Silverado Ss L92 H/c

detjoe

on tech a guy custom made a carbon fiber intake manifold...and only gained 8hp!

I know alot of guys think that the aftermarket intakes will be awsome but I would rather spend that $$ on forcing the air thur the stock intake than getting a fast.

if its $1k thats 1/3 of the way to a turbo, and I bet you make more than 8hp if you added a turbo.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on tech a guy custom made a carbon fiber intake manifold...and only gained 8hp!

I know alot of guys think that the aftermarket intakes will be awsome but I would rather spend that $$ on forcing the air thur the stock intake than getting a fast.

if its $1k thats 1/3 of the way to a turbo, and I bet you make more than 8hp if you added a turbo.

So you're planning on going FI? Where are you looking at complete turbo kits for $3,000 or less?

FWIW the new FAST 92 (cathedral port) is going for $849, I can't imagine an L92 one would be too much more. I also can't imagine FAST/Comp would develop a composite manifold that produces results under 10hp.

i think Joe is just saying 850 bucks is an awefull lot of cash for like 20 hp. When you could spend 3000 grand and have a 100+ hp upgrade. With 850 bucks your a 3rd of the way to FI why not save longer and get 5 times the HP. But some like NA and some like FI, it's all in what your goals are.

Brad

i think Joe is just saying 850 bucks is an awefull lot of cash for like 20 hp. When you could spend 3000 grand and have a 100+ hp upgrade. With 850 bucks your a 3rd of the way to FI why not save longer and get 5 times the HP. But some like NA and some like FI, it's all in what your goals are.

Brad

I know what he was saying... I'm just bringing up some other points.

will I drop another sec off my 1/4???

then I think man thats alot of $$ for a sec.

but it would still be cheaper than a 1900 :)

I mentioned my winter project to a few guys whne we had a tuning session a few weeks back. Here is the pic of my mid pipes reconfigured/recycled into the beginning of a turbo manifold:

DIYturbo.jpg

not welded yet, or cut out a flange...was looking at some T6 turbos but you cant beat the price of a MP T76

oh well winter blues :cheers:

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Well I was sitting on this slip. made it to the track and ran three runs. First one out of the gate was the best, second one w/o cooling down (ate a hot dog) was slower and the third run my truck did not shift into third so I let off her and took my ass home before I needed a tow. Everthing checked out good I think it was a PCM hiccup. I have got a bit more tuning done with Ray (supersub) and Zippy and I think this has more in it and I did not want to give these #'s and run better. My goal was 13.6 which was FuelSlut's PB with a radix. The guy who built my converter says it sould have a 1.7 so I know I have more tuning and I have not had any wideband tuning...yet. The rearview said 50 degrees and I had 1/4 tank of fuel.

1.9----60 ft

5.5963-----330

8.1821--ET @ 330

8.7623--1/8 ET

77.55---1/8 MPH

11.5091---1000' ET

88.08 -----1000' MPH

13.8833----1/4 ET

94.49------1/4 MPH

So I hope to shave a few thenths here and there and get to my goal and hopefully better. I was solo @ the track so I could not tell how much I was spinning and I did not get to play with the launch.

My ruff estimae was $2160 on what I put into this but I got alot of parts for free plus selling some stuff so I would guess out of pocket I paid for:

headers

xlink

cam

heads

fan harness

the rest I sourced or had from my first cam attempt or traded stuff for (I traded a guy a 9n tractor for my converter and trans :thumbs:. so that ends up around $1500. So did I reach my goal of running with a radix for less, you guys can judge that :cheers:

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hey Joe,

Congrats on getting your truck running and paving the way for the rest of us. Let me know the next time you plan on a track day and I’ll try and shoot up there with ya. Some of my buddies are planning a trip in sept/early oct to Ubly. If you’re interested, I’ll let you know when.

I apologize, been so stupid busy that I haven’t been on here much, but I know you had a personal interest in fuelsluts old ride so I wanted to give you an update. I ran it last September at Ubly and it went 13.60. That was basically pulling in, filling out my tech card and pulling up to the lanes. I ran some other times right around there within a tenth or two and then let it cool down. Probably cooled it down for 3-4 hours. Temps were low 80’s and light humidity. Truck went 13.10!!!! IIRC, the mph was 103 or 101 and the 60 was 1.78. HUGE Difference. Ck out the link at the bottom:

Since then, I bought HP Tuners and fixed the fueling problem with the truck. I’ve adjusted the tables and added some timing. Truck feels awesome!!! I’d say it will run 12.60-12.80 as it sits but will find out soon. I need to work with the tune some more, but have been too busy lately.

I bet your truck will pick up a ton with some more work to the tune (trackside preferably). Another thought, obviously torque is HUGE to getting these trucks to ET. Those heads flow awesome, but do have huge ports. I wonder if a different cam would help you get it moving faster and make your overall combo work better??? I do know of one guy who had a really mild cam (208ish @ .050 duration on the intake and 212 or 217 or something on the exhaust), lightly ported heads (bowls and match), stock truck intake, headers, etc. He went 13.10 or 13.20 on the stock converter and 12.80’s with a 3000ish stall (AWD).

Let me know what you think and take care.

Well I was sitting on this slip. made it to the track and ran three runs. First one out of the gate was the best, second one w/o cooling down (ate a hot dog) was slower and the third run my truck did not shift into third so I let off her and took my ass home before I needed a tow. Everthing checked out good I think it was a PCM hiccup. I have got a bit more tuning done with Ray (supersub) and Zippy and I think this has more in it and I did not want to give these #'s and run better. My goal was 13.6 which was FuelSlut's PB with a radix. The guy who built my converter says it sould have a 1.7 so I know I have more tuning and I have not had any wideband tuning...yet. The rearview said 50 degrees and I had 1/4 tank of fuel.

1.9----60 ft

5.5963-----330

8.1821--ET @ 330

8.7623--1/8 ET

77.55---1/8 MPH

11.5091---1000' ET

88.08 -----1000' MPH

13.8833----1/4 ET

94.49------1/4 MPH

So I hope to shave a few thenths here and there and get to my goal and hopefully better. I was solo @ the track so I could not tell how much I was spinning and I did not get to play with the launch.

My ruff estimae was $2160 on what I put into this but I got alot of parts for free plus selling some stuff so I would guess out of pocket I paid for:

headers

xlink

cam

heads

fan harness

the rest I sourced or had from my first cam attempt or traded stuff for (I traded a guy a 9n tractor for my converter and trans :thumbs: . so that ends up around $1500. So did I reach my goal of running with a radix for less, you guys can judge that :cheers:

will I drop another sec off my 1/4???

then I think man thats alot of $$ for a sec.

but it would still be cheaper than a 1900 :)

I mentioned my winter project to a few guys whne we had a tuning session a few weeks back. Here is the pic of my mid pipes reconfigured/recycled into the beginning of a turbo manifold:

DIYturbo.jpg

not welded yet, or cut out a flange...was looking at some T6 turbos but you cant beat the price of a MP T76

oh well winter blues :cheers:

better hope you use a small turbo with that thin material.

So you're planning on going FI? Where are you looking at complete turbo kits for $3,000 or less?

FWIW the new FAST 92 (cathedral port) is going for $849, I can't imagine an L92 one would be too much more. I also can't imagine FAST/Comp would develop a composite manifold that produces results under 10hp.

The L92 wont happen anytime soon. and the Fast cathedral intake has a ton of room where they could improve on it. The only intake out there that works and has results heads above anyone out there is the single plane intake that cary makes. There is no way to be cheap competitor. It cost money to go fast. If you are trying to save money dont ever do it in the parts selection.... learn to do things yourself to save labor.

http://www.perf-induction.com/

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

came across the SLP head and intake manifold combos on summit, worth the money? here's the list of em

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Ty...yword=L92+heads

and a question on the chamber sizes, 64cc and 70cc, which would be better or what applications would those really be for? I'm learning... :D

Edited by DMF (see edit history)

came across the SLP head and intake manifold combos on summit, worth the money? here's the list of em

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Ty...yword=L92+heads

and a question on the chamber sizes, 64cc and 70cc, which would be better or what applications would those really be for? I'm learning... :D

for the money you would be better off using the truck intake and buy a set of CNC'd L92s from richard at WCCH.

• 1 year later...