Lowered My SS

vdrumright

I like your thinking, as I have wondered about this too. My vibration under thottle was there before lowering, and of course is still there. I've heard to many stories of shims not working and wondered about the balance of the shaft in general. Thanks for confirming my suspisions! :thumbs:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I installed the 2* shims in mine and it didn't help the vibration. After posting my problem on FSC.com a couple guys said I should reverse the shims. So I'm going to try and reverse the shims and see what happens. Now though I may get a couple hose clamps and try that out. My thing is I didn't have this before so I figured the shims were the way to go. Not sure what I'll do now. I really don't want to have to remove the driveshaft. I may bite the bullet and buy the GroundForce kit.

Hey dfs, how did you know where to put the clamps, just trial and error?

rico

I went through the whole process of installing the shims - small ones - big ones - also reversed them as well. The vibration remained. Historically, I have found that the vibrations are generally caused by the front and rear u-joints being 'out of phase'. When a vehicle is lowered, the pinion angle at the diff is changed - potentially changing the angle of the joints enogh to place them out of phase. The shims were used to bring the angle back to 'stock'.

I can't see how any 'kit' will change much. The ones I have seen all use the same concept - shackles in the rear, and keys in the front. I'm not sure what the keys will do for you, that unwinding the bars won't. With the SS, you can only go so low without messing up the angles of your front half shafts. You can get to that point by just turning the bars.

The clamp weights were put on as a test to see if it would make a difference - to help narrow down the source of the vibration. As a pure guess, the clamps were installed a tthe rear of the drive shaft, with the worm screws placed in line with a weight that was already welded to the shaft. I got very lucky that spot showed an improvement. If the vibration is more severe, change the rotational placement of the clamps. It may take a bit of time to find the right spot, but it will let you know if it is the shaft, and might save you some cash for the kit. Good luck.

Don

I'm pretty sure my vibration isn't being caused by the front. When I had only the front lowered I took it for a ride and I didn't notice anything. This only developed when I lowered the rear. This is what leads me to believe it's my pinion angle. I've only had this since installing the shackles.

Archived