High School Reunion

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanx everyone,  Its just been a bad past 2 weeks.

Dude, please believe me when I tell you this - I was just there a few years ago, you and I have a lot of similar life experiences and I know what you mean.

My father told me once - "You really can't care what other people think; on the other hand, you have to live with people too!" I would quit worrying about how you appear to your classmates and focus more on yourself.

Mr. P.

ya see, in high school i was a prick one reason and one reason only, as i told you all i use to have a camaro pretty nice, well i had it painted, all the cheerleaders wrote on it with lipstick about 2 days after i got it painted and wrote **** all over my car shit like that so i did the old minnows in the lockers over christmas vaction man did the hallway stink

I haven't had a college education either. I signed up to go, but just really didn't want to do it.

I skipped my 5 year, and my 10 year reunion. WTF do I care what these people think of me? I don't see many of my "Friends" from High School anymore. Once in a great while, I'll run into one. We don't even have much to say (small talk).

The thing I've noticed is the friends I have now, are the ones I have the most in common with.

And, if all that doesn't help, I always fall back on this one that my Grandma used to say.

"Everyone's an A$$, except for me and you, and I'm not so sure about you."

Did those people just walked up and say"Hi i'm a doctor" or "Hello I'm a lawer" ??? I hate to go to reunions where people ask "So what do you do now?" To me it's just an oppertunity for them to brag about their lives. I'm happy they're doing well but it's kind of condescending to me. Next time what ever they say they are now just ask them this: "BUT CAN YOU KICK MY ASS?!!!

Don't fret about 5 or 10 year reunions.

That's really not enough time to see many wholesale changes for people to go through in life. Nobody has reached 30 yet. Better to wait until the 20-25 year reunion. Most people will have experienced a whole different range of challenges by the time they get to their late 30-40s. Jocks lose their hair and cheerleaders get fat too :devil:... or both

I had more fun at my 25th reunion than any of the earlier ones for a lot of the same reasons you posted about how people changed or HAD NOT changed. People seem to become more accepting as they grow older of people that they don't see very often. HUMBLE maybe :dunno:. Life does have a way of doing that ;)

My reunion was particularly fun for me because nobody recognized me when I got there. I had not changed that much, weight, hair or otherwise, I do have a beard now, but a lot of people did not recognize me. The looks were priceless when they did remember. I'll go again this year for the 32nd ( they can't count to 5 :dunno: ).

Again,sage advice from Mr P. :cool:

Don't be too hard on yourself, time will equal things out :cheers:

Besides you'll be remembered for pissing on the carpet :thumbs:

Wow, I am going to sound very old here. My 10yr reunion was two years ago this May and I didn't go. The kids that were in my class were all a bunch of rich snobs, their parents had money and got their kids anything they wanted. I on the other hand wasn't from a rich family and I was also quiet, so I was rejected by everyone.

I didn't go to the reunion because I didn't want to see all the kids that made my 4 years of life nothing but a living hell. I sort of wish I went just to see how everyone is still in that same 'clique' group as they were while in school, but at the same time I had a feeling that I would end up punching everyone I hated right in the face.

I'm sure a lot of them went to college and got a degree, which is something I didn't, so I know that would of been thrown into my face if I went. I gave college a try and hated it so much that I dropped out. I also didn't want to be forced into taking clases for something that had nothing to do with what type of work I wanted to do, which was in the information technology field. So I went to a tech school and got my degree that way.

I guess what it all comes down to is what everyone else has said so far, if your happy doing what your doing, then you made it in life. :)

Now if I could only win the darn loto. :smash:

wow sounds like nobody had fun in high school. Sorry you reunion didn't go so well. you should have went to my high school. 90% of the people were cool. I was a jock but I come from a hard working farming family so I was a friendly person. I hung out with who ever was in my classes. It was nice to see all my old football friends but I also talked to my other friends. Don't let those A-holes get to you. I've never let anybody get to me. I'm the kind of person who doesn't care what others think. I'm probably one of the few people in my office who wears blue jeans to work every day :D . I don't care too much for suits and all that shit. Like I said I don't care what people think of me and I work with a bunch of stuck up people. Drink a beer or two and call up a real friend.

ya see, in high school i was a prick one reason and one reason only, as i told you all i use to have a camaro pretty nice, well i had it painted, all the cheerleaders wrote on it with lipstick about 2 days after i got it painted and wrote **** all over my car shit like that so i did the old minnows in the lockers over christmas vaction man did the hallway stink

LOL Hey I know; my first vehicle was a '77 Chevy truck, and on spring break of my senior year I moved from Tucson AZ (Marana actually) to Escalon CA (Modesto) and I entered Escalon HS with a 3.96-GPA and trust me nobody likes the outside loner kid that always blows the bell curve, the second week I was there I had the doors and bed sides kicked in, $1400 damage (and that was 1986 dollars); I *hate* that goddamned place (Escalon), I decided right then I was just passing through.

Mr. P.

wow sounds like nobody had fun in high school. ...

This is common, I hear it a lot when the subject comes up. I don't know very many people that can say they had an enjoyable or positive high school experience. But the blame for that goes a lot further than the school itself, as you can imagine from the tidbit stories of my life my childhood was not at all a happy one and that really "colored" my own experience.

Pilots don't need rear-view mirros, that's what I say. Time to move forward; my goal now is to do what I can so my own kids have the positive teen years I did not have.

Mr. P.

I had a pretty good high school experience, it was a great time. Although there will always be people that I did not get along with back in the day, I did not shun them at my 5 year reunion. I just made small talk. As everyone has gotten older they should have matured enough just to treat everyone as acquaintances as most have gone their seperate ways. I still have great buds from high school, but it is not exactly the same anymore. Once you've all grown up its time to start competing in the work place and people change. In every class some will become more successful than others and it is just a fact of life. You shouldn't feel down or depressed as someone did something different with their life. You should do what you want to do and makes you happy. The lawyer may have chosen his career for the fiscal gains but the stress and unhappiness that comes with the job is something that he is not telling you. ALso you still have a long road ahead and success can come at any point in it. As for going to college, unfortunately I feel that in the workplace it is becoming more and more necessary to get a good job. Although some might disagree getting a degree does show that you are able to cope with post secondary education material and that you can balance a workload.

I went to my 10-year and was pretty disappointed.  Most everyone hung out in the same cliques they did in high school - the cheerleaders hung out with the cheerleaders, the jocks hung out with the jocks, etc.  It was pretty pathetic actually, seems like most of the people never grew at all after they graduated...not enough to know that you should be kind to everyone.

Most of the night I hung out with an old wrestling buddy who ended up going to divinity school and becoming a preacher.  He was married and had 5 kids.  I sat at a table with him and his wife and they were both way cool - the coolest people at the whole thing, and the only ones worth talking to.  If it weren't for them, the whole thing would have been a complete bust.

:withstupid: Same with my 5 year except I got a lot more hellos (and a kiss on the cheek from a guy I have not talked to since elementary school). Its kind of funny. I changed so much and the people (aka guys) that would never have given me a chance, talked to me. And of course they only got a hello in return. I think the best part at the reunion was the snotty biznatches that never talked to me in high school approached me away from their cliques and wanted to start a conversation. haha. In the end I left with my close friends from high school and we went out drinking. It was fun and I am glad I did not stoop to the other people's level. 5 years out and still childish!!! So don't beat yourself up over it. You love what you do and who cares if you did not finish college. You are a human being and other people should never get you down. Rub it off your shoulder and continue your life. Be Happy!

High School Reunions..... I personally think they are BS. I've been out of HS for about 16 years now, and have never looked back. You say that you never see some of your friends from school. But hey, people grow up, people change.... Time marches on. If they were good enough friends to begin with, you would still be in contact with them today. As I say, you can count all of your true friends on one hand.... The rest are just acquaintances.

Being a Police Officer in my home town, I see all of the A$$ Clowns I went to school with every Thanksgiving, when everyone comes home. Hell, It is soooooo funny that they are all "My Best Friend" now that I am a Cop, on duty, and not hanging out at the bar ... if you catch my drift.... I just distance myself from people like that.....

Keep your chin up .... Don't get depressed ... BTW ... I too didn't finish college. Infact I am still quite a few credits shy of getting my degree. But hey, I have a great job, make an honest living, and now I have started back to school. Yeah it's tough.... College, Midnight Shifts, Wife, puppies, sleep.... It all adds up to Chaos... But hell, If I can do it, you can too..... You will do it when your ready.

So it was an open bar there and a I drank to much and got sick.

Not to harp on you.... But wasn't there a thread a little while ago regarding yourself and this issue??? You came home to an empty house??? Please don't let this get the best of you. Trust me... I see it every night..... It isn't pretty!!!

I've never actually been to a HS reunion, I'm only 21, but I don't ever plan on goin. I still hang out with a lot of my friends from high school, I figure all the people from high school that I really care about I still keep in touch with anyways and in 5-10-20 years from now I won't care at all about what the other people I went to high school with think about me. I'm kind of against the way that people approach their high school reunions. All everyone wants to do is show off their new Mercedes, or the boob job that they bought their wife. Come on, who cares, the only people you should be concerned about are the people in your life right now. And if you do go to your high school reunion it should be to catch up with old friends or makes new ones not to impress a bunch of people that you probably didn't like in the first place. So don't sweat it man just work hard and do the things that make you happy and forget the rest. My .02...

Archived