Vacuum Modulated Shifting

Okay, I've read some about it. I've also noticed that a lot of the makers of the "high performance" 4L60s use it. What I want to know, is if anyone knows what the benefits are? I know it provides precise shifting pressure, no matter what the horsepower. Does this provide longer tranny life?

Is it an available kit that I can buy and add? I think a bypass is needed for blown apps, does that mean I can't use this? Or, it shouldn't be used with s-chgrs? Just wondering.

Okay, I've read some about it. I've also noticed that a lot of the makers of the "high performance" 4L60s use it. What I want to know, is if anyone knows what the benefits are? I know it provides precise shifting pressure, no matter what the horsepower. Does this provide longer tranny life?

Is it an available kit that I can buy and add? I think a bypass is needed for blown apps, does that mean I can't use this? Or, it shouldn't be used with s-chgrs? Just wondering.

Ben, back away slowly, step slowly away from the checkbook. :D

I know, it's a disease. Wait until I actually start getting paid for 9 ;)

Get your new headers/cats, torque converter, cam, pushrods, tranny parts, yet? Did I cover everything that was ordered, not received yet, or did I miss something? :jester:

Oh wait - tranny cooler, heat exchanger, NX wet kit? Did I get everything now?

listed here, near the bottom. vacuum kit. shows one for turbo/blower application to go with it. i've heard some good things about it, personally though, i wouldn't use it unless i were having a lack of pressure issue or shifting problems. conversions are kinda a last resort thing to me even if they work out great.

Several reasons, the primary one is it keeps that part of the equation in the hands of the company or person that built the tranny. Not the PCM stock or Modified program...Point being just because you have Edit doesn't mean you Know how to use it :seeya:

When I did my swap, my built trans came with one. I don't see any advantage in having it benkey if you have edit. You can finely tune your pressure with edit far better than you can with different diaphrams and vacuum.

I took mine out and replaced it with a PCS. Now I have nice firm shifts during normal driving and neck snapping shifts at wot.

Good question though,

allen

Basically. Not everyone has the PCM editing tools to modify shifting and line pressure. By going the vac route, it can all be set by the builder and the PCMs setting for firmness and pressure will have no effect on the trans.

On a blown vehicle like the Radix where you can build some boost at low rpms and part throttle, the vac controlled shifting isn't a good choice. An NA engine will have some vacuum at part throttle so the trans wont be shifting hard. But with the radix, you'll be shifting like a load bricks anytime you get out of vac pressure and into boost. This wouldn't be an issue as much with a centrifugal SC.

Thanks guys. That answers all the questions I had. Although not in the market for one, unless Dennis is clairvoyant :) , I look at new trannys at least once a week on the internet. Just seen it listed as one of the things being put into them and remember Setti's install.

Basically. Not everyone has the PCM editing tools to modify shifting and line pressure. By going the vac route, it can all be set by the builder and the PCMs setting for firmness and pressure will have no effect on the trans.

A little peice of mind for the builder if he wants to warranty the build. There are still people frying their tranny's because the don't know what they are doing with Edit, and some other modifications.

My reply was specifically for benkeys setup, i'm sure other setups would be different and could take advantage of such a setup , like the N/A's , but since he has edit and he creates boost at low rpm...

Once you get that bullet proof trans going you can take out all TM .

TM really takes away from launching and the shifts become very quick and engauge immediately.

good luck,

allen

Archived