Cai Wars

12'SROCK

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the headlight was left on too, the blowers were faced in a way that would simulate the air flow if you were driving, just facing the fron tof the truck

Still seems like open element has the advantage here. Regardless of the airflow, the hood is open and a lot more under-hood hot air is escaping as a result. Would think this has an influence on both heat soak to the pipes and ambient air temp in general in or around the filter element. The benefit of a enclosed filter is that when the hood is closed, it's not sucking up the trapped hot air which is the disadvantage of open element - the test negates that.

Not attacking the test, just want to discuss this possibility.

Edited by Blk06Limited (see edit history)

Still seems like open element has the advantage here. Regardless of the airflow, the hood is open and a lot more under-hood hot air is escaping as a result. Would think this has an influence on both heat soak to the pipes and ambient air temp in general in or around the filter element. The benefit of a enclosed filter is that when the hood is closed, it's not sucking up the trapped hot air which is the disadvantage of open element - the test negates that.Not attacking the test, just want to discuss this possibility.

well thats the theory behind the closed box type, but its not as dramatic as it might seem

Still seems like open element has the advantage here. Regardless of the airflow, the hood is open and a lot more under-hood hot air is escaping as a result. Would think this has an influence on both heat soak to the pipes and ambient air temp in general in or around the filter element. The benefit of a enclosed filter is that when the hood is closed, it's not sucking up the trapped hot air which is the disadvantage of open element - the test negates that.

Not attacking the test, just want to discuss this possibility.

quick note, if he motor was completely sealed then a close box intake would serve its purpose now because the engine bay is completely open underneath there is no hot air to trapped.

I love reading how everyone who has a close box system is getting upset. You all bought the system well knowingly that you are getting air from one location. With the open system, it's going to get air anyway and anywhere it can. If anything we were at a disadvantage because air isn't being forced in through the front and around the headlights. Yes, air comes in from the front and helps circulate the air in the box. Now I'm sure the hood being open helped a little but probably not much. Nothing beats air being forced in at 50+mph. You don't believe me... check out this pic from the CAI thread.

My thanks go out to 12'SROCK and everyone who sacrificed their time, intakes and most importantly their trucks for this experiment. I'm sure it was a fun weekend. :cheers:

post-15155-1210147434_thumb.jpg

Edited by 918SS (see edit history)

quick note, if he motor was completely sealed then a close box intake would serve its purpose now because the engine bay is completely open underneath there is no hot air to trapped.

+1 to that.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, ya just gotta love the looks and sound of a 4 inch intake tube :chevy:

Kinda reminds me of Al Bundy's toilet "careful kid, it'l suck your arm right off"

...hence the reason I use a closed box system with the fender cut and fiberglassed to match the entire side of the box. The stock opening on the fender is marginal at best for a "cold air" uptake.

I did testing with the lid removed form the Volant and with no filter. IAT's climed to the amount of 40*F without the lid in my application. :cheers:

Good stuff guys! :chevy:

Dang it, you're going to have to do it all over again with my home made intake to see where I rank. Sorry everyone, for making this entire thread a waste of your time. Let me know when you can do it again and I'll send it to you 12'sROCK! :lol:

no the one that had the higest IAT was the K&N and the lowest was the AEM.

BTW CAI DATA HAS BEEN POSTED ALREADY. . . ..

I must be asleep this morning. Where exactly is this data now posted? :confused::confused::confused: