Cai Wars

12'SROCK

I guess what I am saying is that you cannot truly judge whether a CAI is really picking up cold air from the IAT log, because the MAF is so succeptible to heat soak on extended idling - you gotta have a separate "thermometer" inside the air cleaner element itself to judge if the air cleaner is picking up cold air. Now if *both* the thermocouple as well as the IAT report high temps then yeah the CAI kit is failing to pick up fresh air.

From what I see there are a few basic designs of CAI - "headlight breathers," "fender breathers," "bottom breathers," "underhood breathers," and "cowl breathers" - and inside of each group I would expect products to have similar performance (heat wise) i.e. I would expect all headlight breathing CAI kits (K&N and similar) to behave similarly...

Mr. P.

All pulls will be done with similar operating conditions. Headlight will remain in place, dyno temperature probe will be in the same position for each set of runs. Data will be recorded from vehicle IAT after rolling for at one minute at moderate load to get substantial air through the MAF to mitigate heat soak. Power will be spot-checked at various cruise cells as well as recorded at WOT.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant wait to see the end result, not sure if i would switch out my intake or just upgrade for a blower...haha. Are you guys going to do a stock intake pull?? just so we have something to go by as far as what will be gained over stock???

Cant wait to see the end result, not sure if i would switch out my intake or just upgrade for a blower...haha. Are you guys going to do a stock intake pull?? just so we have something to go by as far as what will be gained over stock???

If we have one, I intend to.

Justin

ok all the testing was done today. we were only able to test the AEM, K&N, GMPP, OUTLAW, STOCK w/ K&N panel filter. we logged the MAF G/SEC,MAF HZ, MAF KPa, IAT, HP/TQ. . . . ..stay tuned until we post the results :jester:

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

very interested in the differences if any..only testing ive done is on a stock 2wd ss, had the tune done and pulled the stock air box lid off and made no difference in power or afr

yeah maybe on a stock application it wouldnt matter much but since i have some bolt ons there were quite some differences between the CAI