ls2 402 questions

Eventually I went with a much better lifter (CompR) that "required" an adjustable rocker. 

I didn't know they required them?

Yes, they do. Main reason is there is so little adjustment to make for preload. It's .002" - 006" window. If you look at a normal lifter, you'll see the plunger moves quite a bit and has some travel. These lifters already have the plunger pushed almost all the way in already and held down with a C-clip. Basically, when this lifter moves the rockers are already on their way up. There is no split second lag.

good point ben. i'd forgotten all about that. here's the info right from comp's site. Link

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we have talked alot about intakes and which ones for which. So what is the best intake to get the most power out of your big CI engine(400+) and let it breathe up top? I see LS6 mainfolds go for mid 200s which seem like they would be good but I want to use a 90mm setup so I know Im not starving my engine for air way up top in the rpm band. Im confused as to which way to go now after this thread :dunno:

What do mean need/want? I said I need something that isnt going to cause a bottleneck in the intake tract of my engine that will feed it in the high rpm range. I dont know whether to go to a carb setup or go with a fast setup but the fast setup is overly price for what it is IMO.

If that means you have them, then I think you could be experiencing some valve float issues also with using the stock rocker.  Do they make any noise?

not any more than what a 6.0 would with 918s

You have 918s??? I thought your cam was much bigger than what a 918 could handle.

Tapping is what I was referring to. Valve float you may not hear though. You may still be having that.

Plan for you: get a bigger cam (I remember you saying mine wasn't that big - so even bigger), adjustable rocker setup, double springs. :D Make it a Valentines gift from Kitty. :thumbs:

What do mean need/want?  I said I need something that isnt going to cause a bottleneck in the intake tract of my engine that will feed it in the high rpm range.  I dont know whether to go to a carb setup or go with a fast setup but the fast setup is overly price for what it is IMO.

Trade in your Jesels and go with the Crane's and you have your money for a FAST - almost. :)

What do mean need/want?  I said I need something that isnt going to cause a bottleneck in the intake tract of my engine that will feed it in the high rpm range.  I dont know whether to go to a carb setup or go with a fast setup but the fast setup is overly price for what it is IMO.

I tend to agree about the FAST -- that with the lack of published hp and powerband numbers would make me say no. None of the 90mm manifolds will bottle neck you -- all will feed your motor in the upper range.

What I mean about need/want -- I'd love to polish the hell out of a vic jr and be able to ice the manifold at the track. Plus, I don't want to have to take apart the FAST and re-seal it for my boost level. For other guys, the FAST is perfect -- n2o bosses built in, not aluminum, etc.

If that means you have them, then I think you could be experiencing some valve float issues also with using the stock rocker.  Do they make any noise?

not any more than what a 6.0 would with 918s

You have 918s??? I thought your cam was much bigger than what a 918 could handle.

Tapping is what I was referring to. Valve float you may not hear though. You may still be having that.

Plan for you: get a bigger cam (I remember you saying mine wasn't that big - so even bigger), adjustable rocker setup, double springs. :D Make it a Valentines gift from Kitty. :thumbs:

No i dont have 918s or do i have a 6.0 :P i was just referring the sound to that. i think i have thought all day and i am pretty sure i have the 850s which are just the replacement lifters. A bigger cam is in the near future as probably the R lifters and adjustable rockers. I am going tomorrow after noon to the track and make a few passes just to get a good baseline then go from there

Damn you have had that thing in there for a while and you are just now getting track numbers on it? :P

when he first put it in he had to go to alaska and didn't take the SSS. i took it to the track with the 408 in it, but i was having some trouble with too much KR* and it didn't run a number worth postin.

Archived