ls2 402 questions

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On those carb intakes there really isnt anyway to hide a direct port/spray bar setup on there huh? I dont think there is. :( Looks like the LS2 setup would be the best for me and still be able to spray bar the intake to hide the nitrous. If there is something Im over-looking let me know. Im going to swap intakes when I swap heads in a couple of months.

Is the gain from the TPIS system because of the SD stuff or is it just the actual intake? I would get the intake but would still be running the MAF. I cant find that damn LS1 intake on teh only SBC stuff. Also wondering if the UMI tb would work on that intake. May have to buckle down and buy a damn FAST intake but damn they are expensive.

Im confused as to what to do about my intake system if that isnt apparent. :lol:

Expensive is right.

The lowest I have found for a 90mm FAST intake is $735.

Going with Nasty Performance fuel rails and all the connections for crossovers and going right up to the stock quick connect lines goes for an addit'l $340.

So, looking at an easy thousand.

That would only leave the pulley and wp problem, which should be fairly simple to resolve.

Thinking on this one. I would like to get a LS6 intake to save a little money, but then you have problems mounting the 90mm tb (4bolt vs 3bolt). The LS6 mounts up like the stock tb.

Anyone know if there is a conversion plate out there? Maybe BigTex's idea would work with the j-bolt, just not too keen on tightening that thing up against plastic.

If fuel rails were available for the LS2 intake, which I haven't found yet, that would be the less expensive route. But, many don't like the LS2 because it falls pretty flat in a lot of areas in the higher rpm range.

On those carb intakes there really isnt anyway to hide a direct port/spray bar setup on there huh?  I dont think there is. :( Looks like the LS2 setup would be the best for me and still be able to spray bar the intake to hide the nitrous.  If there is something Im over-looking let me know.  Im going to swap intakes when I swap heads in a couple of months.

Is the gain from the TPIS system because of the SD stuff or is it just the actual intake?  I would get the intake but would still be running the MAF.  I cant find that damn LS1 intake on teh only SBC stuff.  Also wondering if the UMI tb would work on that intake.  May have to buckle down and buy a damn FAST intake but damn they are expensive.

Im confused as to what to do about my intake system if that isnt apparent. :lol:

Edlebrock makes a Performer LS1 carb intake too. Much cheaper than the TPIS most likely... Any throttle body on the carb style intake will take a custom machined adapter of some sort. There are several Mustang carb intake elbows that could be easily adapted...

Is the gain from the TPIS system because of the SD stuff or is it just the actual intake?  I would get the intake but would still be running the MAF.  I cant find that damn LS1 intake on teh only SBC stuff.  Also wondering if the UMI tb would work on that intake.  May have to buckle down and buy a damn FAST intake but damn they are expensive.

TPIS with the MAF was 1hp > than a FAST. The big numbers came from eliminating the MAF and going to the SD tune (which means the VE must be spot on -- who knows what the VE was like on the MAF run). Too many unanswered questions there, so just throw out the SD run in terms of comparison, except to the TPIS. They didn't even run the FAST in SD mode...

Just get the Vic Jr. $399 for everything you need except gaskets, TB, and the elbow. It also moves the powerband up to 3500. If you are really worried about hiding the spray, keep the hood closed ;)

I will get asked to pop the hood when I run for money no ? about it. I have to run spray in order to keep up with some of the cars that I will be running. These cars run mid to high 10s on stickies at the track. I usually run cars form a dig to 100 where I have a chance and I dont want to hear a bunch of BS about me spraying its just simpler if I hide it and they dont know its on there. I may have to end up doing the FAST setup and spray bar it :banghead: I dont want the flat spots in the rpm band on the LS2 intake I need every bt of power I can get. So how much could I stand to gain to go to SD tuning. Nelson is only an hour form me so he can do all that in person for me and get it perfect.

IMO don't do SD unless you need it -- you can still do an SD tune with the express purpose of plugging the MAF back in (Just tell Allen to get your VE table spot on). The MAF is only a limit when you are maxing it out and the meter readings become garbage. Up to that point, you are better off running a MAF then not on the street.

Sounds like I have to run the FAST setup with a UMI tb and the Nasty performance conversion kit. Damn 1400 bucks is alot for 40hp :banghead: IDK will the LS2 tb really work well with a 90mm tb. Its either LS2 intake with a UMI tb and the Nasty conversion or the FAST setup with the UMI tb and Nasty conversion. :dunno:

Sounds like I have to run the FAST setup with a UMI tb and the Nasty performance conversion kit.  Damn 1400 bucks is alot for 40hp :banghead: IDK will the LS2 tb really work well with a 90mm tb.  Its either LS2 intake with a UMI tb and the Nasty conversion or the FAST setup with the UMI tb and Nasty conversion.  :dunno:

Nasty isn't making the fuel rail conversions for the LS2 anymore. Speed inc may, but not sure.

If you go with the FAST, Thunder Racing may have a better deal on the rails, although not sure on that. They do have them, that I know.

Here is Thunder's fuel rail setup, looks pretty sweet:

Thunder

I dont ahve the tools to do it myself unfortunately. It seems kind of a shame to spray bar that thing when I can have a badass dp setup on top of it. Decisions decisions :banghead: I found out today I can get the FAST intake manifold for cheaper than the 738 or whatever from the speed shop that I deal with but that still puts me at over 1K just for the intake and the UMI tb that I would use. This is the tb I will be using I cant tell how many bolts it takes thoughBlk%2090mm%202.JPG

Here is the info for it off their website

PRESS RELEASE

UMI Racing introduces "NEW" 90mm LS2 / LS7 Throttle Body. The new 90mm throttle body was designed with state of the art 3D modeling software. Manufactureed from A356 aircraft aluminum alloy and machined in house on the lastest CNC machining centers. Featuring UMI's new parabolic throttle bore design virtually eliminates any "tip in" hesitation found in most big bore throttle body. This allows for more linear air flow. Flow tested to ensure a linear air flow through the entire throttle range.

This "state of the art" throttle body offers performance and drivability in ONE. The throttle body is designed to fit on the GM and aftermarket manifolds.

FEATURES INCLUDE

Precision stamped throttle cable cam.

Double return spring for smooth throttle response and reliability.

Parabolic throttle bore eliminates normal tip in hesitation associated with large bore diameter throttle bodies.

Available with precision 4" wiggins O-ring groove to accept wiggins fittings on supercharged and turbo charged applications.

Sealed roller bearings mount the stainless steel throttle shaft.

Shaft is slit for throttle plate and shaft is locked in place to prevent plate rubbing or locking

Countersunk screws in throttle plate allow maximum uninterrupted air flow.

Retail price is $549.25

Dealer pricing available for authorized dealer only.

So will this connect to the FAST intake manifold? I havent done a whole lot of research on this yet.

Archived