Home Audio / Video Thread

04CHASE

hoping some others have interest and more knowledge than i do .

1) led tv's , i know they are know but the picture/energy consumption ( less heat than my plasma) , blacks , and thin as paper. pro's and cons?

2) looking for a nice new receiver dont plan to run video through it just audio . would be nice if they had something with dual subs with a built in crossover.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cheaper Yamaha recievers have dual sub outputs.... however most guys just use a splitter for dual subs, I really like the yamaha stuff, but denon also makes a great product. What price range are you looking in?

As for the LED TV's I sadly do not have much knowlege on them, I have noticed the samsung leds do make for a pretty awesome picture though.

dont want to spend a fortune on a receiver as my speakers as somewhat old( jbl studio series) with a velodyne 15 sub. plan on adding an 8 or 10 velodyne with the receiver.

i know the led's are still new so i know the market will become cheaper as well as better. not looking to buy now but towards year's end.

I've always been a Sony man so most of my stuff is that. 1 sub works great for me. Mine can be really loud if I want to crank it up. I think it's a 12" powered sub. The high end sony receivers are pretty good from what I've heard. Mine is a 7.1 channel setup even though most movies are still using 5.1. I use a PS3 for my bluray movies and a LCD tv. Just watched "The day the earth stood still" and sound was good. Also watched "Knowing" and that movie was loud and I like it that way.

I have been doing high end home theater for 4 years now, and I would recommend a denon receiver for surround sound applications, since they are the most well rounded, and for the price they are unbeatable.

and as far as TV's I love the picture and black levels of plasma's (it is unbeatable by LCD's), but LCD's do use less energy. As far as plasma's, I would go with pioneer if within your budget, and if not Samsung or Panasonic is a good choice also. As far as LCD's my favorite is NuVision which has the absolute best picture I have ever seen out of any LCD. Sony LCD's are horrible unless you go with the XBR series. We would always have non stop problems with them, and the pictures are very grainy...

Don't under estimate your JBL studio speakers, just since they are old doesn't mean that they are obsolete. Personally I have had many different pairs of speakers and my favorite are a pair of little JBL studio monitors. Speaker technology hasn't changed much since the beginning. and I'm running a Velodine sub woofer in our home theater right now and it is pretty powerful for its size and does just fine.

BTW, are you doing a surround sound setup, or just basic 2.1? (front left, right and a sub woofer)

and this is my work place so you know a little where I'm coming from.

www.thesourceav.com

Just let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything. I'm also well connected in that industry if you want a better deal on certain brands.

I have been doing high end home theater for 4 years now, and I would recommend a denon receiver for surround sound applications, since they are the most well rounded, and for the price they are unbeatable.

and as far as TV's I love the picture and black levels of plasma's (it is unbeatable by LCD's), but LCD's do use less energy. As far as plasma's, I would go with pioneer if within your budget, and if not Samsung or Panasonic is a good choice also. As far as LCD's my favorite is NuVision which has the absolute best picture I have ever seen out of any LCD. Sony LCD's are horrible unless you go with the XBR series. We would always have non stop problems with them, and the pictures are very grainy...

Don't under estimate your JBL studio speakers, just since they are old doesn't mean that they are obsolete. Personally I have had many different pairs of speakers and my favorite are a pair of little JBL studio monitors. Speaker technology hasn't changed much since the beginning. and I'm running a Velodine sub woofer in our home theater right now and it is pretty powerful for its size and does just fine.

BTW, are you doing a surround sound setup, or just basic 2.1? (front left, right and a sub woofer)

and this is my work place so you know a little where I'm coming from.

www.thesourceav.com

Just let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything. I'm also well connected in that industry if you want a better deal on certain brands.

denon is an awesome receiver

for now i just have a LG 62" lcd tv amd a bose surround sound it works great. also have the LG blueray player to match it. I love the bose i have a decent set up i have good hard bass and crisp clear mids and highs.

plan on doing a 7.2 setup i currently am trying to find the jbl studio series 12 powered towers without much luck.

my current plasma is a pioneer 42 , picture is nice but i got it right before 1080p came out . not to mention it creates so much heat at times it sucks when its been over 100 for the past two weeks.

i knew denon was good but thought there might be better out there. i am sure there is but for what price and do i need all that for what im after?

So for your rears, you are trying to find floor standing? rather than on stands, or in the walls?

here is a very good denon you can get, if it is affordable. Its a cheaper unit from their high end series. The thing I like about denon's is they are very flexible to do what you want. We have installed many of these and not one ever broke on us!

Also If you are doing a 7.2 setup, only blu-ray is capable of outputting that sound field, if the blu-ray disk was mixed for 7.1. DVD and broadcast TV are usually a 2 channel signal, or 5.1, but you A/V receiver will still do some processing to make sound come out of the 6th and 7th channels. If I were you I would get a blu-ray player at the same time to get the most out of your system.

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/denon...ain;contentBody

yeah i havent took the plunge on blue ray yet as i think there time wont last long , i think everything will be hard drives or dvr soon .

i may though as there are some movies i really want. i have netflix and it has some cool features on my xbox. however a ps3 inst out of the question.

im surprised no one has any feedback on the led tv's

yeah i havent took the plunge on blue ray yet as i think there time wont last long , i think everything will be hard drives or dvr soon .

i may though as there are some movies i really want. i have netflix and it has some cool features on my xbox. however a ps3 inst out of the question.

im surprised no one has any feedback on the led tv's

by the way, it is a LCD TV (Liquid Crystal Display) that you are talking about and LED is (light emitting diode) the future of TV's. Sony has one Organic LED TV that has the most amazing picture ever, but as of now they only make them in 11" and it is a $2,500 TV, lol. and a PS3 will work well as a blu-ray player, and I would go for it since it will still be around for another few years and blu-ray has a 1080P picture capability and DVD is only 480P and that's a 4X crisper picture not to mention that the audio bit rate is about 10x of that of a DVD (if it is hooked up properly to a receiver that can handle it, and most all denon receivers can!!!)

Personally I like plasma much more than LCD's, and here is a chart that shows advantages and disadvantages of each.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4351-12658_7-6583301.html

Good Luck!!

Edited by Quinnster (see edit history)

yeah im a few months out before purchasing any of this so hopefully sony breaks some news on their display.

thanks for the help man , most likly youll be getting some pm's in the not so distant future.