Ah mother F'er!

SS_bnoon_SS

I was rotating the tires yesterday and broke a wheel stud off of the right front. Anyone ever done that before? Only had it set for 85 ft lbs and snapped it right off. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Doesn't look like there's any way to fix it without taking everything off either... Anyone else know different? Going to call around today to try to find a replacement stud. :shakehead:

I had the oil changes and tire rotation included when I bought my truck, well I move from Detroit to Columbus, OH. On my last "free" (not really) tire rotation (The first one in Columbus) they say several of the lugnuts are on tight and they will have to turn up the impact wrench to loosen them. They told me if they brake I'll have to pay for it. Forget the fact that it was documented at another GM dearlership for the prior tire rotation (f*** morons). Rather than bitch I say fine, I'll never purchase a vehicle from them or take my truck in for any other service. So I can't wait till I get time to do it at my parent's pole barn or take it to a friend who runs a discount tire up in Michigan one weekend and get some new treads on.

DW

I just looked at my front spindle how-to photos, GM already thought of that. If you take the rim off, you will see that the rearward side of the spindle has a little cutaway so you can R&R the lug. Bash the old one out with a heavy hammer, tap in a replacement, then seat well with a lug nut. A replacement 14mm lug shouldn't cost more than a few bucks. Get it done asap because the remaining 5 will start to crystalize and break (speaking from experience :yellow_loser:).

Mr. P. :)

I just looked at my front spindle how-to photos, GM already thought of that.  If you take the rim off, you will see that the rearward side of the spindle has a little cutaway so you can R&R the lug.  Bash the old one out with a heavy hammer, tap in a replacement, then seat well with a lug nut.  A replacement 14mm lug shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.  Get it done asap because the remaining 5 will start to crystalize and break (speaking from experience :yellow_loser:).

Mr. P. :)

Dang, I must have missed that with my eyes full of fury... I'll get it replaced ASAP! Got a pic you can post of the front spindles/brakes? I need to look at it again and am having trouble finding pics to stare at to ease my mind. :thumbs:

Dang, I must have missed that with my eyes full of fury... I'll get it replaced ASAP! Got a pic you can post of the front spindles/brakes? I need to look at it again and am having trouble finding pics to stare at to ease my mind.  :thumbs:

How-To: Install Drop-Front Spindles

If you look at the first pic in post #3 you can see clearly there is room to pound out the old one and tap in a replacement.

9-absbolt.jpg

Mr. P.

Just an update, I got this fixed Tuesday last week. Cost was $1.29 for a new stud from Oreilly's auto parts, plus $0.69 for a stock type lug nut (I didn't want to use my chrome one to pull the new stud in).

It took about a half an hour or so to complete... Jacked it up, secured with jack stand. Removed wheel, then pulled the two caliper bolts and tie wrapped the caliper to the top of the upper A-arm. Popped the rotor loose and set it out of the way (don't want to pull in the new stud with the rotor in place or you could crack it VERY easy). Just two hits with a 13 pound sledge (not even full on hard hits either) and the old stud popped out... even after all of it's life in the upper midwest it came out that easy. I slicked up the new stud with PB Blaster and it pulled right in using the new lug nut... All in all, a very easy job. Thanks to Mr P for the pic!!! :thumbs: