OK now what?

Part 6 is out. The black SS is done and will probably be sold. The current Chevy High Performance Silverado truck articles seem like a rehash of what was already done to the SS (headers, suspension, brakes, tranny upgrade, supercharger, etc.). I am looking for new ideas for mods to a stock truck that haven't been done before. For example:

1) Tranny shift point optimization based on measurements from HP Tuners or Autotap.

2) How to use the new OBD2 emulator for tuning (this is a new product that can speed up the home tuning process).

Any thoughts? Any nearby (Pittsburgh PA) truck volunteers?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any thoughts?  Any nearby (Pittsburgh PA) truck volunteers?

Pitt is about 3 hrs from me but if needed, I am available.

How about boost vs timing. What will net the most gain on radix blown application? smaller pulley or more timing with meth / intercooler upgrades.

Come on guys, CHP needs more truck articles!

how about a 408? and a bigger blower? the 4l80 is a great idea too. maybe something about gettign them to release those bilsteins :D

I like where your head is at, but if we're dreaming for a stroker motor, why not get World Products to sponsor it (heck, it's going to be a magazine truck!) and get a new 454 block? Oooooooooo, new SS454!!! :cool:

How about doing something for an SSS that really needs to be done, like someone stepping up for the 4L80 swap finally? These trannies are weak! :banghead:

There are alot of 11 and 12 second SS's running the 65E and some still on the original trans with only a shift kit and converter for a mod. It's not that weak.

How about doing something for an SSS that really needs to be done, like someone stepping up for the 4L80 swap finally? These trannies are weak! :banghead:

There are alot of 11 and 12 second SS's running the 65E and some still on the original trans with only a shift kit and converter for a mod. It's not that weak.

It doesn't do much for your comfort level though - at least that is the way I feel. Sure would be nice to feel fairly comfortable to do a 150-shot on my motor.

:eek: News to me... Where are the guys that are going through 4-5 transmissions with Radix and TQ management removed???

Besides a larger input shaft and a revised 5 gear planet, (and the obvious electronic controls) what has GM done internally to make it better than the old 700R4's and 60E's that have never been a performance trans? I know it still has quite a jump in ratio going from 1st to 2nd, which doesn't make it weak, but it still makes me pine for a closer ratio trans... :thumbs:

I like the tranny idea, but don't see how it would do much for the Magazine. A lot for us, for sure. Especially, if they figured out how to get through all of the wickets (technical term) to get it there, where their parts came from, etc.. Not sure if it lives up to the previous articles of increasing performance, at least in the way I look at it. They may other opinions.

A NA FAST 90 w/90mm TB may be a good thing to do.

:eek: News to me... Where are the guys that are going through 4-5 transmissions with Radix and TQ management removed???

Besides a larger input shaft and a revised 5 gear planet, (and the obvious electronic controls) what has GM done internally to make it better than the old 700R4's and 60E's that have never been a performance trans? I know it still has quite a jump in ratio going from 1st to 2nd, which doesn't make it weak, but it still makes me pine for a closer ratio trans... :thumbs:

Good question, where are they? Other than Fuelslut and JohnmalibuSS, it hasn't been that bad of a problem. AZFastestSS is on the stock trans yet, BigTex is also if I recall, Krambo is on the stock trans without even a shift kit, Kurt from W2W (427) went 11.8 on his 65E and changed to the 80E after the front pump died on his, Mwallls54 went 12.3 with his before it was upgraded and is now back to a stock trans with his 408 after a pump failure on his upgraded 65E due to a loss of fluid misshap, etc, etc, etc. Hell, our top 10 starts at 12.587 for the slowest truck and only one doesn't have the 65E (although he did run a 11.8 when he had the 65E). Even the magazine truck made over 300 passes on it's 65E and over 200 were on the all stock trans with only a shift kit and converter. At it's tear down it looked absolutely fine and was only upgraded for the article and for future poundings.

I would like to see an article on a car intake swap to a truck.

Any mod ideas for a relatively stock engine?  There are two readership camps: the larger camp is the relatively stock people and the other camp is the radical HP nuts. 

The shift point optimization and the emulation based tuning idea can appeal to everyone.

That's not a bad idea, but most guys into stock stuff are extremely afraid of any self tuning. :dunno:

I think a tune-it-yourself How-to would be nice. I'm pretty sure HPtuners or EFIlive will be my next purchase. It would be really nice to get a step by step course on where to start and some pointers. This site is a great place to start, but a how-to would be nice. I wish I lived closer or I'd volunteer. Later

Dave

Any mod ideas for a relatively stock engine?  There are two readership camps: the larger camp is the relatively stock people and the other camp is the radical HP nuts. 

The shift point optimization and the emulation based tuning idea can appeal to everyone.

I like the shift point optimization angle alot. I would like to see data on both upshift and downshift changes. Specifically related to TPS and/or speed and/or rpm.

Basically an in depth cause and effect article, such as, when we did this, we noticed this.....etc.

not just the simple "my truck shifts better at X rpm"

Archived