f150 harley davidson...

SSminneapolis

Slingsot, I may be be in Abilene for the test and tune/grudge night on the 31st.

I am playing in a softball tournament there on Saturday and may go up on friday and run the truck just to see where I am at.  I am down here in San Angelo. I am not sure if Wall Dragway is having any more test and tunes this year.

Sounds good... we're going to the Texas Tech football game Saturday, so Friday night TNT would be great. Killer looking truck BTW. Should be a very interesting matchup--mildly modded blown HD vs. blown/modded SS. Cool...

Sounds good to me. I love a little friendly competition. Take it easy on me though I have never driven at the track before. :uhoh: Could be ugly. I will also have my custom tune done by then also. Taking it to Nelson Performance in San Antonio on Saturday.

Here is the "challenge"

Seems it grew a little more than it should have on the HD site.

Don't get me wrong, I think it will be a blast, but not sure it will love up to the hype. Until I read the thread on HD site I didn't even know Abilene was an 1/8 mile track.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ken, How is your truck running? We have never met, but by way of the internet, I've seen you around before. As I recall, you were pretty knowledgeable about the HD trucks and had a fairly quick one yourself. At the time, I was trying to get a race setup between myself and Jeff White (GT40 GTS). His father Roger came around another forum asking if anyone could beat his sons fast HD or something. Anyway, the race never happened. Of course, I have a family and kids, and I think he may also, so two grown men racing each other in pickup trucks wasn't too high on the priority list. :) Anyway, I seem to remember reading several of your posts at the time on the F150world site.

Just wanted to say Hi as its always good to meet other intelligent people with similar interests. Welcome aboard.

Richard

I absolutely have to say that that red ss is one of the baddest looking trucks i have seen period. The attention to detail in just the pics is Awesome. In person I am sure it is even better. I am a die hard 1/4 mile nut. I respect a guy for running 18.20's in his 2500hd . That is cool for that truck. But do not say it is as fast a an ss silverado, get my point?

Which Red SS are you talking about? Lees?

Hey Ken, How is your truck running? We have never met, but by way of the internet, I've seen you around before. As I recall, you were pretty knowledgeable about the HD trucks and had a fairly quick one yourself. At the time, I was trying to get a race setup between myself and Jeff White (GT40 GTS). His father Roger came around another forum asking if anyone could beat his sons fast HD or something. Anyway, the race never happened. Of course, I have a family and kids, and I think he may also, so two grown men racing each other in pickup trucks wasn't too high on the priority list. :) Anyway, I seem to remember reading several of your posts at the time on the F150world site.

Just wanted to say Hi as its always good to meet other intelligent people with similar interests. Welcome aboard.

Richard

Thanks, BigTex... Welcomes are always appreciated. I try to do my homework... study study study... I don't know enough about your trucks (yet), but I'm hoping to see you guys start to find a "groove" with the mods that get you guys a relatively predictable return on investment... Ours is chipnpulleynfilter. Then all the misc. boltons for 5hp here, 10hp there...

This is an expensive hobby! :crazy:

My "new" 02HD is arriving at the office on a flatbed around 11am tomorrow. My current beast (13.4 best) is going up for sale and this 11.6x beast will replace it. I bought it from a guy that makes a *solid* living... he put a carbon fiber driveshaft, built motor, twin screw, and pretty much every bolt on you can think of... and then got bored with it.

I'm kind of disappointed that your only option is the radix since that particular blower is known to be solid at low boost levels, but loses power REALLY quick... When you finally get a twin screw setup with an intercooler watch out. There are going to be some scary fast SSs running around.

Do any of you guys know if you can lower the compression slightly with a thicker headgasket and not blow it? If not, what would it cost you to mill the head to lower the compression? Is that even possible?

Just like the 5.4 modular, give the techs some time to try different things on the 6.0 and you'll have a clearer path to high HP...

Again, sorry this thing went in the schitter so fast... but as you guys know, we take ours as serious as you do and sometimes it gets personal (though it shouldn't)

Anyone, and I do mean anyone, that wants to come to either sealy or houston raceway park and run on an instant green sunday, email me... the first round of beer is on me... :D

a website you might want to check out... it's all L stuff, but the concepts are pretty much the same... weight, horsepower, intakes, etc. etc....

www.timskelton.com

Ken

ken800

Welcome too.

Gearheads with some great imput are always needed. You are right we are tring to find our way with these new toys and are always studing the other brands to see there sucsess with mods. There are some SS's running twin screw compressers(whipples) Kenne has just released a setup as someone has mentioned it to me. I am currently running a twin screw myself that runs 13.4 I am patiently waiting for an intercooler. You know the game, you have been there before. They tell you it will be out in 3 months, but it is more like 9 months. Same thing on my last twin screw. Intercooler came out a year later. You do have a point about lowering compression on these motors for more boost.

Thanks for your imput

Jim

11.6 is pretty stout. I don't think I'll quite be able to handle that at the track, but I'll meet you on the street. I'd think you'd be traction limited. Hey, you need AWD!

I saw your post on the other site. Noon tomorrow. Got to be a good feeling.

I do some work in Houston once a month. Maybe we can meet up sometime. Most often, I'm down there during the week. Would you be able to meet at HRP for a wednesday night race? On their site, it says gates open at 5 or 6 PM on wednesday.

Milling the heads would be the opposite direction for lowering compresion. What you'd want is to have a professional porter remove the casting in the chambers and open them up a little, creating more volume, which lowers compression. It would also make it less likely to detonate with hot spots in the casting material. I've seen a head ported from 71 to 77 CCs, which would lower compression to just over 9.3:1.

Oh yeah, a very expensive hobby, but I love it.

• 4 weeks later...
Then we can talk about the results that we both saw, less smack more track. What do you guys say?

Now I get back to previous question for ya’ Bomtech. What mods do you REALLY have there buddy, it’s o.k. you can tell all…I know of a couple sleeper trucks out there that would love a good race that isn’t inspected under the hood. ;)

Seriously.... Does anybody hear actually believe that the SS is any match for the HD????? I will run my stock truck against a modded SS.......

Anybody read Sport Truck???? The SS could barely keep up with the HEMI.......

Where are you in ga.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this site, I think it is a great one. I enjoy reading a lot of the threads and this one was very interesting and funny.

I have an 03 Sierra Denali and am trying to see what works for the AWD 6.0 liters. So far my best is a [email protected] with a Westers computer and a Volant intake.

The main reason I got a kick out of this thread was because I also own a Lightning and seeing you guys go back and fourth was kinda funny to me. My Lightning runs 10.80's @ 125 and I bought the Denali for a daily driver/ tow vehicle. I love them both, I would have got the SS but the tow rating was a little low.

I think the SS's are sweet, I think the HD's are sweet, which one is quicker?

We all know stock to stock it is the HD, now modified to modified? It depends on which SS and which HD shows up don't you think?

They are all great vehicles so enjoy what you bought and be proud of that, but there is no reason to take it to far and start slamming the other guys choice. They all rock..... :flag:

Bill-03-SD

Archived