Stock muffler question

i hacked mine off...put glass packs on...posted pics sometime ago on one of the other threads...sounds great...i am going to get a recording this weekend...much more power on the high end...but i do think that some is lost at the low end...truck doesn't jump as much off the line...but sure as hell gets up and goes...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a sweet but tame sound that needs some tweaking.

Anyone :confused: have pics showing their exhaust mods PLEASE POST PICS and maybe have a section Exhaust Mods Pics.

I asked GM what happened from the show SS that had duals, No Reply except could void warranty warnings.

I agree exhaust mods can adversely affect the equation but if properly done can be beneficial and substantial gains can be accomplished.

You do not go slap on a dual 3" system when you have a single 3", that's asking for troubles and blowing backpressure out the door but if you go with 2.5" duals with mandrel bent ss pipes and a properly built muffler then your laughing.

Maybe we can get Stacey From TRUCKS TV to go after Magnaflow(Andretti) to come up with a bolt on kit like he did with the ......

:sick: WEAK OF HEART PLEASE LOG OFF NOW...

:smash:

Sorry to say Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7 L Hemi, HP and torque gains and what an awesome sound, as The Tool Man Tim Taylor would say we do not grunt enough eeuuh euuuuh euuuh...out of our SS's.

In my case my single side exit will look like :puke: next spring from all the calcium corrosion from the wheelsplash and hopefully someone will have something that exits at rear, looks, sounds good and not adversely affect perfomance.

John Moss(GM HP Guru) had a great vision but GM execs had last word and saved $$$$ by using off the shelf parts from Excalade Ext.

:thumbs: Dr Mike

• 2 weeks later...

rico750sxi:

Hey bud, it turns out that I was wrong on your exhaust question. The stock muffler is a dummy, as was I… :uhoh:

Sorry if I threw you for a loop on that one, I think in my frustration now I am going to hack apart the dang muffler and see what the heck it looks like on the inside…

:cheers:

No problem Blackhawk, you were trying to do me a favor. I haven't got to the exhaust mods yet anyways. Want to get it lowered correctly and I just bought a Superchips programmer for it. I want to get a Volant intake but Tbyrne doesn't have them in stock. I'm bidding on one on ebay now.

Dont you guys just love Trucks TV? Stacey is the man!

--------------

Of course GM would never give us headers or even better manifolds, but the weak crimped 2.5 inch front pipes are basically the same as the 4.8 and 5.3 trucks have. They may be OK, but definitely aren't what a preformance truck needs.

I love the SS exhaust (not): dual 2.5 inch pipes that feed into dual 2.75 inch pipes that flow into a dual in muffler that comes out a single 2.75 inch pipe that merges with a dummy pipe that ends up in a single 3.5 inch meaty looking pipe. Stupid.

I left the stock muffler on after my header install. I wasn't all that impressed with the header benefits, but I now realize that the stock muffler is my roadblock.

I wish I knew the story of the other guy. I guess he was only on the first season, maybe two. I'm pretty sure he assisted with the Hairy Hauler Willis wagon project.

That Copperhead project is SWEET!! I wish he would hurry up and finish it.

Archived