408 "ls-6" With Direct Port Nitrous

Krambo

I got one run with a low timing low shift point tune. I drove it off the line as well. A blistering 14.1 @ 95 with a 2.2 60ft. I really thought it would have done a mid to low 13 with that tune however the entire time I sat in the staging lanes I was running on just battery. I looked at the scanner and saw the voltage at 11.1 and my wideband reading would go to 0.00 at times. I jumped out (got yelled at) popped the hood and my circuit breaker from the alt to the battery was tripped. I click it over and noticed the idle smoothed out. As I got to the line, I got a "battery not charging" message from the DIC however figured to just go and see what's up. So I went and it felt very sluggish with times to show for it. Amazing that running on just battery voltage and no alternator can have such an impact on performance. I didn't go lean and had no knock either. I could not keep the circuit breaker from tripping the entire way home.

I did some troubleshooting over the weekend and I am fairly certain I have a bad alternator. I charged up the NEW BATTERY, bypassed the circuit breaker and it charged the battery fine, the truck screams (with the same tune as the track). I checked the voltage from the alt and it was at 15 volts! I put my hand on it to see if it was warm and I now have a blister on my hand. The 4 awg wire off the post on the alt was red hot as well.

I will be calling DB Electrical in the morning. Pretty disappointing day at the track. When Englishtown closes for their swap meet all the NY rift raff imports come to Island and jam up the lanes. There was sooo many cars there and Island Dragway just cannot manage such a crowd. Poorly run, and the staging lane guy needs to either get a girlfriend or get pulled to the side and given a beatdown. I think everyone of us got yelled at. Hell Dan got yelled at for taking his headlight out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully going to the track this weekend and also finishing up the second nitrous kit (stage one) as long as I solve my charging issue (pretty sure I got it...more on that later). Regardless, I will have some pictures for ya next week of the bottles mounted and the new kit added. Still waiting for my Nitrous permit from the state of NJ...damn governmnet!

You need a permit to run Nitrous?!?!?!

In the state of NJ you do. Here is the application:

N2O Permit Link

I live in PA however, since I fill in NJ and Race it in NJ, I need the permit. ...just the government dipping into your pockets any way they can. PA does not require any however has nice fines if you are observed using it on the street. :uhoh:

Real Shake Down Passes (No Nitrous):

I was able to get to the track on Sunday for some official shake down passes and make sure everything is in good working order. My charging issues was MY FAULT and I feel like such a dumbass. I painted my alt bracket which gave a crappy ground for the alternator. I ran a 4awg ground wire off the mounting pad of the alt and it is charging fine now. Anyway, the weather was absolute crap for drag racing, HOT and Humid with low barometric pressure (85*, 69%, 29.90" according to weather.com however track temps were higher for sure). That equates to a density altitude of better than +2500ft at race time. Regardless, I had a good time with Ed Mack (E.Mack 12secSS) and got some valuable logs to go over.

First pass:

60ft 1.946

330 5.478

1/8 8.443

MPH 82.06

1000 11.044

1 /4 13.262

MPH 101.58

So I look at the scan and see 0 KR, AFR is right where I wanted it (a tad rich) and nothing seems out of line except for high IAT's which were 108 at the start and went to 101 at the end of the run. I reflash with 2* more spark advance across the WOT + 3600rpm area (25* total) and bumped my shift points to 6300 for both 1-2 and 2-3. After about an hour cooling off I go again however the damn track officials forgot to change back to ¼ mile times from the 1/8 mile times from the Jr. dragsters so I only got the 1/8 mile times to compare.

60ft 1.981

330 5.421

1/8 8.311

MPH 83.16

So the changes made an improvement however I do not have the ¼ times to compare. I felt cheated so I immediately hot lapped the truck with no cool down and ran the same times as my first run. No KR to speak of and the truck ran well for its first time out.

I am not a fan of "ricer math" however I cannot discount the weather conditions we were racing in. Ed was a half second slower than he normally runs and if you do the math to correct to sea level air, I would have been doing 12.9's on the first pass and most likely 12.7's on the second pass. I was at full weight and then some to boot. Now that I have some numbers to correlate, I will bump the timing to 27*, retune the MAF table and Ve for any changes. Once I am comfortable with the tune, I will shift in the motor's powerband (shift at 6600 or so) and should be able to shave a few tenths. I don't expect to hit the track till the weather gets cooler again and by then, I will be ready for the spray. :chevy:

I will update pictures of everything, soon...hopefully

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)