My Turbo Build

Quik

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good george i didn't even know you got the motor back together already. call me and i'll come test drive it for you lol

motor isnt together. thats a dummy block. and thanks for the offer but i seen you drive a stick

• 2 weeks later...
now for the traction planting. first thing im going to do is get truck at full weight and then measure the pinion angle. at this time i will see how off it truely is. i will then do what it takes to get my pinion angle -2*. For me that will probably be cutting the welds for the perches and rewelding them at -2*. I will then use a set of Domination Long bars. Domination chassis will be a sponsor in 08 on PT.net. These bars will prevent the springs from wrapping so ill have a solid rear suspension. I ideal of having the pinion -2* is when you accel the pinion angle will change to -.5 to 0*. this will allow for most plant of tires. I also have elderbrock IAS shocks on front and rear. if i dont cut the times i want then ill swap to rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. I will also be C notching the rear for extra reasruance of nothing bottoming out on a hard launch. to aid in traction i had relocated the battery to underneath the bed. my battery is in the rear corner of the passengerside frame. where spare tire once was but tucked in corner as much as possible. that 50#s in that corner will act like 200 apond transfer of launching. Im also kicking the idea of running a hotchkis rear sway bar to also aid in keeping rear squared up. now when at track i will ahve front sway bar disconnected for best transfer of weight.

now for rear tires. im thinking of either 315/60/15 MT drag radials or 390/40/17 M&H drag radials for track days. up front not quite sure what options will be considering ill probably have 14" rotors

I guess thats a start. How much work do you think that'll involve. Domination did a nice turbo SS build too. I saw it over on turbomustangs.

the reangling of the rear is easy. most can do it with shims. my pinion angle is so far off being im lowerd and my rear being off to start. so cutting and rewelding isnt more then maybe 30 minutes of work. as for the domination long bars....maybe 30 minutes to mount them up. the longest part of the pinion angle realignment will be measuring hte angles to get -2*... figure cut perches off. install new ones, reinstall u bolts and angle rearend till its slighty pointing down. take measurement. install driveshaft measure that. configure the two...then adjust till pinion is at desired degree. then weld it up fully then paint

lookin good man :thumbs:

and dont worry, i got prob about 1k lbs on you; i tow, do everything a truck normally would. with 600 whp and 5500 lbs i have yet to even wear the T-56... i do have a 32 spline output and a few tough items, but i dont see any of that being an issue for you. you are gunna need a new clutch like chase said tho, thats a for sure. better pack some serious holding power, stage 3+ spec didnt last 1200 miles and i know your gunna have at least 250 whp more than me

edit: the ZR1 corvette is gunna use a twin disc setup that GM claims to have barely more effort than the Z06 and no more than the C6..... i dunno if youve driven a Z06 but it feels like there is no clutch in it... lol. so im gunna get one of those the day i can, figure if its meant to hold 640 hp in a production car and their 500 hp clutch works decent in my truck.... ill be golden. just thought id share, maybe it will benefit you too. it also shouldnt be too expensive (in comparison to aftermarket twindiscs)

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

i think my clutch will be fine as long as i dont turn the wick up. my thoughts are run 10#s which should put me around 600 to the wheels. the 4 digits will be for dyno. if clutch goes then ill step to one of thosse OZ clutchs. they are about 1200 but seem to hold the power. Spec in my eyes is total junk. also with a weaker clutch the trans shouldnt get abused as much. not sure if you recall but my trans is the viper spec'd t56. also getting used to 600rwhp will be a task at first

so your gunna have the same power level?? and yea i remebered you have the viper t-56, but remember i said there was only one t-56 even stronger :D ? and of course there is less stress with a slipping clutch, its taking some power and abuse itself. i dunno maybe it will hold with the high gearing you have in the rear and the signifigant ammount of less wieght on your truck. i really really hope you dont have issues, cause it really is a PITA. and i agree 110%, spec sucks. but i got a good deal and figured it couldnt be any worse than an LS7 clutch (i was wrong lol, with spec, annnnnyyyyything is possible :banghead: )

hey btw you may know this, but you are missing your cam, rockers, and most importantly crank :jester: is your tranny out of the truck?

so your gunna have the same power level?? and yea i remebered you have the viper t-56, but remember i said there was only one t-56 even stronger :D ? and of course there is less stress with a slipping clutch, its taking some power and abuse itself. i dunno maybe it will hold with the high gearing you have in the rear and the signifigant ammount of less wieght on your truck. i really really hope you dont have issues, cause it really is a PITA. and i agree 110%, spec sucks. but i got a good deal and figured it couldnt be any worse than an LS7 clutch (i was wrong lol, with spec, annnnnyyyyything is possible :banghead: )

hey btw you may know this, but you are missing your cam, rockers, and most importantly crank :jester: is your tranny out of the truck?

haha. my power level is what i plan on running on street. there is no point in running 4digits on the street 24-7. so dial it down so it is actually useable. 600to the wheels should put me right around 10s with traction. thats faster then most cars on the street and some bikes. im not to sold on that trans you have being so stronger. my gearing not sure if it will stay or not. that will be something i find out once i hit the track. im hoping i dont have issues, but who knows im taking my time and not just pieceing this together. so time wil ltell

as for everything missing it helps save weight

ya you should be fine. and i have a feeling with all that extra power..... well as soon as boost comes on for the first time in your first launch those gears are gone lol :lol: i am going to put 4.10s in the SSS after the holidays, my 3.73s are way too small, i might even have to go higher than 4.10. lets just say at 85 mph my rpms in 6th are no higher than 1800 rpms. and first is way to big right now

ya you should be fine. and i have a feeling with all that extra power..... well as soon as boost comes on for the first time in your first launch those gears are gone lol :lol: i am going to put 4.10s in the SSS after the holidays, my 3.73s are way too small, i might even have to go higher than 4.10. lets just say at 85 mph my rpms in 6th are no higher than 1800 rpms. and first is way to big right now

i think the gears will help in every department besides my high end trapspeed. since 130 was at 7k im sure ill get that mph and then some. if i can bite then the gearing should help get truck down the track but then if i reduce gearing then my crusign speed changes