low cost swaybar upgrade

jc04ss

Just FYI for those that are compressing the bar/end links to get them to connect... it sounds like most of you are lowered. You need to make sure that the bar is being installed parallel to the ground at ride height. If the end links are to long, it will bind and you end up with the problem it sounds like you're having. To long of ends links puts the bar at an "uphill" angle and limits it's effective pull on the suspension arm (same problem can happen with to short of end links too). I ended up using the hardware from the end link kit, trimmed down the sleeves about 1.5", and used shorter end link bolts I had left over from my old F-body end link install. No binding and perfectly level at ride height. NO COMPRESSING/DRILLING PLEASE! :nono:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just FYI for those that are compressing the bar/end links to get them to connect... it sounds like most of you are lowered. You need to make sure that the bar is being installed parallel to the ground at ride height. If the end links are to long, it will bind and you end up with the problem it sounds like you're having. To long of ends links puts the bar at an "uphill" angle and limits it's effective pull on the suspension arm (same problem can happen with to short of end links too). I ended up using the hardware from the end link kit, trimmed down the sleeves about 1.5", and used shorter end link bolts I had left over from my old F-body end link install. No binding and perfectly level at ride height. NO COMPRESSING/DRILLING PLEASE! :nono:

It's just the opposite, its seems some of us have had a problem with the end link bolts being too short......

Myself and Hankg42 are at stock ride height.......his install went without a hitch, can't say the same for mine. The bolt sent with the Energy kit was too short as I could not get the darn nut started on the end link bolt. As stated before I used the stock GM bolt and cap nut with all the new hardware, had to reem out 1 of the 4 end link bushings slightly with a 3/8 drill bit to get the bushing to fit the GM cap nut. :chevy:

I just ordered the greasable swaybar bushings (part # 9.5172R) and End Links (part # 9.8121) from EnergySuspensionParts.com. I'll post up some comments once they are installed.

i hope those are the same part #s for and 06 2wd cause i already ordered mine

guess i should have read through everything first

i hope those are the same part #s for and 06 2wd cause i already ordered mine

guess i should have read through everything first

Yeah the part #s are the same, read my post from when I installed mine, there is the possibity of the new end link bolts being a tad too short. :chevy:

• 3 months later...

I'm glad that this floated back up to the top, I've been meaning to add a comment. Apparently I tightened the end links too much, and at least one of the bushings is split. I'll have to order a new set. So when you put them on, don't tighten the end links TOO much and crush the bushings.

I'm glad that this floated back up to the top, I've been meaning to add a comment. Apparently I tightened the end links too much, and at least one of the bushings is split. I'll have to order a new set. So when you put them on, don't tighten the end links TOO much and crush the bushings.

Wow Hank, I guess wrenching on them like we did is not such a good idea.......maybe using the GM bolt and capnut with the upgraded sleeve and bushings (like we wound up doing on mine) is the way to go........