low cost swaybar upgrade

jc04ss

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Word to the wise for the DIY'rs thinking about doing this. Use the stock blot and upper screw cap, it will make your life much easier. You will have to "tap" the upper bushing on to the upper screw cap, which will take some effort, but it will make this upgrade much easier to accomplish.

Word to the wise for the DIY'rs thinking about doing this. Use the stock blot and upper screw cap, it will make your life much easier. You will have to "tap" the upper bushing on to the upper screw cap, which will take some effort, but it will make this upgrade much easier to accomplish.

:withstupid: I posted about that after installing mine......put the bushing carefully in a bench vise and reem the hole out with a 3/8" drill bit to accomodate the GM cap nut.........

did mine yesterday. jacked up the truck and removed the tires just to make it easier.

we did have that issue with having to compress the bar to get the bolt on, but that was done very easily with a small pry bar.

but i have to say.. front end is MUCH tighter than it was.. well worth the 40 bucks.. i want to make it a bit tighter (rattles a bit), so im thinking new ball joints (unless there's something more to do)

I finally got around to doing mine yesterday as well. A very easy install with no issues. For people having any issues installing the end links, just jack up the truck about 2-4" on the side you are working on and the end link will slide in. I actually had it just on the tight side and was able to put my leg on the jack handle and push it down slightly to raise the truck for just the right spacing for the middle portion of the end link to slide in.

That being said, I didn't drive the truck until this morning. The bushing took some of the bounce out of the front and was very surprised just how much roll it did take out. It also quickened the steering response. The truck now feels much more controlled in corners. It's probably one of the best bang for the buck bolts ons ever :)

Thanks for all the wonderful info,

Corey

:withstupid: I posted about that after installing mine......put the bushing carefully in a bench vise and reem the hole out with a 3/8" drill bit to accomodate the GM cap nut.........

Yes sir...while I was fighting with this I suddenly remembered your post about this very problem and tried your solution. :thumbs: Although, I did not have a drill available to me so I had to "tap" (read "force") the bushing on to the cap nut. A bench vise and a hammer worked just fine. :jester:

The other problem I had was trying to muscle off a bolt from one of the sway bar bushings. Stripped the sh@t out of it. I couldn't get it out with one of those tap on bolt removers either. So, I need to drill it. Needless to say, my passenger side still has the stock sway bar bushing installed. :rolleyes:

All that means is I get to do this sway bar upgrade again next weekend. :yellow_loser:

Nevermind, I guess there is no torque specs. I went on energy suspensions web site to get instructions and all it says is tighten till bushings start to bulge slightly.

When we installed Hankg42's we tightened the end links until 8 to 10 threads of the bolt were showing, at that point the bushings were starting to bulge :chevy:

• 3 weeks later...

Big thanks to fast4popper for hooking me up with his connection on these parts. Heck an even bigger thanks for even putting them on for me! Hands down, great bang for the bug. Shouldn't even be considered an upgrade...this is how the truck should have felt from the factory. Must do. Go get them.

i havent read this post in a while. I did mine with minor issues of the end links being too short but got around that. whats all this posting about drilling things out? both mine and Jbakers when one perfectly. not a single snag on the sway bar bushings. of course we both did red to make it stand out and say "hey look at me"

Also i did add ar rear addco sway bar, even swapped them bushings out for new ones as well as i ordered lower control arm bushings. who ever started me on this, THANKS!! i now own stock in Energy suspension parts!!!

Jbaker, we need to get together and do more shit like this, easy inexpensive upgrades!!

I'm all for it! LOL...you know, a few more of these and I might be able to warrant a sig of my own. :ughdance:

i'm thinkin my sig is too long, but its fun to see how far i can take it. I'm thinking i might change it soon...

you really got me thinking about that rear end girdle...