Going to be lowering mine

rico750sxi

Well the shackles will be here tomorrow, I got 2* shims too in case I need them. I'm going to just turn down the front at first and see how it works out. If it's too soft I'm going to add stiffer shocks. Going to try without the shims forst and see how I make out as far as vibration. Any tips guys on the install or setups that worked for you? Seems like 7 turns is the way to go in the front, but what about trimming the bumpstops? I've heard of some trimming them and some that haven't been trimmed. What should I do with the back bumpstops also, have people been replacing them? And if so, with what? I didn't order anything for the rear. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not going to do the lowering until I get my new digital camera(again, thanks for the help) so I can take before, during, and after pics.

I've heard people say they have had to remove their trailer hitch to install the shackles. I just looked and it seems like I should be able to change them without removing the hitch.

Take off the hitch and the spare. You will be glad you did. You cannot pull out this bolt if you dont take out the hitch:

33918495.jpg

Here are a couple more tips. Take the bottom bolt out first like below:

33918477.jpg

Then lower the jack so the leaf springs almost touch the bed of the truck. Then you will be able to remove the remaining bolt like so:

33918487.jpg

This should speed things up for you. You do not have to take the spare out but it doesn't take long, and gives you a lot more room to work with. I did one side at a time and put my 22 inch jack as far back on the frame right in front of the rear tire. You will have to finess it to get it to the right heights. To get the first bolt out you have to relieve all pressure from the leaf springs.

Here's an update on the lowering project. I got the front done and the trailer hitch off on the rear. Then I ran out of light. Also, if anyone's noticed one of my posts froma few days ago; guess what FedEx delivered this morning??

Before:

34043972.jpg

Bumpstop before:

34043781.jpg

Bumpstop after:

34043968.jpg

After, had to use paintshop to increase brightness because it was getting kind of dark:

34043813.jpg

It took me a little less than an hour to do the front. That includes jacking, removing the tires, cutting the bumpstops(with a hacksaw blade), turning the torsion bar bolts(7 turns), and reinstalling the wheels.

The hitch took me 15 minutes after a run to the hardware store for deep well 1/2 inch sockets so I could use my electric impact gun.

Archived