Disappointing Radix install on a Vortec 5300...

Fun Guy

Got a Radix installed last week and ended up with less than half of what Magnuson claims the Radix should deliver. Instead of the minimum 63% increase in power (see their web site at http://magnacharger.com/pr004.htm - 63% to 125% is what they claim), I saw about a 25% increase. Not what I was expecting, and needless to say, I am disappointed.

Specifically, I saw ~240 RWHP (stock Vortec 5300 + stock 4L60E) on the dyno before the install, and ~300 RWHP on the same dyno two days later, after the install. If my calculator works properly, 240 RWHP x 63% = 151 RWHP. According to Magnuson, I should be seeing 240 + 151 = 391 RWHP minimum, instead of the 240 + 60 = 300 RWHP I am now seeing.

Magnuson is requesting that I bring the vehicle up to them so they can examine it, but that won't be able to happen until the week of 12/8. In the interim, does anyone else have before and after dyno runs for a Radix install on a 6.0L HO? I am curious about the actual/net improvement over stock.

Other than a set of 20" wheels and tires, the vehicle is completely stock. I changed nothing else except the blower (no headers, air box, cat-back, etc.). For those interested, I am posting the dyno sheets. Any comments, input, or questions are greatly appreciated.

Here are the dyno numbers:

HP to TQ

HP-TQ.jpg

1st Gear

1st-Gear.jpg

2nd Gear

2nd-Gear.jpg

3rd Gear

3rd-Gear.jpg

HP to Air/Fuel

HP-Air-Fuel.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know where Magnacharger gets the data for those wild claims, but you should be seeing something closer to 40% increase.

Did you check to make sure the intercooler pump is working?

Regarding the 'wild claims', I, for one, will be expecting the product to deliver on them. I based my purchase decision on their claims. The shop where I had the Radix installed also said I should expect ~120 RWHP. Though less than 150, it is still twice what I got....

Regarding the intercooler, how do I determine if the pump is working?

Crank it up and open the cap to the resevior. If it is shooting out the hose coming from the Supercharger, it's working.

I remember there being two hoses....is the one you're talking about the one that enters right at the top of the reservoir?

If the pump is working, you will see the fluid entering the top of the reservoir. There is a pretty strong stream that hits the other side of the reservoir. It exits at the bottom. In the sun, you can even see this with the cap on, as the fluid sloshes around a lot.

As for where the fuse is, check this thread out:

If you are installing a Magnacharger..., you better read this

As for manufacturer claims on performance, you need to keep a pretty skeptical attitude. "up to" means you probably won't see this much. They probably base these gains on some vehicle that responds exceptionally well to supercharging. It is an unfortunate fact that most performance companies don't publish actual dyno data for the vehicles they make products for. Even when they have the data :fume: . It is especially sad when a good company with a good product like Magnacharger makes these wild claims. It undermines their otherwise good reputation.

I would agree with about 40% realistically. 240rwhp x 140% = 336rwhp.

So really, your about 36 rwhp shy. First, an LS1 Edit tune would probably net you half that or more. Your A/F Ratio could stand to come up a point. Also, if your intercooler isn't working, thats costing you too.

Hang in there, it can be done. :thumbs:

Do you have a boost gauge? If so are you getting the correct amount of boost? The tuning definitely needs to be worked on, it needs to be leaned out as mentioned above. On a forced induction application a A/F of 12:1 is good. What plugs are in the truck? I would run two steps colder and knock the timing down about 6 degrees and see what kind of knock retard is being read. Also how many miles are on the vehicle? You said it was stock if it is high mileage there could be a restriction in the cat.

If the pump is working, you will see the fluid entering the top of the reservoir.  There is a pretty strong stream that hits the other side of the reservoir.  It exits at the bottom.  In the sun, you can even see this with the cap on, as the fluid sloshes around a lot.

As for manufacturer claims on performance, you need to keep a pretty skeptical attitude.  "up to" means you probably won't see this much.  They probably base these gains on some vehicle that responds exceptionally well to supercharging.  It is an unfortunate fact that most performance companies don't publish actual dyno data for the vehicles they make products for.  Even when they have the data :fume: .  It is especially sad when a good company with a good product like Magnacharger makes these wild claims.  It undermines their otherwise good reputation.

Thanks for the info. I will check both the fuse and the reservoir tomorrow.

Regarding Magnuson, they claim 63-125% improvement specifically for the Vortec 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L motors, so I expected (even with a little leeway) at minimum a 50% increase. For my motor this equates to 120 RWHP, so getting only half that was, needless to say, very shocking.

What I have found difficult to understand is the fact that very few people (if any, for that matter) have dyno sheets for the Radix. I can understand the difficulty with the SS since it is all wheel drive, but even at other sites like FullSizeChevy.com I have yet to see a dyno sheet for a Radix install on any Vortec motor.

Things that make you go 'hmm...' :confused:

If the pump is working, you will see the fluid entering the top of the reservoir.  There is a pretty strong stream that hits the other side of the reservoir.  It exits at the bottom.  In the sun, you can even see this with the cap on, as the fluid sloshes around a lot.

As for manufacturer claims on performance, you need to keep a pretty skeptical attitude.  "up to" means you probably won't see this much.  They probably base these gains on some vehicle that responds exceptionally well to supercharging.  It is an unfortunate fact that most performance companies don't publish actual dyno data for the vehicles they make products for.  Even when they have the data :fume: .  It is especially sad when a good company with a good product like Magnacharger makes these wild claims.  It undermines their otherwise good reputation.

Thanks for the info. I will check both the fuse and the reservoir tomorrow.

Regarding Magnuson, they claim 63-125% improvement specifically for the Vortec 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L motors, so I expected (even with a little leeway) at minimum a 50% increase. For my motor this equates to 120 RWHP, so getting only half that was, needless to say, very shocking.

What I have found difficult to understand is the fact that very few people (if any, for that matter) have dyno sheets for the Radix. I can understand the difficulty with the SS since it is all wheel drive, but even at other sites like FullSizeChevy.com I have yet to see a dyno sheet for a Radix install on any Vortec motor.

Things that make you go 'hmm...' :confused:

Try LS1 Tech

I know you didn't get the warmest welcome first time around, but search the archieves for dyno sheets. :thumbs:

300rwhp in a rcsb 2wd sounds like a good place to start. any cool burnout pics or anything? btw, there is a member on here who might be able to help you. i'd recomend sending a pm or e-mail to farmtruc. he's been working on one and it sounds as if it pretty well flies.

300rwhp in a rcsb 2wd sounds like a good place to start. any cool burnout pics or anything? btw, there is a member on here who might be able to help you. i'd recomend sending a pm or e-mail to farmtruc. he's been working on one and it sounds as if it pretty well flies.

Yeah, if only it was a RCSB...I've got an Avalanche that weighs in at a hefty 5437 lbs...

Archived