408 "ls-6" With Direct Port Nitrous

Krambo

Well do I ? :P

Not quite yet. I spoke with FLT on Friday and my tranny is all apart, washed and ready for the freshen up along with the billet input shaft. They said most likely they will be getting to it next week which means it still needs to get on the dyno and then shipped. I'd say 3 weeks out yet min.

You ask questions like my daughters! :jester: I am kidding. Here ya go:

Took me about 5 minutes to stop laughing....

Thanks a lot for answering all of them!!!!! I'll keep an eye out for the wiring pics, thanks for that to!

Brad

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

O.K. guys, a little update.

Intake. Well it is back from paint and nitrous plumbing. I figure I will show you the finished intake first and then talk about it so here is the 95% completed intake:

IMG_1844.jpg

I also mocked up the intake on the motor just to be sure there wasn't any surprises:

IMG_1856.jpg

So what do you think? Different? I was looking for something that was out of the ordinary and I feel this hits the spot. Just to clairify any confusion, yes, it is intended to look like a Black Widow sitting on top if a webbed intake. I had the FAST 92 intake smoothed, painted black, a spider web airbursh and all burried under lots of clear. Pictures do not capture the details on this thing at all, gotta see it in person to really apreciate it. I had Dave's Nitrous Outlet make the custom solenoids, bend the lines and tap the ports. Quality job all around. Right now, I have the 175 jets in there to start however this set-up can effectively spray 400 HP to the wheels...so I can, if I dare make well north of 1,000 HP at the crank.

I also mocked up my dedicated fuel system tank:

IMG_1858.jpg

I ran out of $$$ really so I have to use the blue and red -AN fittings until I scrape up some funds to make it all the anodized red and black. The tank is 1 gal, has a walbro FP, Aeromotive FPR and -6AN fuel lines. I will be wiring this up to a relay activated from in the cab on a master nitrous system control panel. I may do a trick intake set-up which will free up the Air-box location, so I may relocate this tank there. I am just a little nervous about having a fuel tank in the unprotected area of the front of the truck. I am not even sure on the NHRA rules on this one as well. May have to relocate to the bed.

IMG_1859.jpg

Random picture of the injector install. Remember to lube the O-rings with silcone so they seat well and do not pinch / tear!

IMG_1797.jpg

I did a -8AN X-over from the driver's side to the passenger side. I used Black Russel pro-flex hose along with red and black "anno-tuf" hose ends. I F'd one fitting because i was impatient and used one AN wrench and a standard adjustable. Do yourself a favor and use the soft Al AN wrenches only otherwise you will gall the finish easily. Each hose end was about $20...count them up, it is not cheap at all so do it right the first time! Use sealant on the threads and oil on the hose connections.

IMG_1803.jpg

The FAST fuel rails are embossed O-ring -8AN fittings. add a little silicone to the O-ring and thread sealant to the threads. Careful not to overtighten, the fuel rails are another not cheap part! I went out and purchased black Aeromotive -8AN EOR to -6AN reducer on the rear of the fuel rails to save fittings and keep the already tight space behind the intake as free as possible. The Aeromotive FPR is on the passenger fuel rail end and mounts and looks great!

IMG_1802.jpg

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

O.k. Headers. I will be using Bellanger and I am quite happy with the quality. Welds are nice, O2 placement is ideal IMHO and the coating looks beautiful. They are a true tri-Y design as seen in the pictures.

IMG_1829.jpg

The only thing I am not too sure about is the collectors. They have some kind of baffle in there that may prove to be somewhat restrictive for the CFM I will be pumping. Time will tell however as soon as i get some extra cash, I may cut off the collectors and have some custom 3" ones made. I wish the Kooks would fit the AWD system. I will be first in line for a 2 inch primary and 3 inch collector long tube that will work with the AWD. :sigh:

Here is the collector:

IMG_1830.jpg

Shadowsniper3006, here is how i did the EWP wiring:

First i used a relay to isolate the current draw. In this picture, the orange wire has an in-line 25 amp blade fuse and is wired to the + post under the fuse box cover. The green wire off the relay is the trigger wire of which I T-tapped into the stock FP wire. The black wire is a ground which was soldered to the ground off the EWP and o-ring terminal grounded to the block. The blue wire is the + wire to the EWP. There is a second 20 amp fuse along that line as well.

IMG_1837.jpg

I tucked all this spagetti under the fuse block cover to hide it. In this picture (hard to see), you can just make out the gray stock fuel pump wire I T-tapped for the green wire on the relay for the EWP. I tested it out and the EWP comes on and shuts off with the fuel pumps perfectly. :cheers:

IMG_1838.jpg

Here is a final side picture of progress so far. I didn't bolt down the intake yet since I have to do some fuel connections yes and may also keep it off until the tranny is here. I may need the extra room to get at some of the tranny bolts :chevy:

IMG_1853.jpg

This project is taking WAAAYYYY longer than I expected however I feel the final product will be something I can be proud of that not too many people will have. God, i can't wait to clean up the underhood, bolt up the valve covers and other window dressing and get tuning this pig!

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

very nice, I am glad you got a stand alone system. i found out last night that the intank walbro just wont cut it with anything higher than a 75shot coming off the fuel rail.

i dont think you will have a problem with the rules. the track out here is only woried that you have a helmet, fire jacket and gloves.

Edited by mwalls54 (see edit history)

...The stock unfused 8 AWG (I think it is 8,...maybe 10) is not safe to run with a 200 amp alt...

With as many hits as this topic is getting, I think it's important to point out that the stock charging is a fusible link. I don't think many people still know what those are, lol. It is important that the charging wire be fused, so I'm glad to hear you're taking this approach Kevin. I will be moving up to 4 guage fusible link (8 guage is stock), and if I need to go bigger from there I will be taking the Maxi-Fuse route...

BTW: The build is looking sick!!! Can't wait to see it in person!

Looks great so far !

As far as the baffle in the collector goes, you should be able to just pull that out.

I'm not sure the NHRA will approve of a fuel tank in the engine compartment but it is worth a try I guess. Good luck with the rest of the build!