B&B TriFlo exhausts - includes dual rear exit

tbyrne

Any performance change that you can tell?

As far as gains, nothing earth shattering. At some points I wonder if I've lost some on the low end. I haven't had much free time to drive him that much.

Wester's has a new box on the way to reflect shift point and exhaust/intake changes.

The box should be here any day.

WW :smash:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on the B&B...

So far I'm happy with it, he gets alittle loud in that 1800-2100 range. I'm still waiting on the modified PCM to arrive from Westers. Most of my driving is surface 35-40 mph. The Westers box in it now has 3-4 shift set at 40mph, therefore I spend allot of time in the 1800-2100 range. Once he shifts I can let up and he'll hold 4th gear and everything get nice and quiet.

It definitely has mellowed out, now I don't think it would sound 'right' without it. :)

At worse case scenario I would have a couple resonators welded in ahead of the muffler, there's plenty of room for them. I think it'll be okay as it is.

I need to call Westers while I'm thinking about it and find out where that box is, said he shipped on the 31st. :confused:

WW :sleep:

40 on the upshift with 'normal' everyday, work, gym, etc. driving.

Mine's all surface.

But when you slam him, it's a whole new party. :jester:

I hope the edit doesn't take too much off the fun factor....

Eilean at Westers called, they're waiting on some '03 core returns before they can get another out. I was under the impression it was on it's way. :wtf:

WW :cool:

Welllllll,

I just ordered the split rear exit system. Plan on installing it mid April, if I can wait that long. (Don't want to run it in the salt season here in MA)

How is the muffler designed? Is it two straight through tubes, or do they cross like an X pipe or into one chamber or anything funny like that?

Is it a mechanical baffle, or straight through with some form of packing?

Welllllll,

I just ordered the split rear exit system.  Plan on installing it mid April, if I can wait that long.  (Don't want to run it in the salt season here in MA)

How is the muffler designed?  Is it two straight through tubes, or do they cross like an X pipe or into one chamber or anything funny like that?

Is it a mechanical baffle, or straight through with some form of packing?

Go to the B&B website, they have a contact link and numbers.

I spoke with Kelli.

They should be able to answer your questions, I believe there is no packing.

Will salt mess up stainless steel?

B&B

WW :sleep:

Thanks... It's no huge biggie, I'm already commited. ;)

The salt thing - I'm not worried about the system itself, it's just the tips.

The ones on my Corsa were removeable. They took a hard beating just running them from spring to fall. They're a little corroded, sandblasted, and gunked up in general.

I wonder if it'd be worthwhile to clearcoat them...

Did you have the Corsa on the SS? You'll be happy with the B&B, I lost some umph on the low end with it.

I talked to Lydon (Wester's) yesterday, he said he can adjust for it in the update, something about lost back pressure. I've been waiting for my update for a couple weeks, says they're short on '03 cores.

I still have my resonance issue I've been whining about, but once I get the new box with the lowered shift point it should be a non-issue.

If it still is I'll have some resonators cut in.

If the Corsa came off the SS, what are you going to do with it?

WW :smash:

I wouldn't. When the tips heat up, I bet they will start to haze over and turn blue. I don't think most clear coats are designed to stand up to heat. I think the natural stainless finish will be easier to clean than clear.

Night - I had the Corsa on my 5.3 Avalanche... It's still hanging around, I've been slowly cleaning it up these last few weeks so I can try to unload it.

I didn't notice any loss of lowend behind the 5.3 - even when I swapped the stock system on when the truck was traded in. I hope there isn't too much with the B&B here. I'll let you know what I think when I get it on.

Black03 - Yeah, that's true - I wasn't considering the heat thing for clear-coats.

It surprised me how much of a beating the Corsa tips took. Spots of black tar-like substance, sandblasting from the wheel, light mud and road grime CAKED on after a ride in the rain. I've been saturating the thing in WD-40 every few days, and getting ready to polish out what I can.

I'll see what a hand-held drill can do with some Mothers and a small buffing wheel. :D (I don't have the RPM's to use real polishing compounds)

QUOTE (marc_w @ Jan 27 2004, 08:30 PM)

I wouldn't. When the tips heat up, I bet they will start to haze over and turn blue. I don't think most clear coats are designed to stand up to heat. I think the natural stainless finish will be easier to clean than clear.

clearcoat paint = :nono:

clear powder coating or ceramic coating = :thumbs::D:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I cracked open my boxes from B&B last night.

This thing is SO SHINY.

The quality looks real nice. The welds aren't picture (machine) perfect, but I would't expect that with steel. The bends are good. Not quite as perfect as the mandrel bending on the Corsa, but I really don't see it hurting anything.

The muffler looks quite small... that scares me. :D

It's not a true-dual system... Air going in one of the inlets, can easily blow back out the other inlet, and vise versa for the outlets.

I can see some sort of a restriction inside the muffler, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I'm guessing the muffler is like a two sideways II 's (edit, that's "capital i 's"), if you know what I mean. A common chamber just inside the muffler. Right now, I honestly forget which side of the muffler I saw this on. I could peek inside one side, but not the other.

Pipes off the cats are 2.5", piping out the rear is 2.25".

The tips are 4x3.5" (oval - didn't get the lenght), and look real nice. They're a little on the big side for me, and I hope they're not too loud or look too red-neck. They're welded on, and close to the rear hanger, so they're not easily swapped out. I held one of them up under the truck, and it looked pretty good.

The whole system is quite heavy. I thought my Corsa was on the heavy side, but no way... the 2.5" piping is heavier than the 3" from the Corsa. I didn't get around to measuring what gauge steel things were.

I snapped a few pictures of things, and sat it side by side with the Corsa. I'll get some pictures up this week.

Archived