B&B TriFlo exhausts - includes dual rear exit

tbyrne

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You in H-town too?

Well, a much smaller H-Town just north of you by an hour---Huntsville. Clean air, no traffic, QUIET, and all the pasture and rural roads that you want to play on for 4WD. :D And I think that by law, everyone is required to have a pick up. :thumbs:

Huntsville? I went to Sam Houston State. Lived there for five years back 77-82. Best years of my life. Lived on Ave O for a while and shared a house on Thompson street for my last year. Where'd you get that texas bowtie? Is it a decal?

Huntsville? I went to Sam Houston State. Lived there for five years back 77-82. ........ Where'd you get that texas bowtie? Is it a decal?

Yup, Huntsville is a very nice community. Moved here in '94 and have no desire to leave. And they love trucks here.

Anyway........... the decal I made. Just used paint. No biggie. The Texas flag ain't exact the most complex design. ;)

Well..... Don-Boy's been at it again.

We/He put a couple resonators in the B&B tonight. :rolleyes:

It didn't change the sound much, still has the nice deep tone.

What it did do was take allot of the 'bark' out of it.

The 'sonic boom' when you first turn the key or at WOT seems to be gone. :D

Don't translate this as downing B&B's systems, it was just a little loud for my taste, it's an excellent system.

He seems to be running stronger, picked up back pressure??

I'll run him like this awhile... Don-Boy is just a few miles away... LOL

45719404.jpg

WW :smash:

I swear I can hear an exhaust thread from across the country. Nightshift earlier in this thread I complemented your exhaust and I stand by my comments. Picking an exhaust is a tricky proposition for anybody. What may sound nice and deep for you may be to loud and trashy for me and vice versa. Your choice of exhaust was a good one and any mods made to it were to enhance your driving experience. I admit I'm picky myself when it comes to exhaust noise, looks, etc... and I certainly don't see any thing wrong with changing something if it makes it better for you. :crazy: Sorry about that last sentence it got a bit long and winding :cheers::seeya:

It was scary cutting on a $700 exhaust system... :eek:

The resonators are set in the first stage of the piping.

It hasn't taken away from the tone, just taken the edge off.

He still talks to you at WOT. :D

Finding the perfect exhaust is trial and error (and money). What sounds great at first can become annoying over time.

I'm probably not through, it may see something else someday.

For now it's all good.

WW :smash:

What sounds great at first can become annoying over time. ....

For now it's all good.

Oh, GOSH.............. I dread :nono: this question......... that resonance issue we have been fighting. What do you think? Is it now gone????

Before the resonaters, how was the interior noise? And on the highway was it annoying? Just wandering because I'm looking to buy that system. The system I had on my car sounded great but on the highway there was a droning sound that got very annoying after awhile.

I have this kit on my truck and love it!! It has a nice deep tone to it that gives the truck a refined sound rather than the typical loud truck you hear on the road. The interior has a tad bid of resonance on the interstate but after a week or so I got used to it and dont even notice it anymore, its just louder than stock so you notice it at first.

I installed my dual rear exit system this weekend.... (months before I planned to :rolleyes: )

Install wasn't bad. I only invented a "few" new swears. I'd recommend pre-fitting everything on the ground first. The 2.5" pipes on the muffler needed some coaxing with a ball-peen hammer. They were a little ovaled for some reason.

I got the stock system out in once piece with a simple floor jack on an ice patch in my gravel driveway. Wasn't TOO hard, but wasn't fun. I didn't want it to get the best of me, so it took two hours to conquer it. :rolleyes: Didn't need to drop the axle or anything, just find the right position for the floor jack to keep it out of the way.

The B&B sounds AWESOME. It gives off a nasty snarl when you first start up the truck, and settles to a growl.

Around town, mine's loudest under 2300rpm or so, at light throttle. It's just an angry, powerfull, deep, clean, growl. It's real addicting. Makes you play with the throttle all around town.

Mine seems to quiet out the higher the rpm's are. I can't really hear it much on the highway or when I let the motor stretch it's legs out. The motors winds out, but the exhaust note seems to fade away. It must just be the exhaust gasses pushing the sound more out the rear or something. I have no idea.

I get no resonation AT ALL. :)

Exhaust gasses are well balanced from side to side, for what it's worth. (judging from the steam coming out this morning)

Overall fit is great. I needed very little time to adjust things. It tucks up nice and out of the way. Actually, it fits BETTER than the stock system. I noticed mine was bumping the crossmember by the tranny. I always thought it was my tailgate jumping around on big bumps, so I'm happy to have that solved.

Looks: Awesome. I was pretty nervous when I saw how big the tips looked out of the box. They really couldn't look ANY better under the truck. They're at the perfect angle, hang out the perfect amount, have the perfect slash-cut to them, size, shape, length... etc. etc. The picture from B&B doesn't do them any justice.

Something to note: B&B gives you brackets with bolts, for the hangers just up-stream from the tips. They don't tell you where they go. Mine fit best in the rearmost 11/16" bolt inside the frame channel. (the one with the spot welded nut on the other side - don't bother trying to remove it :rolleyes: ) Just toss the B&B provided bolts aside. (I almost threw a fit when I thought they wanted me to mount it on the shackle-bracket off the frame. No way was I gonna pull the trailer hitch and all that crap off at the time)

Power wise: Not a huge difference. The truck seems to pull harder at any given throttle opening. Example, put down the pedal a touch at 40mph, and you'll be doing 60 quicker than you think. It also winds out up above 4500 rpm much easier. Doesn't fall off nearly as bad as it did. Engine blows through first gear, what feels like "too quickly" now. Kickdows at ~65 pull a little more healthily.

I'll have some soundclips up tomorrow. Sounds way better than the B&B site clips.

Also wanted to compare it to my side exit Corsa on my old 5.3.

The B&B sounds a lot better at low throttle openings. No dump truck sound.

At WOT, the Corsa was much louder.

At idle, the B&B is much louder.

Interior noise is exactly the same. You know it's back there, but it's not intrusive.

Before the resonaters, how was the interior noise? And on the highway was it annoying? Just wandering because I'm looking to buy that system. The system I had on my car sounded great but on the highway there was a droning sound that got very annoying after awhile.

Interior resonance was never bad, it's louder than stock but you can drive the freeway and carry on a conversation. Most of my daily driving is surface, rarely see a freeway. The winding out at shift points around 1800-2000 rpms things would get loud inside, that's where I was having issues.

The resonators took the bite out of it, he's quieter at idle and much less intrusive in the 1800-2000 range.

The tone hasn't changed much, just not as 'harsh' or 'booming'....

But at WOT it's all there.

I've had one pass down a freeway, inside it's quieter than before and there's enough of a rumble that he just sounds so Goooood. :D

I think I've got things the way I want them.

WW :cheers:

Archived