CAI - GM Performance Parts

Rays B4U

i installed a volant on my Viper Truck and ran 3 pulls with a stock intake and 3 with the volant. The best performance that the volant showed was a 3hp loss and the worst was 7hp. It sounded kewl but was weak in the numbers. Now remember this was on a Dodge Viper truck so it may perform better in the chevy but by looking at the setup I would bet that you have more Heat Soak with the Volant than you do stock.

To me the noisy ass intake intake isn't worth the gains (or losses)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i installed a volant on my Viper Truck and ran 3 pulls with a stock intake and 3 with the volant. The best performance that the volant showed was a 3hp loss and the worst was 7hp. It sounded kewl but was weak in the numbers. Now remember this was on a Dodge Viper truck so it may perform better in the chevy but by looking at the setup  I would bet that you have more Heat Soak with the Volant than you do stock. 

To me the noisy ass intake intake isn't worth the gains (or losses)

We had the same experience here with the original Volant product, honestly it flat out stunk and there was such an uproar on the board Volant quickly redesigned and produced the new/improved CAI (for GM trucks). I bought one of the first Outlaws myself.

Mr. P.

I wonder whose air cleaner element they used, it's not a K&N...

Mr. P.

i have that intake installed right now as a matter of fact. works fantastic, and i saw no losses on the dyno over my old K&N CAI. also, the filter element is a bright redish orange paper filter, disposable. GMPP makes it, its not like an airriad or k&n. IMO the k&n type is a higher flowing filter, but the GM one is huge and the airbox works really nice. IAT before the throttle body went down a good bit over the k&n..... also, the polished tube included with the GM kit will fit the k&n polished tube inside of it :eek: thats my favorite part

Kelly - Do es the GMPP intake kit sound any louder than the stock one?

I wonder whose air cleaner element they used, it's not a K&N...

Mr. P.

i have that intake installed right now as a matter of fact. works fantastic, and i saw no losses on the dyno over my old K&N CAI. also, the filter element is a bright redish orange paper filter, disposable. GMPP makes it, its not like an airriad or k&n. IMO the k&n type is a higher flowing filter, but the GM one is huge and the airbox works really nice. IAT before the throttle body went down a good bit over the k&n..... also, the polished tube included with the GM kit will fit the k&n polished tube inside of it :eek: thats my favorite part

Kelly - Do es the GMPP intake kit sound any louder than the stock one?

yea its louder, but i have a magnacharger so i dont really notice the difference lol. its about the same as my old k&n FIPK cai tho, but it looks way better and installs in like 10 seconds. also, like i said before, the GMPP tube swallowed the k&n tubing.... about an inch bigger :crazy:

The good part about the GM one is the warrenty issue. That's why you'd buy it.

I guess I really want to know if it makes a difference over the stock setup or not. I've read that alot of these aftermarket air intake (CAI) kits dont do anything but create noise. I've also read that keeping the stock box, swapping out the filter to a K&N or similar, and swapping out the tube that leads to the throttle body (ie. Air Raid Jr. Kit) is the best setup.

Zippy - could you clear this up for me once and for all?

• 4 months later...

I bought the GM Performance air intake yesterday. I will post pics and let everyone know how it turns out.

I've had a K&N FIPK for a while but just was never happy with the fit/finish and appearance. I found it for $309.95 here: Link

Edited by NebraSSka truck (see edit history)

i have one installed on mine.. i definitely noticed a little extra torque and some added passing power...

Don't really know about fuel economy... haven't had it on long enough to check any gains or losses =-/

But.... 1 thing i did notice... the damn thing rattles alot... metal on metal = :banghead:

Don't really know about fuel economy... haven't had it on long enough to check any gains or losses =-/

If it made a difference it is minimal. I have not noticed a change.

But.... 1 thing i did notice... the damn thing rattles alot... metal on metal = :banghead:

Mine does not rattle. Make sure you pushed the plastic nipple things on the bottom of the box fully into the rubber grommets of the tray underneath.

Mine does make a BAAAH or WAAAH sound when you drop the hammer at low RPM, but I think that is typical for all the CAI kits.

Mike