Cai Wars

12'SROCK

:withstupid: its not showing up under new post???

I cant see it. If you can, please copy the URL. It could just be me, but I have been waiting for this since it started and its killing me.

Thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant see it. If you can, please copy the URL. It could just be me, but I have been waiting for this since it started and its killing me.

Thanks

AFAIK, the only results that have been posted so far are here:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...44009&st=40#

Post Number 47 in this thread, BTW

I have not seen the full results anywhere yet.

Edited by Rausche (see edit history)

the top 2 were AEM (285.1HP) and K&N (287HP). K&N had higher IAT and lower MAF G/SEC but put out 1.9 more HP than the AEM. the AEM had the highest MAF G/SEC and lower IAT.

K&N FTW!! :chevy:

I am curious to see how much lower the K&Ns MAF G/SEC is compared to the AEM. HURRY UP WITH THE FULL RESULTS! :ughdance:

I love reading how everyone who has a close box system is getting upset. You all bought the system well knowingly that you are getting air from one location. With the open system, it's going to get air anyway and anywhere it can. If anything we were at a disadvantage because air isn't being forced in through the front and around the headlights. Yes, air comes in from the front and helps circulate the air in the box. Now I'm sure the hood being open helped a little but probably not much. Nothing beats air being forced in at 50+mph. You don't believe me... check out this pic from the CAI thread.

My thanks go out to 12'SROCK and everyone who sacrificed their time, intakes and most importantly their trucks for this experiment. I'm sure it was a fun weekend. :cheers:

to start, most closed boxes take air in from two or more locations, such as the volant and the outlaw. and in this case, the denser, cooler air is going to win out. i also might add that these secondary places in the box take in air that comes up the front fender and in from behind the headlamps. but when not enough air is available, the fender is utilized.

i am not closed to any idea, whether open element or not. i just feel that if the hood is open, you might as well run a 4" tube and place the filter outside the truck.... its just pulling free air for the most part. and clearly, the open elements are going to outflow the closed elements. thats why they all make the trucks sound louder, they are extremely unrestrictive. however, their downfall is the IATs. personally, all i think this test showed is one of two things: which filter flows the best and which tube heat soaks least.

i agree completely that AEMs filter flows the best, and seemingly their intake tube doesnt heat soak too bad. i have always heard, and seen for myself in some cases, that the volants were no good. however, it appears that they have redesigned them at least twice since then, so id have no idea on the current ones. on my truck, i had done thourough testing between the K&N and the outlaw with dry element. the K&N had such high IATs that the sensor would max out sometimes... i was told over and over again that the magnacharger intercooling system sucked and was ineffecient, hence my IATs. so that intake stayed for awhile. then i got fed up with it, and when i became an outlaw retailer they sent me an intake for the SS. so i installed it, figured id test it and if the results were good id post the gains and temps for the customers to see. and sure enough, i was blown away. it was like going from a stock turbo'd air to air intercooler and putting a gigantic front mount on, but i never changed even the heat exchanger.... these dramatic, to say the least, IAT drops didnt show up on the dyno tho. because like i said before, most of these are designed with normal, regular driving in mind; not just dyno numbers. and i dont need a dyno to tell me im gunna make more power running 4 deg of higher timing and 30 deg less IAT temp :D

The dyno results are not tainted by any means, but I agree that a more complete picture of intake performance would be gained by logging all the performance params at 25 and 70 mph. To me the dyno information tells a good picture of how well the unit flows air, but the "cold" part has not been realistically measured IMO. Likewise another good venue would be a log of a couple runs down the track. Of course all this would require a lot of time. But I would hardly dismiss the dyno results, you just have to "frame" this data in it's proper context.

Mr. P.

Since the K&N has more Hp's through its piping design and AEM is second because it has the higher filter flow (according to the dyno's posted here). My question is could you use the K&N piping and use a AEM dry filter to make the ultimate CAI for the dyno.

I am also sure someone could fabricate a volant air scoop to a AEM open lid filter to K&N piping.. This could be the best of all worlds with air comming from all places including the ram air scoop pulling fresh air from the highway( unless its a hot, sunny, day in Cali where the pavement is burning hot) but up here in minnesota it is prime driving conditions in the summer averaging mid to lower seventies.

Maybe someone should try running no filter for dyno purposes and see what the gains are. I am just curious.

Just my two cents.... :cheers:

to start, most closed boxes take air in from two or more locations, such as the volant and the outlaw. and in this case, the denser, cooler air is going to win out. i also might add that these secondary places in the box take in air that comes up the front fender and in from behind the headlamps. but when not enough air is available, the fender is utilized.

i am not closed to any idea, whether open element or not. i just feel that if the hood is open, you might as well run a 4" tube and place the filter outside the truck.... its just pulling free air for the most part. and clearly, the open elements are going to outflow the closed elements. thats why they all make the trucks sound louder, they are extremely unrestrictive. however, their downfall is the IATs. personally, all i think this test showed is one of two things: which filter flows the best and which tube heat soaks least.

i agree completely that AEMs filter flows the best, and seemingly their intake tube doesnt heat soak too bad. i have always heard, and seen for myself in some cases, that the volants were no good. however, it appears that they have redesigned them at least twice since then, so id have no idea on the current ones. on my truck, i had done thourough testing between the K&N and the outlaw with dry element. the K&N had such high IATs that the sensor would max out sometimes... i was told over and over again that the magnacharger intercooling system sucked and was ineffecient, hence my IATs. so that intake stayed for awhile. then i got fed up with it, and when i became an outlaw retailer they sent me an intake for the SS. so i installed it, figured id test it and if the results were good id post the gains and temps for the customers to see. and sure enough, i was blown away. it was like going from a stock turbo'd air to air intercooler and putting a gigantic front mount on, but i never changed even the heat exchanger.... these dramatic, to say the least, IAT drops didnt show up on the dyno tho. because like i said before, most of these are designed with normal, regular driving in mind; not just dyno numbers. and i dont need a dyno to tell me im gunna make more power running 4 deg of higher timing and 30 deg less IAT temp :D

which dyno do you have at your shop/dealer?

Edited by 12'SROCK (see edit history)

its not a mustang loaded dyno but it does try to simulate load.... its really not that far off. only thing im missing is wind resistance and some friction lol

i know that the dyno jets are good for WOT sweeps, but i heard its real hard to tune on it since you can not achieve a certain amount of load

i know that the dyno jets are good for WOT sweeps, but i heard its real hard to tune on it since you can not achieve a certain amount of load

The term is steady state tuning. Something that can't be done on an inertia dyno.

people, keep in mind that we did not have a long time to play on the dyno. The dyno owner let .justin. borrow the dyno for the weekend and justin was kind enough to let art and myself play on the dyno for the time needed to do the test. Also it would be nice to have done a few real world test such as mr.p mention but that would take a lot of time and abuse on arts truck.