Burn outs....

a-blur-by-you

Ok so I may be asking something one has answered already.. :dunno:

Is there a proper technique or a for sure way to do a burn out? I have had M/T's so this is a learning experience for me in an A/T. I have heard different things, shed some light heavy footers!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First turn traction control off. Then apply the brakes with your left foot. At the same time put the gas pedal to the floor. You may want to pull the gear selector down into first gear to keep it from upshifting. This is how you "power brake" after they get smoking real good let off of the brake and keep the gas to the floor, this should leave some impressive looknig black marks :driving:

Just smoking them in general, but is there a difference between a track burn out and a street burnout besides the water they lay out on the track? :dunno:

Yeah you're going to do a little different burn out at the track than you would for an all out smoke show. I would suggest flying Zippy down to demonstrate for ya :driving::jester:

Just smoking them in general, but is there a difference between a track burn out and a street burnout besides the water they lay out on the track? :dunno:

Yeah you're going to do a little different burn out at the track than you would for an all out smoke show. I would suggest flying Zippy down to demonstrate for ya :driving::jester:

Not a bad idea..how about a zippy tune here in Texas? Any takers?

He's got the right idea. Turning off the traction control is a must. If you accidently leave it on you'll know right away, I've done that with a VHO. :jester::banghead: Apply no more brake than it takes to hold the truck back, then pull shifter to first. This will keep the trans from shifting when you don't expect it and the trans is a bit stronger with the shifter in first. Roll into the throttle and pay attention to the rpm. You won't need to go wide open as this will just bring you right to the rev limiter. If you're really trying to make some smoke and you have enough power, you can shift to second. At the track this is a common thing to do since tire speed is more important when you are trying to both heat the tires and get the water off of them. As for just a smoke show, usually just holding it in first to around 5k for 10-15 seconds then releasing the brake and holding it on the mat for as far as it will spin them should cover it. As for a burnout at the track, that is a bit different...

First things first, turn off the traction control... :banghead: (I've forgotten this twice in the VHO I took to the track). Drive around the water if possible and then back into it. Pulling straight through the water is ok, but this can be a problem with the front tires dragging water to the starting line. Anyway, pull into the water as instructed by the burnout box employee. When he tells you to light them up, pull out of the water by a foot or two. This is to keep you from spinning water up onto the quarters of the truck and dripping it onto the track for the next guy. Apply the brake again, just enough to hold the truck back, pull the shifter to first, and roll into the throttle. Check both mirror's to make sure that both are spinning. This is very important if you are still runnning the stock gov-lock. If they aren't both spinning, plan to do a second burnout to get the non-spinning tire clean or when you launch that is the tire that will spin. Once you are sure both are spinning, roll into the throttle a touch more until you see the tach swing past 5k, shift to second. Once into second, roll onto the throttle even heavier (to the floor if necessary) and let off the brakes. From there you just spin the tires another 10-15 feet. When you're doing a burnout with street radials, distance is more important than how long you sit in one place. About a 3 second count or so pretty much does it for how long you're sitting before releasing the brake, but pretty much if you see smoke in the mirror's you're ok. The street radials need some heat to them, but mostly cleaning off the top layer of rubber and getting all of the water off of them does the job.

Archived