Gauge Cluster Recall

RacerJJ

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gauge cluster was broken when I bought my truck also. Luckily, they covered that for free but it only took a day and a half.

It's not that they can tell, it's that they always reflash it to give it any updates that have come across their desk. It's just like your PC...When an upgrade comes along, you download it and make everything better. The dealer will do the same with PCM and being that he/she can't tell that it's tuned, the reflash will erase your tune. Not a big deal if you own software as you can just rewrite it when you get home.

Hey all, the reason there is a high failure rate in the GM truck clusters (not just the SS models) is that the stepper motors that move the needles are garbage and tend to fail often. Hence the reason a lot of guys see their gauge needles peg or stay at zero with the truck running or the key atleast in the on position. This isn't a super difficult fix if you have a speedo shop nearby (if your tuck is out of warranty) and there is even a guy on eBay who has a business selling rebuilt speedos and he also offers repair services...

Why is everyone going to install the STOCK PCM now? I thought that the dealer couldn't tell if the PCM had been reprogrammed, it's the hand held programmers that need to reset everything back to stock right? :confused:

They can not tell but chances are the dealer will flash the PCM with an update and then you have a stock tuned PCM.

Mine was replace at 47k after the warranty was up. Dealers service dept. told me it was covered til 60k. They flashed my gauge cluster with the current milage and it did not change my Westers tune. Only problem is that the tach reads 125 rpms higher than usual.

I'm quite sure it's just this one cluster but it was double checked with a scan tool. :tumbleweed:

Hey all, the reason there is a high failure rate in the GM truck clusters (not just the SS models) is that the stepper motors that move the needles are garbage and tend to fail often. Hence the reason a lot of guys see their gauge needles peg or stay at zero with the truck running or the key atleast in the on position. This isn't a super difficult fix if you have a speedo shop nearby (if your tuck is out of warranty) and there is even a guy on eBay who has a business selling rebuilt speedos and he also offers repair services...
:withstupid: My gas guage doesn't read properly, but everything else is fine. Haven't heard of any recalls, either.

As far as reflashing the PCM, that shouldn't happen unless you have a specific complaint relating to the PCM. They shouldn't reflash it just because.

my speedo is broke...stuck at 120+(might get me out of a speeding ticket....might)....and numerous light bulbs do not work...(tranny temp and fuel)

the only reason why I haven't fixed it yet is...

-waiting list on parts availability(was told 2 weeks out)

-was told that they have to remove the old cluster....send it to GM...have them collect mileage off of it...apply it to the new one...send it back..install new one....in other words...be without my truck for a long time

-and that I installed a Pioneer Avic Z2 that has an extremely fast and accurate speedo built in...as well as an accelerometer :thumbs:

I hope this does indeed happen....as I'm way out of warranty and I'm about ready for some drivetrain maintenace....as well as the steering shaft...oh...and my ABS problem....

dang...after typing that...my truck is beginning to sound like a POS.....I need to get this stuff taken care of ASAP....

still running like a clock...hauling ass...and looking good @ 120+k :cool:

my speedo is broke...stuck at 120+(might get me out of a speeding ticket....might)....and numerous light bulbs do not work...(tranny temp and fuel)

the only reason why I haven't fixed it yet is...

-waiting list on parts availability(was told 2 weeks out)

-was told that they have to remove the old cluster....send it to GM...have them collect mileage off of it...apply it to the new one...send it back..install new one....in other words...be without my truck for a long time

-and that I installed a Pioneer Avic Z2 that has an extremely fast and accurate speedo built in...as well as an accelerometer :thumbs:

I hope this does indeed happen....as I'm way out of warranty and I'm about ready for some drivetrain maintenace....as well as the steering shaft...oh...and my ABS problem....

dang...after typing that...my truck is beginning to sound like a POS.....I need to get this stuff taken care of ASAP....

still running like a clock...hauling ass...and looking good @ 120+k :cool:

i was in and out in an hour and a half when they changed my cluster. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...