Buying an Si

Luke

Gas prices are eating at my wallet, so I'm buying a Honda (I'm keeping the SS by the way). Has anyone seen one? I think it will be a great daily driver (fun too!) Any thoughts?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it strictly for gas mileage? Or were you just looking into another car also?

Because if for gas mileage reasons, the car payment alone on the Si would be enough to feed the SS gas...I dont see how or where you would save money with a new car payment and still having to fuel the car...

Why not get a cobalt SS...similar price and mileage?

But to each their own...Good luck with the Si

Be American, Buy American. Before you start saying how they're made here, ultimately the $$ goes to Japan. We've given them enough reparations. Just my opinion, I wish it were shared by more.

Dave

:flag: Cooper Tires too! American Made by an American Owned Company. :flag:

Be American, Buy American. Before you start saying how they're made here, ultimately the $$ goes to Japan. We've given them enough reparations. Just my opinion, I wish it were shared by more.

Dave

:flag: Cooper Tires too! American Made by an American Owned Company. :flag:

:withstupid::flag:

I bet if you check into it, a good majority of the components and assembly for honda - america are made/assembled here in the us.

I designed the OEM and aftermarket hitch for the Civics and know that the hitches are manufactured in Goshen, IN.

The SI's are pretty decent looking - I would rather have 00-04 Civic though.

Dave

:rolleyes: I've given up on this; there will always be those that think America owes them reparations - the Japanese, the African Americans, the Native Americans, the Confederate states... I don't think we're ever going to hear the end of this as long as we're alive anyway!

Mr. P. :)

Dave

Where does the money ultimately go? If Hondas weren't available or if we raised our taxes and tariffs on imports then American cars would be much more attractive. I wonder what a Cobalt SS costs in Japan? I'm not tryin to be a prick, it's your money...I'm done. :flag:

Wow, I didn't expect to stir things up with this post. I did look into the Cobalt, but that K20 in the Si is a sweet little n.a. engine. I miss my 00' reg. cab Xtreme and want a smaller vehicle w/ a manual trans. I'm sure there are many "American" alternatives, but the Si does it for me.

SoCalSS- This will be my second car, and $$$ isn't really an issue. I'll probably pay for half or more when I buy it.

Hey montanaSS was it a Si that you test drove? The Si is a whole different animal than the EX/DX/LX.

64 comet afx- your job is safe!

SoCalSS- This will be my second car, and $$$ isn't really an issue.  I'll probably pay for half or more when I buy it.

Well, you mentioned gas prices eating at your wallet...So it seems $$$ is sort of an issue other wise the post wouldnt have started off with the initial comment of gas prices...

I would put the 10K (half the price) down on something else other than a car that will depreciate in value right off the lot...

Either way, hope the civic works out...Just make sure its black :thumbs:

Naw, I just like to complain (I work at an oil refinery)! I agree with you about investing that 10k elsewhere, but I've been saving up and want to keep my payments low. Thanks for the input.

I'll see what I can't do about getting one in black. :)

I think you made the proper choice if your looking for a vehicle to get good fuel economy and have a good resale value when your finished with it. Those Hondas just hold their value well.

As for the buy American aspect, with these multinational corporations the profits do not strictly go to Japan or Germany etc. and hurt our economy. Does buying a Chevrolet ensure that the profits made on the truck goes towards America. Not necessarily foreign ownership is huge part of these automobile companies. In fact a large percentage of the holdings of some foreign automakers are held in North America. If you buy an Izuzu are you helping the Japanese? Since GM has a slice in it GM shares the profits and some of the moeny goes back to America. How much of Toyota, Honda corporations are actually Japan owned. It's not as large as you think. I find that the Japanese are actually opening more North American plants, thus hiring more workers, investing money in our economy. Thus the profits are pumped straight back into the buying market. GM and Ford are closing multiple plants all over North America and using Mexican labour due to the damn unions. Buy a Dodge/Chrysler, German's have a share in that too. I don't think you should buy a vehicle based on where you assume the profits are destined. Foreign investment and multinational corporations play a major part in our economy. Buy what you like.

Archived