Silverado Ss L92 H/c

detjoe

I am going thru another set of mods. I wanted to make a post like Krambo's to help others and show off a bit J I am going to have three sections.

I:The parts

II: The install

III: The results

This post people can follow along and learn as I do my first head swap and my second cam. A key in this was budget, I wanted to run a turbo but w/o a job I was scraping by. I got a great deal on the intake and some misc suff so I decided to give it a try. Another reason for the super long post is how I found so little info in this upgrade and wanted to share.

I: The parts

april2008111.jpg

april2008108.jpg

L92 assembled heads. I am using the stock valves and not pushing the lift too high to put unneeded stress on the valves.

Comp 918 Springs (new version): I got these as replacements for the blue striped ones I had. So I decided to use them.

april2008167.jpg

L92 Truck intake/90mm Throttle body: This was one of the cheap parts and just comparing them I know its better than stock.

L92 Fuel rails: These are returnless rails so I had to mod them a little.

Marine 42lbs injectors: I am using these so I cont have to mod the fuel rail and can still have the added fuel I will need. I swapped the o-rings from the L92 truck injectors. This also keeps me from changing the injector ends, I don't want any electrical gremlins.

Vette fuel Filter/Regulator: this was added so I can run the returnless rails. I did not want to cut up my stock fuel lines and AN fittings are not cheap. I hope this way I can just get some programming changes to compensate for the fuel being regulated by the atmosphere instead of by vacuum. Here you can see how I mounted it to the rail and had to bend the supply up a bit.

april2008165.jpg

Stock GEN IV rocker arms: While I could have used ½ of my stock ones I have the complete set off the L92 heads.

Stock 6.2/6.0 GM MLS head gaskets: these are a nice looking gasket and the cost fit the budget.

Stock GM TTY head bolts: I could not see spending the extra $$ for ARP studs, I hope I wont have to change these heads again

Stock crank bolt: This is a TTY bolt so I just got a new one

X-link: this allows me to use the new throttle body and its plug and play. Very nice piece and I can keep away from cutting wires. Here you can see the x-link mounted.

april20011.jpg

april20012.jpg

Here is my 2/3 of my son's and my cam selections...

april2008171.jpg

Livernois Stage I cam: 224/230 .581/.590 114 LSA. I chose this cam after a lot of searching with very little help. L92 cams are top secret and people want to sell their grinds and with every search I found more bs. Livernois is local to me and I figured I could talk to some one and it might make me feel better about going that route. Worst case is I pull it and try a third cam. A lot of my reading said that smaller cams made similar power with better drivability. This by far was my hardest decision and I still am not completely sold but so few people are doing L92's on heavy AWD trucks so in some ways I hope to break some new ground or at least add some info to the discussion.

OBX LT headers: I have wanted headers for a while, and these are SS which IMO makes them a great deal. After looking them over all I can say is they look top notch, the welds are perfect. I will live with the driver's side hump.

07 E fans: I got these with my other L92 parts and figured it would help with space, Again I have read some issues with surging and e-fans but I think I'll give them a shot other have them without issue.

Nelson Fan harness: Thanks to Cody (montanaSS) for getting me his, While I was going to make one I am not looking for electrical problems and hopefully this will go in easy.

II: The Install

Next week (waiting for the cam)

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FINALLY, someone with the desire to lead the pack and go with a documented L92 build. I will be watching this one for sure especially with the cam selection and impressions. I love how you mounted the X-link, that must be the version 2 correct?

Do the stock LQ-9 Valve covers fit on those heads or do you need som fabb'n to make them work?

Take lots of pictures as I feel this one will get alot of attention :cheers::thumbs:

*suscribed*

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

...I love how you mounted the X-link, that must be the version 2 correct?...

Yeah that looks a damn-sight better than the couple other XLink installs I've seen. You talked about turbos, I suspect the L92 head to be a better turbo head because of the exhaust port, we'll see in time right?! :D

Mr. P. :)

• 4 weeks later...
FINALLY, someone with the desire to lead the pack and go with a documented L92 build. I will be watching this one for sure especially with the cam selection and impressions. I love how you mounted the X-link, that must be the version 2 correct?

Do the stock LQ-9 Valve covers fit on those heads or do you need som fabb'n to make them work?

Take lots of pictures as I feel this one will get alot of attention :cheers::thumbs:

*suscribed*

I posted some info from the first one I did. I also am kinda excited to see how this one turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

The Install:

I have done some wrenching in my days but not on my baby. I swapped the cam and have done some repair work on a lot of other cars/trucks. I was following the LS1howto.com directions but they are not too accurate for a truck.

skiingbreckjoeSS125.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS128.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS131.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS132.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS133.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS135.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS144.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS146.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS152.jpg

skiingbreckjoeSS151.jpg

New xlink bracket

skiingbreckjoeSS164.jpg