhaust. Check out any C5 or Fbody that added headers or a cat back system. They gain torque and HP.

I'm planning a 3 inch out from my ASM headers through an X pipe. I did the same thing to an Escalade and it really woke it up. I'm not sure what mufflers I'm going to run yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Flowmaster 530504 is a dual 3" in/dual 2.5" out 50 series delta. When I called Flowmaster they said this one was recommended for the 1500HD trucks. Closest they had to match an SS. This is the one I was planning on using if the stock muffler isn't true dual exit.

Archived