JPR lifter tools

Looking to do a cam swap in the next month or so, and wondering if anyone here has them to borrow/rent. Please let me know...

If you don't know what they are, look here:

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/camswa...talljprtool.jpg

Thanks!

Another idea would be to go to your hardware store and buy some 5/16 steel rod

I made two of these and it only costed about $4.00 the tool doesn't go all the way in on the drivers side bank anyway (you have to use pen magnets to hold the lifters up).

I thought both sides went all the way back to hold them all up, why is the driver's side different? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
i just spun motor over a few times an dthey hold up nicely

That's kinda scary though. What if a lifter falls? That would be really bad...

done a few and no issues doing this way, they even did a write up like this. low mileage your fine. the plastic trays are a tight fit and swapping the 2 cams is only like 5 minutes worht of work

Another idea would be to go to your hardware store and buy some 5/16 steel rod

I made two of these and it only costed about $4.00 the tool doesn't go all the way in on the drivers side bank anyway (you have to use pen magnets to hold the lifters up).

I thought both sides went all the way back to hold them all up, why is the driver's side different? :confused:

Maybe the 5.3 is cast differently :dunno: When i did mine the bar only went in half-way on the drivers side bank. I didn't want to force it. The pen magnets held the other lifters up though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just swapped the cam the other day and tried both methods, the dowels and the magnets. I got 3/8" wooden dowels and couldnt get them to fit not matter what I did. So, I used the magnets and although it cost $40 for them, they worked GREAT! You can push the lifter down then rotate the cam around so you know for sure it's up when you lock off the magnet handle. Also, once you get them all in you can spin the cam and make sure it's not touching any of the lifters by watching the magnets.

If I had to do it again, I'd use the magnet method again... but of course, I can't speak for the dowel way of doing things. Seems like that would have been pretty easy if I had gotten them in too.