Trans rebuilt this week

Before I start, a HUGE thanks to Joe at JAG for rebuilding the trans!!

(i'm going to be saying "we" a lot, but I mean JOE, hahahah and kind of me)

Tuesday, we pulled the trans and completely rebuilt it. It is a 4L60E and not a 65E, but the rules still apply. The spring break shootout is coming up this sunday and we thought it might be a good idea to rebuild the trans before I spray my 150+ shot.

We didn't find really anything wrong. However the 3rd clutch assembly showed some hot spots, a sign of something wearing down, after inspecting the parts responsible for 3rd gear we found a small problem. I'm using the koleen HD setup and they have been holding up great, so i'll stick with them. I think most of those 3rd clutch assemblies are way overrated and most of the parts shops sell aren't needed. At least for about 90% of us under 500hp or so.

The Torque drive assembly showed no signs of damaged except for a very small piece of aluminum on the drum that cracked off, see if you can find it in the pics.

We upgraded to the 3-2 downshift springs, wooo, what a difference. Third gear hits as hard as second. Speaking of shifting, the trans shifts as soft as a stock trans under light throttle and nice and firm under wot, still hard enough to get a 110mph 3rd gear scratch :chevy:

You can see in the pics we decided to upgrade the 2-4 servo springs, notice how much larger the HD spring is. (case modifications are necessary)

My 2/4 kevlar band is still looking great thanks to the vette servo. It showed no signs of wear.

And this was a full year of hard ass abuse and spraying a few times. If I'm not breaking anything with the 4 gear planetary setup then you guys with the 5gears will be ok. I'm pulling a 1.7 60' and that sounds like a lot stress to me.

For those deciding to rebuild your trans, get the key components and a great builder and you shouldn't have any problems.

Joe feel free to add to this, I'm sure most of it wasn't retained, that's a lot of parts and info to soak up in a few hours.

I guess we'll see how this setup holds when i spray, I'm hoping for a 1.6 60' and about a 11.9 at least in the 1/4. Then I'll dial in at a 14.0 and take it easy during the bracket racing, lol.

Here's a pic of the parts:

allen%20092.jpg

A view from the inside, can anyone see any damage here:

allen%20093.jpg

Here's the part i was talking about, see the broken piece

allen%20098.jpg

last but not least, the upgraded servo spring!

allen%20095.jpg

later guys,

allen

Cool pics Allen. How many miles did the tranny have on it since last time you had it out? I have the torque drive system getting ready to go in Monday.

Thanks man, get those key parts in and I'm sure you'll have a healthy trans, that will hold up for a long time.

I'd say a little over a year, so the trans probably had about (40mile one way to work x 2, track time, etc. etc, lol) 25K miles on it.

That was with hard abuse, second and third scratches daily, and a whole bunch of track time, and a few bottles.

I would think it'd hold up for a long time for someone who visits the tracks occasionally and drives aggressively sometimes.

The torque drive system is supposedly a hard input shaft, drum and reworked reaction shell.

later,

allen

I can't believe not one of you have noticed something wierd in the picture, LOL.

I used them before and i'm sticking with the same clutches, I may try something else on the next rebuild, but that one will be built all out, has to be for the turbo coming up.

allen

I'm not at all familiar with those tranny internals, but I'll chance a guess on the broken piece.... Are you talking about the chipped tooth on the drum that is almost hidden behind the puller on the left side of the picture?

Archived