Vehicle Security/Remote Start Systems

creaker

What brand of security/remote start system do you have installed (if any)?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of security/remote start system do you have installed (if any)?

• Viper
    • Clifford
    • Python
    • Valet
    • Avital
    • Hornet
    • Alpine
    • Compustar
    • Autopage
    • None!

I'm curious to know what people have installed, security/remote system-wise, or if they have none installed at all.

I had to leave quite a few brands off the poll since it's limited to 10 answers. DEI alone owns around 10 different "brands" (Viper, Clifford, Rattler, Python, Valet, Hornet, Avital, Sidewinder, Wasp).

Creaker,

I am interested i getting an alarm for my truck but, i haven't done any research for it yet. Do you know which ones are better and that have an electric start. Good install instuctions would be a positive also. :thumbs: Thanks

Super Sport first I'd recommend either a Viper or Clifford from DEI. Second I'd strongly suggest you get a pro to install it. Just too many freaking things can go wrong if you splice the wrong wire(s). Myself I don't have a Remote Start in the SS but I've got a Matrix RS2 in the Tahoe and its bad azz. Go to www.directed.com for a look at the choices available as well as other options such as a glass break sensor and such.

I just moved down to Jacksonville, FL and was going to install a Viper. That is what the Sound Advice uses and lgetz, if you know a lot about these systems, let me know if I am looking in the right direction. They said they would do the install for around 350 and its 25 bucks a piece for a hood and tonneau trigger. I might go ahead and throw on the remote start if its not to much more. Any advice would be appreciated.

C.K.

This is what I got installed on the SS

tx-remote.jpg

Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 2-Way Security and Remote Start System with Responder Technology

DO NOT install this your self. DEI will not warrant the product if a trained pro doesn’t install it. The Clifford Matrix has a lifetime on parts and 1 year on the remote. Click here for info.

Creaker,

I am interested i getting an alarm for my truck but, i haven't done any research for it yet. Do you know which ones are better and that have an electric start. Good install instuctions would be a positive also. :thumbs: Thanks

DEI owns a *lot* of brands and mostly the components are interchangeable. Viper & Clifford are probably the two top-selling models because a) they are relatively easy to install b) they have parts and options for just about every vehicle known to man, and c) they offer lifetime warranty *if* you get it installed by an authorized dealer.

Most definitely get a pro to install any of the high-end models, especially if you want remote start or are thinking about adding a lot of options like window rollup or extra sensors. If you do it yourself and something goes wrong you are SOL. At least with a dealer you have warranty coverage and hopefully someone who knows what they are doing. A lot of the chain stores have free installs, you just pay for the price of the unit - unless you start adding options like backup battery, proximity sensors, tilt sensors, etc. Be careful with places like Best Buy or Circuit City! They do have some good installers but this is on a store-by-store basis. One store may have an installer who knows every trick in the book and can do a clean install blindfolded while another store just down the road my have a guy who just started and yours might be the first vehicle of that type he's installed on.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you talk with your installer!! I can't emphasize that enough. A good installer will make all the difference in the world. A bad installer can really screw things up... Ask lots of questions, no matter how stupid they may sound. Check out the work area, see how clean it is, how well organized the employees are. Talk with the manager too, before you commit to the install. If it's a custom installer (i.e. not chain store) ask for references.

Alarm wise, there are so many ways to go it's impossible to list them all. It really depends on how much money you want to spend and how much "protection" you really need. Do you want a remote where if you are in a store and the alarm gets tripped the remote notifies you of it (paging system)? Do you care if someone is able to stick their heads/arms inside the cab if you leave the windows down and not trip the alarm (proximity sensor)? Do you care if someone is able to tow your vehicle away without setting the alarm off (tilt sensor)? Do you want extreme range out of your paging system (> 1 mile)?

I know the Viper & Clifford systems come with lifetime warranties if you get them installed by an authorized dealer and I'm pretty sure some of the other brands under DEI don't have that type of warranty. That's definitely a plus because these units can fail and they aren't cheap to replace if they aren't covered under warranty.

If you really want to DIY, go and read some of the technical do's and don'ts here:

http://www.the12volt.com/

That site covers more than just security systems and there's a ton of useful information there if you dig around.

And some more information/links:

http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Car_Audio_an...ystem_Articles/

I'd recommend going with either Viper or Clifford myself, unless you want extreme range in which case I'd say go with Compustar.

The Viper 791XV is the top-end model for Viper. It's a security system w/remote start and 2-way pager. The Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 is the exact same thing, just has a different color on the remote (carbon fiber black instead of dark blue). Range on these systems is about 1/4 mile, give or take. Price on these is $500 installed at many stores, but if want to install it yourself you can get it a bit cheaper (I do not recommend doing this):

Clifford Matrix:

http://www.clifford.com/matrix/secrs/default.asp

If you don't care about paging, Clifford has two models in the G5 line which have security & remote start systems, the Solaris 5 and Avantguard 5:

http://www.clifford.com/g5/sec_rs/default.asp

And Viper has at least one, probably more that do the same thing, like the 560XV:

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_se_rs.asp

RDSS if the Viper is the 650XV model I feel you can do about $75-$100 less if you shop around a bit. The price for the additional triggers is competitive. The remote start should add about $125 to the price. As others have stated get it installed by an authorized DEI dealer that way you'll have a lifetime warranty on the main brain and labor. The siren and the controls will only have 1 year warranty.

Thanks for the help, I will look into the 791XV. I am liking the idea of tilt, motion sensors, power up and down for the window and ect... I will do a lot more home work and thanks for getting me thinking about it. What do yall think it should run for the loaded 791 installed?

C.K.

You left out the Code-A-Alarm Elite series (not Pro series), which I use. I had Audio Advisors in West Palm Beach install. They are nationally known for top-end, very-high-$ systems for Palm Beach homes (smart security/control/A-V systems). They always do top notch work and find quality switches and components that I have never seen anywhere else. Added a microwave motion sensor to cover the vehicle even if the window is broken and they come back later. Over-ride switch is very cleverly hidden in remote location. Automatic door locking with alarm arming. Tailgate and tonneau protected. Electric tailgate lock. Back-Up alarm battery if they drill the battery. 357 protects it at home! LoJack covers the rest.

I used Cliffords about 10 years ago and they false alarmed way too much.

Archived