First tow with SS (actually first tow ever!)

Black03SS_NJ

Spent 8 full hours in the SS yesterday...made a 350mi roundtrip run to pick up my new toy. I have never towed anything before, let alone a loaded 22ft trailer, so this was quite an experience. And it was a VERY windy day to top things off. The SS did very well and even managed 13mpg with trailer unloaded, and 12.5mpg with car and trailer (about 7000lbs, I would guess). That's better mileage than I get on my daily commute. The trailer's brakes were disconnected, so I really appreciated the great brakes on the SS. The trip was uneventful, except for two broken rear tie-downs on the Delaware Memorial Bridge! Thank god the trailer had a winch.

Here's some quick info on the new toy: it’s a debadged 1965 Pontiac Tempest Custom (post) "sleeper." Has a full 1967 GTO drivetrain including a built 400 with only 150mi (Lunati 292 lift cam, new Holley, hooker headers and Flowmasters, of course), M21 4-speed, and a 3.90 posi rear. You should hear this thing idle…kinda gives away the “sleeper” look. Has brand new paint in Mayfair Maize, all new chrome and stainless, and a new GTO bucket seat interior. I also got a trunkload of new parts thrown in. It needs some work and finishing, but I think it will be a fun project. And I think this is the best-looking Pontiac body style ever, hands down. But that’s just me.

469501_2_full.jpg

469501_3_full.jpg

Mine didn't do as well towing. With my enclosed 26' trailer my truck only got 9-10 MPH but there were hills involved. The bad part is I was really pushing it up the one hill and accidentally caught 2nd manually when I just wanted to downshift to 3rd. Well it raced like crazy and now 2nd gear is slipping. I think I may have messed up the trans as when I unbolted the truck from the trailer to put a pass on it at the track 2nd was slipping some.

cool ride, i also love the body style!! a guy here in town is one of the leading restorers for early pontiac factory drag cars like the catalinas from say 61 62 63. also glad you did not have trouble on the deleware bridge, that could be big, i have been over it driving a big rig 100 times, things can be crazy on it!!

Nice sleeper.

Did you engage the "TOW/HAUL" feature of your automatic transmission?

Thanks for the compliments. I did use the tow/haul on and off. In town, it was helpful, but it really winds 1st gear out too far. On the highway, it helps on the hills, but then it does not seem to want to go into OD once you get moving. So I found myself turning it on to make it downshift and off to kick in the OD. But overall I am glad it is there.

Plus I like using it around town to make the flowmasters sing.

Archived