5th wheels

Firestorm

I have seen a few SS with 5th wheels in them.  i would think they have the same rating as a 1/2 ton,  i would suggest getting air bags for extra help on the rear.

you sure about that? I remember there being a whole topic before on this and why it couldnt be done. :dunno:

I'll save the sarcastic search link for later and just answer this one. You could pull a 5th wheel if you took the wheels off and put on factory 16-17" with tires rated for the load. The 20s aren't rated for that kind of weight. Also short bed and 5th wheel = :nono:

i did the search and found a thread that wasnt conclusive, looking for more up to day info i guess. and i do have my old 16" gmc alloys off my 2000 z71.

dealer says trucks payload is 1400 lbs, and can tow up to 10000 lbs. provided 5th wheel cab clearance and tounge weight is within spec.

i found a slideout 26' that has 1,130 tongue and weighs 5900 dry.

sounds about as big as i'd want to push it.

i still have my old pcm to keep some tq. managment.

and i put air ride on another of my vehicles, it is nice option.

hmmm......

i did the search and found a thread that wasnt conclusive, looking for more up to day info i guess.  and i do have my old 16" gmc alloys off my 2000 z71.

dealer says trucks payload is 1400 lbs, and can tow up to 10000 lbs. provided 5th wheel cab clearance and tounge weight is within spec.

i found a slideout 26' that has 1,130 tongue and weighs 5900 dry.

sounds about as big as i'd want to push it.

i still have my old pcm to keep some tq. managment.

and i put air ride on another of my vehicles, it is nice option.

hmmm......

what exactly is "payload"? i've always wondered that. is it how much weight you can put in the bed?

Ok i did some research on this, the standard truck tire P and LT 265/75/R16 has a rating of around 2601@35psi. the Eagle LS 275/55/R20 has a load rating of 2403@44psi. Not a real big difference It really depends how far and how many times are you going to be pulling the trailer? few times a week? Twice a year? If you were to pull this 5th wheel alot i would consider getting LT265/75/R16 with a load rating of at least E. with Air Bags for extra support for the suspension. But if you just plan on doing it a few times the stock tires will work but I would get some more support for the suspension.

All I could find about towing a 5th Wheel is on page 4-68 of the '03 owners manual:

Notice: If your vehicle is equiped with the SS trim package, do not pull a fifth-wheel camper or you could damage your vehicle.

Doesn't say what could be damaged.

hard to say what could be damaged. ss has the 3/4 ton transmission, and enought power. we have enhanced braking over a regular 1500 it seems, or is it the circumference of the 20's that keeps the tires cooler to stop better? the ss weighs more than the trailer ive seen as well. my stealership cant answer my questions, except that buy a new one, it can tow!

what a load of crap.

my 03, has 38,000kms on it or about 24,000 miles. why get a new one?

hard to say what could be damaged.  ss has the 3/4 ton transmission, and enought power. we have enhanced braking over a regular 1500 it seems, or is it the circumference of the 20's that keeps the tires cooler to stop better? the ss weighs more than the trailer ive seen as well.  my stealership cant answer my questions, except that buy a new one, it can tow!

what a load of crap.

my 03, has 38,000kms on it or about 24,000 miles.  why get a new one?

The ss only has a upgraded 1/2 ton tranny.

Why is a short bed and a 5th wheel a 'no-no'?  I can see the 20 inch wheels not being rated and thats fixed easily with other rims, but the short bed is not an issue.

I believe they are referring to clearance for the turning raduis of the trialer....

At my glass shop, I have replaced more than one back glass of someone who has turned too tight towing a 5th wheel with a 6' bed...

Archived