Ring and Pinnion Whine

Over the last few months I've developed a whine just off throttle in the 40-60MPH range. I finally took it in today and they agreed probably a problem with the ring and pinnion gear. :sigh: Hopefully it will be a few days and I'll get it back. I couldn't tell if it was the front or the rear though.

On another note, there was a black SS in there with a VRod in the back. They said the guy traded them in on one of the Joe Gibbs trucks. They look pretty good but I think way overpriced. The guy could have sold the VRod and added the supercharger themselves.

I had the differential whine from day 1 in my last truck. I hear it's more popular with 4.10s (which it also had).

I never did anything about the noise, and just got used to it. It just up and left one day around 35K or so.

Some of the Avalanche guys were getting the rear diff's replaced, with GM quoting some poor machining on the differential housing.

Nope. but it's the 3rd time it's been in. First time was vibration(probably due to lowering, second for quarter glass replacement, and this will be the third time)

They noticed I changed wheels so I guess they remember me now.

I just talked to the service guy and he said it was coming from the front of the vehicle and there was a bulletin of it stating there would be normal noise coming from it. Anyone think that sounds right? I knew that was the case when turning but going straight?

BTW, he also said there was about a 1/4" difference between the diameter of my tires. That really sucks. I wonder if Goodyear should be responsible for that. I mean, how could I drive an AWD truck and have tires that are more worn than others?

BTW, he also said there was about a 1/4" difference between the diameter of my tires. That really sucks. I wonder if Goodyear should be responsible for that. I mean, how could I drive an AWD truck and have tires that are more worn than others?

:wtf: Is that dia. or circumference? I don't think that little will play a roll at all. It also could be air pressure differences causing that small of measurement.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's the latest on the noise, they replaced the front and rear ring/pinion/bearings after I drove a new one that didn't have the noise and it was alright for about 50 miles and then it started up again. So I took it back in today to have them check it again and they said they called GM and there is a service bulletin about normal noise from 40-60MPH.(I wonder if it's the same one they gave me last time?)

Is anyone else having this problem? Am I the only one? I asked another fellow SS member this weekend and he doesn't have the problem. :fume:

Am I being to coarse or do you think I have a reason to be pissed?

I'm going to ask them what other course of action I should take when I pick it up today to see what they say. I'll probably also take it to the GMC dealership where my cousin works to see if they can diagnose the problem or give me the same line of BS.

Try This TSB

Document ID # 1234118

Whine Noise From Rear Axle (Diangose and Replace Rear Shaft With A Tuned Torsional Damper Rear Propeller Shaft) #03-04-17-001 - (01/30/2003)

Whine Noise From Rear Axle (Diagnose and Replace Rear Shaft With A Tuned Torsional Damper Rear Propeller Shaft)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade EXT

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-2003 GMC Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali

Condition

Some customers may comment on a slight axle whine heard only at certain speeds, typically between 72-96 km/h (45-60 mph).

Cause

"Inherent" ring and pinion gear whine.

All gear driven units, such as automotive rear axles, produce some level of noise that cannot be eliminated with conventional adjustments and repairs. "Inherent" axle noise can be described as a slight noise heard only at a certain speed (typically between 72-96 km/h (45-60 mph) on most General Motors® trucks). The presence of this noise is not indicative of a functional concern with the axle assembly. However, some customers may find that this "inherent" axle noise is unacceptable.

Correction

Replace the rear propeller shaft with a tuned torsional damper shaft ONLY after diagnosis concludes that it is an "inherent" rear axle noise and no physical damage or incorrect adjustment exists.

Important

If the noise is not correctly diagnosed as "inherent" and having a peak in the narrow speed range of 72-96 km/h (45-60 mph), the addition of a tuned torsional damper propeller shaft can aggravate the perceptible noise level. It is extremely important to first diagnose the rear axle noise as "inherent" before installing a new tuned torsional damper propeller shaft.

Diagnostic Information and Procedure for Rear Axle Noise

Diagnostic Starting Point - Rear Drive Axle. Refer to SI Document ID #696972.

Symptoms - Rear Drive Axle. Refer to SI Document ID #697220.

Rear Drive Axle Noises. Refer to SI Document ID #700580.

Noisy in Drive. Refer to SI Document ID #698120.

Rear Propeller Shaft Replacement

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information. Refer to SI Document ID #737171.

Remove the bolts and the yoke retainers from the rear axle pinion yoke.

Notice

When removing the propeller shaft, do not attempt to remove the shaft by pounding on the yoke ears or using a tool between the yoke and the universal joint. If the propeller shaft is removed by using such means, the injection joints may fracture and lead to premature failure of the joint.

Slide the propeller shaft forward in order to disconnect the propeller shaft from the rear axle pinion yoke.

Slide the propeller shaft rearward in order to disconnect the propeller shaft from the transmission or transfer case.

Remove the propeller shaft from the vehicle and discard.

Install the new tuned torsional damper propeller shaft (see Parts Information below) into the transmission or transfer case.

Install the propeller shaft to the rear axle pinion yoke.

Install the yoke retainers and bolts. Tighten

Tighten the yoke retainer bolts to 25 N·m (19 lb ft).

Lower the vehicle.

Road test the vehicle.

Parts Information

Important

Only small quantities of parts are available. Please DO NOT order for stock only.

Part Number

Description

Rear Prop Shaft with Tuned Torsion Damper (2WD Suburban, Avalanche, Yukon XL)

Rear Prop Shaft with Tuned Torsion Damper (4WD Suburban, Avalanche, Yukon XL and 2003 only AWD Yukon XL Denali, Escalade EXT, with NR3 Transfer Case)

Rear Prop Shaft with Tuned Torsion Damper (2001 and 2002 only AWD Yukon XL Denali, Escalade EXT with NP3 Transfer Case)

I don't see the SS Silverado mentioned along with the other AWD vehicles in that TSB. Anybody know if the driveshaft on the SS is unique, or if it matches the Denali or EXT? If the SS driveshaft is different, then GM probably doesn't have any of those fancy "Rear Prop Shafts with Tuned Torsion Damper" for us.

I still think my "drivetrain whine" sounds like its coming from the front of the vehicle - either the t-case or front diff. Wouldn't a "ring and pinion gear noise" related to the rear prop shaft emanate from the rear of the vehicle?

Good luck getting your truck serviced ctrow. Sounds like you have been through almost every fix they can think of to try. Maybe you could get them to try replacing the transfer case..?

i had the same thing on mine. thay first thaught it was in rear, rebult then replaced

it no change still wined. the magic shafts thay ordered didnt fit , to short.

thay found that it was comming from frount diff. the sound was following the hollow

drive shaft thru the t case and back thru the rear shaft hope this makes sence :crazy:

replaced frount diff. and its been quite ever sence

if i remember right the shafts are filled with eather foam or outher stuff to keep the noise down

also my diff. thay found `bad tooling`for what was making the noise.

don`t give up it`s not normal :nonod:

good luck

I still grind my teeth over the excuse I was given for the noise. I had studied at what speeds and conditions and even had another person drive it and they found the same conditions as I. The dealer, after having it a few days claiming at first they couldn't hear it due to rain, finally stated it was tire noise nothing wrong. I knew anyone could here it regardless of road conditons. I was glad when I joined here to find I wasn't alone with this. Needless to say it hasn't set foot back in that service department.

After I had the truck back I was delivering equipment to the guys when one of then said his father had driven my truck (supposedly a head guy in the service dept.) and he heard noth'n. I have never wanted to smack 2 generations at one time more than at that moment. I ain't a mechanic but I'm not an idiot either.

thay found that it was comming from frount diff. the sound was following the hollow

drive shaft thru the t case and back thru the rear shaft hope this makes sence :crazy:

replaced frount diff. and its been quite ever sence

Yes that makes sense. I don't know if that's my problem but it sounds good anyway. Mine is mostly from the front and I can hear some from the rear too. As most all of us have seen, the rear driveshaft is a huge aluminum tube probably capable of transfering a lot of noise.

When they took apart the rear, the tech said it was a little out of spec and the front had small metal pieces and small pits on the gears so they thought that was the issue.

They did mention the Torsional Dampner today when they called. I'd give it a try but it's not going to do anything in the front where most of it seems to be coming from.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to drive a coworkers Escalade to see if he has any noise. I know the rear is different but the front uses the same diff I'm pretty sure. Then I'm going to call the dealership and tell them if they can find 10 SS's that have the same 'normal' noise then I'll drop the issue. Until then, they better keep trying to figure it out.

The service foreman at the GMC dealership said it wasn't normal but she didn't go ride in it. It was based upon what I had told her. Man, isn't the internet GREAT!

see if you can talk them out of dropping the frount shaft and then take it for

a road test. that was the only way thay knew mine was comming from the frount

no noise after shift was removed . gm rep was there and he stated that if you dont hammer it there will

be no problem at all. becouse of all the metle in there i would request them

to replace hole frount diff. if you are not satified with what thay or dont do

call chevy customer asst. @ 1-800-222-1020 there nice foke there got mine

taken care by them :thumbs:

Archived