Disappointing Radix install on a Vortec 5300...

Fun Guy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the pinion gear is a touch larger on the 3.73 gear, but i doubt you'll put down enough power to break the ring and pinion. if you had any failure it's likely to be the spider gears. 3.73 is a bit undergeared is all due to the tire height.

What I have found difficult to understand is the fact that very few people (if any, for that matter) have dyno sheets for the Radix.  I can understand the difficulty with the SS since it is all wheel drive, but even at other sites like FullSizeChevy.com I have yet to see a dyno sheet for a Radix install on any Vortec motor.

Things that make you go 'hmm...' :confused:

Do you think no one has dyno'ed with a Radix? I'm sure many have..But my guess is if they had the Factory Radix tune their dyno sheets might not look any better than yours :pop:

Without LS1 Edit the Radix isn't a worthwhile performance Modification IMHO. Just look at your A/F ratio :wtf: Plus I wouldn't be going out on a limb to say your timing @ WOT probably wasn't much to brag about either. Did you log any data during your dyno pulls?

On this board the fastest Radix trap speed is only 3 mph faster than stock. What type of horsepower improvement does a 3 mph trap translate into? :wtf: The Radix has its biggest gains below where your dyno pull started :rolleyes:

If you haven't succeeded in blowing a great offer from Blown Chevy@ LS1 Tech you should take him up on his offer. :seeya:

That's a nice increase - almost 130 RWHP and 125 RWTQ. If I got this I would be happy. Unfortunately, they have replaced the entire exhaust system on that vehicle in addition to the Radix - long-throw headers and a cat-back. I wonder how much of that 130 RWHP is attributable to the Radix alone?

What's also interesting about the dyno is that (if it's accurate) the vehicle is supposed to be a 2003 5.3L motor, which puts out 285HP at the flywheel (same as my truck). The dyno has it at 199 RWHP. My dyno said ~240 RWHP...40 more ponies. Is the Mustang dyno really that much more conservative than the DynoJet dyno? That would be amazing if it is.

Today I temporarily hooked up a boost gauge and saw 7 PSI at WOT. From what I understand, this is normal for a 3.40 pulley on a 5.3L. While at idle I have ~16-20 VAC.

Another interesting observation I made is that between 0 and 5 PSI, I hear a whistling noise (this in addition to the growling of the blower). Is this normal? Is this the bypass valve? Should it be whistling through 5 PSI? I would expect to hear it around the transition between vacuum and boost, but not across an entire 5 pounds...

Have you thought about getting westerns PCM for you truck? That might help

Out with some of your problems.

Well I guess I should consider it since only now I am hearing how lame the Superchips tune is that came with the Radix. You mention Wester's, MN C5 is suggesting LS1Edit, so I guess I am not done yet, even though I thought I was going to be by this point....

I've dynoed a few totally stock 5.3s and saw numbers that ranged from 192-201hp depending on the year. Besides the stock numbers being a little high there has to be something that is causing you to lose some horsepower. If you forget about the stock numbers and figure the truck might have started around 200 rear wheel, you should be at least close to 330.

Tom

Your air fuel ratio is pig rich. Get it up to 11.5 to 12.0 with an aftermarket PCM, or a dyno tune and you will see a lot more power. Also if they are being real conservative with the timing this could be a big loss of power. I recently did the tune on a 6.0L Escalade with a non intercooled Whipple charger (honestly can't recommend their units at all and their customer support is horrible) and no other modifications and it pulled 400HP to the wheels. We didn't do the blower install so we don't know what it pulled to the wheels stock but if it is a 330HP 6.0 it would be around 270 to the wheels or so. This was running the smaller pulley, but even so was making about the boost you are making and it was not intercooled. I would make sure there are no other mechanical issues and then get a good tune for it.

Later,

Bryan

I've dynoed a few totally stock 5.3s and saw numbers that ranged from 192-201hp depending on the year. Besides the stock numbers being a little high there has to be something that is causing you to lose some horsepower. If you forget about the stock numbers and figure the truck might have started around 200 rear wheel, you should be at least close to 330.

Tom

That's amazing, 25% loss through the drivetrain? If that's true, then my 2003 5.3L that has 285HP at the flywheel is suffering an 85HP frictional and inertial loss. Wow.

So Tom - you're saying 130 RWHP is about right for a Radix?

Your air fuel ratio is pig rich. Get it up to 11.5 to 12.0 with an aftermarket PCM, or a dyno tune and you will see a lot more power. Also if they are being real conservative with the timing this could be a big loss of power. I recently did the tune on a 6.0L Escalade with a non intercooled Whipple charger (honestly can't recommend their units at all and their customer support is horrible) and no other modifications and it pulled 400HP to the wheels. We didn't do the blower install so we don't know what it pulled to the wheels stock but if it is a 330HP 6.0 it would be around 270 to the wheels or so. This was running the smaller pulley, but even so was making about the boost you are making and it was not intercooled. I would make sure there are no other mechanical issues and then get a good tune for it.

Later,

Bryan

Not sure how to change air/fuel - is the only way to do this through an aftermarket PCM? What does that mean - Wester's or something like that?

I'm getting another dyno before going up to Magnuson to let them look at it this week. We'll see what that one says...

Your air fuel ratio is pig rich.  Get it up to 11.5 to 12.0 with an aftermarket PCM, or a dyno tune and you will see a lot more power.  Also if they are being real conservative with the timing this could be a big loss of power.  I recently did the tune on a 6.0L Escalade with a non intercooled Whipple charger (honestly can't recommend their units at all and their customer support is horrible) and no other modifications and it pulled 400HP to the wheels.  We didn't do the blower install so we don't know what it pulled to the wheels stock but if it is a 330HP 6.0 it would be around 270 to the wheels or so.  This was running the smaller pulley, but even so was making about the boost you are making and it was not intercooled.  I would make sure there are no other mechanical issues and then get a good tune for it.

Later,

Bryan

Not sure how to change air/fuel - is the only way to do this through an aftermarket PCM? What does that mean - Wester's or something like that?

I'm getting another dyno before going up to Magnuson to let them look at it this week. We'll see what that one says...

Fun Guy. Find a shop with LS1 Edit and a Dyno. I wouldn't recomend buying a Tune from PCM's for More Easters or PooperChips unless they tune YOUR truck on the dyno.'

You've already had some issues don't set yourself up for more problems. Take the time to find the right tuner (One that you can drive to) that has all the tools to tune your truck while its there. LS1 Edit, Dyno and a WideBand..

Hope everything goes well for you :D

Archived