launch techniqe

sslover

Actually, if you wait for the green light, you are waiting too long, no matter what you are driving. It takes your mind and body a good 1/2 a second or more to react to the light. That is why they recommend you look at the last yellow light and punch it on the last yellow. If you have "normal" reflexes, that will give you the slightly over 1/2 second reaction time you are suppose to have (any faster and you get red lighted).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, if you wait for the green light, you are waiting too long, no matter what you are driving. It takes your mind and body a good 1/2 a second or more to react to the light. That is why they recommend you look at the last yellow light and punch it on the last yellow. If you have "normal" reflexes, that will give you the slightly over 1/2 second reaction time you are suppose to have (any faster and you get red lighted).

I understand that, what I'm trying to say, is you better start another light early if your going to just punch it. :thumbs:

ridnlow135:

That’s news to me that you don’t have an SS, this whole time I thought others wise. :confused:

Anywho, I power braked and manually shifted from first gear around 5400rpm’s. Worked pretty good and I had a decent time, but it was really hot that night at 93dg outside so my times suffered. I will be going back to firebird soon now that the temp is down in the 70’s now, hopefully be able to justify the purchase of the ASM headers as well… :uhoh: come on mid 14’s *fingers crossed* :)

Well i had all intentions of getting an SS, i was saving my money but my Tahoe started falling apart and i had to have something so i just went with a 99 NBS.. i had to get a ls1 engine though :) Let me know how you do with the headers because i am definetly thinking about getting some AS&M headers.

I think instead of starting a light early why not just deep stage and mash it off idle I do believe that would be easier . And yes , I will be a Sac. raceway on the 18th .I have a Volant cold air , Superchips programming ,and a spintech muffler . I hope to geta 14 something out of my S.S. this time ... :cheers:

I think instead of starting a light early why not just deep stage and mash it off idle I do believe that would be easier . And yes , I will be a Sac. raceway on the 18th .I have a Volant cold air , Superchips programming ,and a spintech muffler . I hope to geta 14 something out of my S.S. this time ... :cheers:

6 of one, half dozen of the other. Same conclusion, just how you get there is different. :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

that'd be correct, time isn't the only thing that wins the race. a quicker time doesn't always win. oddly enough it seems to vary by the ss. the one i spent some time in went best at around 1200rpm or so on the converter then just stand on it. it's all in how much stall comes out of it. the more stall, the less you need to bring it up.

once your truck rolls out of the second beam, that's when the clock starts. the timer starts on the last yellow and goes green at .500. reaction time is only how long i takes before you react to it being green. you can sit there long after the guy is gone and your time hasn't started to clock yet which is why you can run faster than the next person, yet not beat them.

Archived