Low oil pressure

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you're getting somewhere on this ben. good luck.

Here's my epxerience, it may help you some.

I bought brand new engine for my ls1 swap, and as soon as i go it in, i always had oil pressure that read no higher than 5psi. Ran it like that for 2months and it never blew up, a whole bunch of track time was included as well.

After changing all the parts you did, I finally pulled the engine, pulled the oil pan, and in the pan was a cam shaft bearing, that was the problem, no oil was making it up to the top.

Did you feel any resistance when you put your cam in? just a thought.

keep us updated,

allen

Is your oil frothy, aerated, or bubbly? Did you check the spacer that came with the double roller chain between your oil pump and block? If the hole isn't lined up properly, the oil system won't function properly.

Did you find any metal on your oil drain plug?

Oil looks fine. None of those symptoms. The spacer is on right. It has been on there since Jan.

Found a small amount of metal on my drain plug, nothing excessive.

Oil flush? Explain that to me please. Does this mean you completely removed all oil from the motor before you filled up with synthetic? Would it remove all the lube from all oil passages?

FWIW - I'm running a mix of 20w-50 and 10w-30 Mobile1. I have normal oil pressure.

The oil flush, you remove about a qt of oil, put it in, then run your engine at about 1500 rpms for 15 minutes. Yes, it should clean out all the old oil, for the most part, but not completely. I have used it on the engine before and many times over the years.

My theory, assuming I have damaged bearings is that after I conducted the engine flush, the most stripped my engine would ever be probably, I put a filter on without filling up with oil, therefore prolonging the period it was without oil for a longer period and this is when the majority of the engine hurt was done. I have probably changed my oil 50 times in the last 10 years and never done so without filling up the filter with oil, but I had been frustrated trying to get a filter from my wife's car onto my truck - diff size. Yes, I keep extra filters - always. I did fill up her filter though :) I was just so pissed for grabbing the wrong one that I just threw mine on. Time without pressure took maybe 25-30 seconds.

I ordered a oil pressure gauge that you remove the filter, plug this thing in, and get a reading. There is a place out in town that also uses one. I may go there and try to get it done. This all came from the parts store guy. If I get it done there, I can cancel the order. This beats removing the Radix twice more by a 1000 times.

I'm looking into stroked pkgs now, with the wife's concurrence. Monday I will also end up at the speed shop looking into ordering all new bearings and forged internals. Hopefully my rings are still fine.

I never pre-fill the filter and I get almost instant pressure. I doubt that was your issue.

I'd be tempted to pull the Radix and take it in for service if you can't get the issue resolved. I guess you'd have to pull the cam, heads, fans, and headers to make it more stock.

I've thought of taking it back to stock to take to the dealer and have everything still to do it. I still may. The headers will stay on though. A lot of work there to do though. Need some MLS gaskets and more tty head bolts.

Ben,

Wow, I just read this thread for the first time. This sucks, and I think you should take this misfortune and turn it into a great experience by doing a stroker motor.

That is the way I would go if it was me.

Good luck with it no matter which way you decide.

Bill-03-SD

Ben you didn't have to go through all this trouble just to get a stroker kit. I am sure your wife would have said yes without all the other stuff. :jester:

I really hope you can fix the problem without a lot more hassal. I hate to hear of one of our top dogs on this site down for stuff that you have no set way to fix or find out what is wrong.

I was curious if your oil pump is acting up or if some kind of material got stuck in the oil pick up after you have done all those cam swaps. it is a possiblity.

Good Luck Ben

I swapped the oil pump and it didn't help. I have always changed the oil within 50-100 miles of the cam swaps, in order to get any crap out of there that somehow may have gotten in during the swap. Not sure if anything is stuck somewhere, or not.

Ben,

Wow, I just read this thread for the first time. This sucks, and I think you should take this misfortune and turn it into a great experience by doing a stroker motor.

That is the way I would go if it was me.

Good luck with it no matter which way you decide.

Bill-03-SD

Thanks, Bill. I can't make up my mind what I want to do. Providing of course, I did go with a different motor. Stroked would be very nice. Stroked and blown would be awesome. :D I guess I'll try and make up my mind in the next few days after figuring costs of either way. Thought of selling the blower to offset the cost and just go high compression, but then my wife says, "you know if you do that, you'll never be happy with it - you may as well keep it". It brought a tear to my eye. :)

Okay. I played my last hand and gave it one last look. I pulled the oil pump out and put on a new o-ring seal, check the condition of the collar that the fuel pump rides on (didn't really pay attention to that the other night), and even blew compressed air up into the hole that the oil pump shoots the oil through. Got it back together and no change.

So I guess me and the wife are carpooling for a while. It's driveable, but the oil pressure seems to want to bottom out much quicker now. Better to play it safe. I discussed things with the wife again. She refuses to let me let go of the supercharger. So tomorrow I'll take a trip up to the local speed shop and find out who's good to do work around here. There are a couple of engine shops, and a few people that have a reputation for building awesome motors right out of shops in their own backyards.

The first option I'm going to explore is pulling out my engine, installing new bearings and rebuilding all with forged internals. If the cost isn't too much different than buying a stroker assy and having that done, then that's what I'll do. Or, the price of a shortblock. The wife told me that if it took $5-6k to give me something that I would be happy with, and not wanna to fu** with it every week, then she'd rather me do that. Gotta love her for that. :) She has actually been pretty cool during this whole evolution.

I'll let you guys know what happens over the next couple of days.

Archived