Chips and tuners

SSminneapolis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted on Sep 12 2003, 01:47 PM

anyone getting the predator should get a (head)  ...go with the superchips...  

:nono: I've got a predator, i'd like to see you try your (head) :smash:

Bad experience with them? or just a dealer of them?

Haynss,

Please tell us about the preditor on your SS. Did you get to play with things without causing the truck to stop working. Thoughts please.

BigTex, doesn't that LS-1 Edit require the Autotap or EV? live to work correctly? I am assuming that is quite an investment...(by the time you get it at $550 and the autotap at $300) ???

i remember that post...the predator actually removed the performace program from the trucks computer and lost the stock one...he then had to bring the truck to the dealer and have everything redownloaded to the trucks computer...then he had the predator replaced and everything worked fine...probably just a bad unit...i think that everything went fine from there...

Haynss,

Please tell us about the preditor on your SS. Did you get to play with things without causing the truck to stop working. Thoughts please.

When I first did the install I played with a couple things after asking the tech rep what I can play with to improve performance without having to dyno it to test every little change. Things worked great. I then left it for about 4 months, then was watching some Trucks! and thought let me check out what i've got on there since I forgot. Before I could play with it again the computer just shut me down. I think it was a bad unit, and got Diablo to replace the predator and everything seems to be fine now. I was going to play with it again but I have to go to my baseball game now, will post after I play again. :thumbs:

Haynss,

When I first did the install I played with a couple things after asking the tech rep what I can play with to improve performance without having to dyno it to test every little change. Things worked great. I then left it for about 4 months, then was watching some Trucks! and thought let me check out what i've got on there since I forgot. Before I could play with it again the computer just shut me down. I think it was a bad unit, and got Diablo to replace the predator and everything seems to be fine now. I was going to play with it again but I have to go to my baseball game now, will post after I play again. :thumbs:

I guess my biggest questions are pertaining to Torque managment. Can you adjust it all the way to off and anywhere in between? Or do they force you to take a predetermined aggressive TM setting? do you get individual questions to respond to? Or do they lay out their version of programming and you are done, unless you want to "play" with advanced settings?

If it is the same as hypertech, you just answer "yes" for firmer shifts.  Hopefully there's more to it than that though.

Yes sir. That's why I ask. I am debating the Diablo, SuperChips (doubt it), and just the LS-1 Edit with EVI Live. I am a bit nervous about using the LS-1 Edit as I know I can get that thing really messed up quickly... and though I am a smart man, sometimes, I am only smart enough to screw it up!

Secondly, my wife has a 2002 Suburban, and if I can enhance her truck for minimal extra dollars, I am all about that.

The predator has adjustable settings for shifting. You can increase firmness 0-25% and increase speed 0-25%. Also can set an rpm and mph for each shift. It's my understanding that at WOT it goes by RPM otherwise it goes by mph. Here is a post that I saved from Y2KSilverado, he was very helpful in telling me the features of the Predator. :

Yes, the Predator removes a lot of the TM but not all. The Proflash removes some too but not all, not even in performance mode. The Predator shifts are better than the Proflash in my opinion, faster and crisper. With the Proflash, all you can pick is the mode for the trans tuning (normal, rv/tow, perf., etc.). With the Predator, you can makes the shifts faster and firmer, and you can vary it yourself, it's a user option. The shifts speed can be increased or decreased by 25%, I have mine set for -25%, the fastest possible. The firmness can also be +/- 25%, I have each gear different. The 1-2 shift is 20% firmer, 2-3 is 15% firmer and 3-4 is 10% firmer. I still like the Predator much better than the Proflash, more user picked options. I've used the "live data" mode quite a bit, it's cool. You make a change to the timing or fuel curve and then you can monitor the engine to see what the changes did. Way cool!

Another option is the SPE Proflash, I've spoken to them and they have done 3 SS that I know of. But the Proflash is a set program for rev limit, shifting, etc. But there are 3 or 4 different programs to choose from. The Proflash also has timing advance up to 10%. I almost went with the Proflash but the Predator has more options.

• 3 weeks later...
the superchips tuner does a great job with the shift points...stock when gunning it there is a huge delay and when the tranny shifts there is a consideradle jump as well...after install...from a dead stop to full thorttle...it really smooths the process out...and the shifts you are hardly feel....torque management is okay...overall i wish i hadn't lost as much on the bottom end...but the gains that it makes on the top are wonderful...when passing someone who is going 60..all that is needed in a slight throttle adjustment...any more than that and i get catapulted about 10 car lengths beyond where i was intending...

SSminneapolis:

2 Questions:

You said you wish you hadn't lost as much on the bottom end with your Superchips tuner. What did you loose on the bottom end? Did it affect your 0-60 negatively??

Also, when the programmer changes the shift points, firmness, and speeds, how is the tow/haul mode affected? Can you reprogram those points too?

ghanvass,

there is as much of a jump from 0-?whatever...i think it had more to do with the exhaust...i do not believe that it hurt times...just does't snap the nexk back like the first week i had my truck...but then again i may be getting used to it...

nothing is done for the tow haul mode either way...it remains the same...however the superchips tuner recommends that if you are towing over ?? pounds that you switch from the performance program to the towing program...it is a seperate program that can be downloaded...

i haven't done that yet...haven't towed anything heavy enough...you might want to give superchips a call...they might be albe to help out more...

Archived