Low oil pressure

Hang in there. I know its alot of work, but it will be worth it in the end. You should have seen me stripping down my old truck so I could trade it in. I'd spent countless hours working on it over the previous 4 years, but it was like pulling teeth on those last few hours getting it back to stock. The end result (my SS) is completely worth it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ben,

Scrap all those other ideas. You need to get out your checkbook and order up one of those "Big Dawg" 472 ci small block Scott Shafiroff engines. The $12,995.00 price tag should be nothing for a guy with your kind of money :lol: At 725 horsepower that equates to less than $18.00 per pony. It doesn't seem too bad when you look at it that way :) Good luck!!

I put in a order for all my stuff today. Going with a 408ci combination, 9:1CR. Going with the Eagle stroker crank, Eagle rods, Diamond pistons, Diamond rings, federal Mogul extreme duty bearings. Block will be boiled, cleaned, hopefully painted, and bored out .030". Going to send in my TEA heads in and get the hand-finishing done to try and bring the flow up to about 310cfm. Right now they are 295. Ordered yet another cam. An FMS cam 228/232 .575/.585 114 +4. Leaving on the Radix. Ordered a new set of lifters, staying with my stock rockers.

Will be at least 2 weeks before anything happens. Me and the guy down the street will be pulling out the engine next week to take up to the speed shop. That part alone will save me $700.

The wife didn't want me to try and take back to stock. For two reasons. One - she hates this whole carpooling thing - I mean really hates it. Two - either way, it just prolongs number one. I didn't really want to argue, so that is the way it is.

Damn, Ben. I'll say one thing, buddy. You don't fool around when it comes to speed equip. for your truck. Can't wait until it's done. I wish we lived closer. I LOVE to have a ride in that baby. :thumbs:

Changed my order slightly. Now, instead of Eagle, going with a Callies crank and billet rods. Substantial cost difference, but they just lowered their price a couple of days ago, so I went for it.

Is your current transmission gonna hold up to all that new power?

Vince......shhhhhhh! :nono: You'll jinx me. I don't want it to know.

My power difference shouldn't be huge. My tq diff should be substantial, however. I've had it built, we'll see.

Shifting cranks (not a medical procedure - yet :jester:) was really not ceaper. The Callies crank is arguably the best stroker crank you can buy. Their rotating assy price dropped, I want to say $350, but it is still almost $1k difference between going with a Eagle crank and Eagle rods and the Callies'. The billet rods are rated at like 900hp. So, no way in hell I'll break anything in this motor.

hey ben. sorry to hear about oil problem.i'm scared now,i was just next week going to pull the oil pump off and port it,like the ls1 book recommends,but now after hearing about the probs you are haveing i will wait.have you checked oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge.and were you checking pressure from oil sending port or another location?

hope you can fix the problem without haveing to spend a ton. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My fully balanced rotating assembly showed up today. Talk about some pretty stuff. Can't wait to get it in. Should be pulling my motor this week - working on it in the evenings.

Still working injector issues and need a keyed dampener/crank pulley. Those two items alone are close to $1k in costs.

Archived