low cost swaybar upgrade

jc04ss

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just came across this post on sway bars.

Good info on the parts!

I am getting ready to do these as well as the Addco rear on my SSS.

Just an FYI sway bars should be mounted WITH the suspension loaded.

The easiest way is to drive it up on a set of ramps.

The arms of the sway bar should be parallel to the ground at the relaxed position and they should not bind.

You can add washers to the top or bottom bolts to adjust the bar arms up and down but there's usually not much extra room.

You can also grind the spacer to make it shorter if thats the direction you need to adjust.

Just make sure both sides are the same.

When You are doing the installation of a front OR rear setup with the weight unloaded the geometry is gonna be off because the suspension is "hanging" at full travel.

Typically you are talking inches of travel and that makes a big difference when you consider the sway bars job is to keep the 2 sides of the suspension as level as possible with the frame.

I have done custom sway bar and end link setups on F&R of both our Subaru Impreza and the Typhoon that has a full custom coilover suspension.

I am willing to bet the guys not having a problem are the ones doing it loaded. :cheers:

Edited by Loeryder (see edit history)

Dan (Fireman31) and I had our trucks sitting on the tires when we did them. The suspension was NOT "unloaded". The instructions that come with the end links and bushings state that. We actually looked at them! :) Thanks. :chevy:

what are you guys using to grease these? Same stuff you use for ball joints & tie rods? Or do they take a special grease?

Use the suppied grease when installing the bushings as per the directions, afterwards you can use the same grease as the tie rods/ball joints/etc.

The 2WD trucks use the exact same parts as AWD, make sure to read back to my post about the end links not being long enough.......DO NOT THROW AWAY OR DESTROY THE OLD END LINKS! You may need the old bolt and cap nut if the supplied bolt is too short.

:chevy:

The 2WD trucks use the exact same parts as AWD, make sure to read back to my post about the end links not being long enough.......DO NOT THROW AWAY OR DESTROY THE OLD END LINKS! You may need the old bolt and cap nut if the supplied bolt is too short.

That should read: 2wd TORSION BAR FRONT SUSPENSION trucks are the same as the AWD SS trucks (this includes 2wd VHO and 2wd SS). The standard 2wd coil spring front suspension trucks are WAY different (front bar is wider by about 2 inches). Just an FYI to the non-SS/VHO lurkers out there. :chevy:

Use the suppied grease when installing the bushings as per the directions, afterwards you can use the same grease as the tie rods/ball joints/etc.

:withstupid:

That's some good advice right there.