Home Audio / Video Thread

04CHASE

yeah im a few months out before purchasing any of this so hopefully sony breaks some news on their display.

thanks for the help man , most likly youll be getting some pm's in the not so distant future.

yepp, I doubt Sony will have their new TV out in anything bigger than a 27" until about 4-5 years down the road. So for now it will have to be a LCD or a Plasma. Later in the future when you make the move lets see what the budget is and we can figure out what we can do for the price!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my choice of tv companies

1. Texas Instruments

2. Mitsubishi

3. Samsung

I would not waste my money on an LEd TV, they are very nice sets however within the next 5-10 years we should have another form of HDTV that is more clear and crisp with better colors than now. Supposedley there are only 3 of these TVs in the USA right now, my father saw one in Portland, Maine and he is a fiber optic guru (he could not believe the picture it makes, normal HD looks pathetic he said trying to compare them).

I have experience with Sony, LG, Phillips, and Samsung HDtvs.

My choice for audio is Boston Acoustic or Bose.

Funny this thread came up as I'm currently doing my 7.1 in our addition.

This is what I have:

Denon 3808CI AVR

Panamax M5300

Panasonic 58" plasma

PS3 mostly for Blu Ray

(2) Definitive Technologies towers 7002 (12" powered sub)

(1) Definitive Technologies center 2300 (8" powered sub)

(4) Speakercraft ceiling speakers AIM2

I don't have a dedicated sub for the system yet. I'm going to wait to see if it will be needed since the towers and center channel both have powered subs. If it does need one, I definately will get a Definitive Technology.

Anyways, I can't say how it sounds yet because the three front speakers won't be in till Thursday. I'll hook it all up soon after. That Denon 3808 is crazy with all the stuff that it can do. I got the receiver for a good price and I can't wait to get it all going.

post some pics alex. sounds like a nice setup , im a big fan of bass especially for music , movies too much can kill it.

im also considering in walls , but can you get the big sound from little in wall speakers?

pm me where you got the deal on the denon , but by the time i get one im sure there will be something better out.

post some pics alex. sounds like a nice setup , im a big fan of bass especially for music , movies too much can kill it.

im also considering in walls , but can you get the big sound from little in wall speakers?

pm me where you got the deal on the denon , but by the time i get one im sure there will be something better out.

you're right about too much bass. as long as you get a decent 7.1 receiver you'll be up to date for a while. yeah, there will be new stuff out but unless they go to a 8.1, then not too much will change. i've had my 7.1 receiver for about 5 years, and still suites me just fine. only changes i have made are the speakers and wire. i love the ability to customize the exact setup.

i hear ya alan , my receiver ive had also has 7.1 but i dont use it since i have another room and thats what those outputs are, either room b or 7.1 processed from 5.1

Pioneer ELITE plasma's are the bomb!, I own a 50" 1080p plasma upstairs and the picture is PERFECT! Downstairs i just switched to a pioneer ELITE reciever SC-07,along with their matching BD player thru a NEWLY updated MITZI 1080p front view projector, All my speaks ar def tech's with the super cube I sub. 106" WS 7.2 surround.

I used to run a denon 5803 A/V ,I sold it local, but plenty on ebay for a great deal. Last years high end is always a song and a dance on ebay.

Denon and Pioneer are top shelf in my book!

grab a pioneer ELITE plasma whle you can CUZ they are done! Panisonic will be building them from here on out. they are cutting costs to stay competitive. which means big loosers for the consumers.

Pioneer ELITE plasma's are the bomb!, I own a 50" 1080p plasma upstairs and the picture is PERFECT! Downstairs i just switched to a pioneer ELITE reciever SC-07,along with their matching BD player thru a NEWLY updated MITZI 1080p front view projector, All my speaks ar def tech's with the super cube I sub. 106" WS 7.2 surround.

I used to run a denon 5803 A/V ,I sold it local, but plenty on ebay for a great deal. Last years high end is always a song and a dance on ebay.

Denon and Pioneer are top shelf in my book!

grab a pioneer ELITE plasma whle you can CUZ they are done! Panisonic will be building them from here on out. they are cutting costs to stay competitive. which means big loosers for the consumers.

:withstupid: Agreed!, and thats a Nice Beastly denon reciever you used to have! I had the RX-Z9 for a little while wich was the yahama Equivilent.

Denon for Receiver, Pioneer Kuro for a TV and Speakers has a different opinion form everyone. Just as long as its not Bose or small ass speaker you are better than 50% of the world!

And if you get rear in wall speakers with an 8 that are of good quality you will still get a good ammount of low end outta them, but bigger is usually better!

Also denon's will intelligently route the signal to the woofer and just as long as it is hooked up properly and crossed over low enough you wont get too much annoying boom unless the movie producers porposley put it in there.

As far as really good in wall speakers, we used to put in alot of martin logan Voyage's in the walls which have 2 8" woofers and 3 ribbion tweeters in them, and they are some of the best in walls I have ever used!! But do run on average 2,000 a pair. they also have lower end models which are mare arround 600 a pair, but same basic principle, just smaller.

I'll get some pics when it's all done.

As for my ceiling speakers, they are just for surround so it's not a big deal. The three main front speakers is where 99% of the sound comes from, reason why I matched all three. I could have went with in walls for the fronts, but I like having the big towers up front so I wired accordingly.

I got the Denon 3808CI from Best Buy for $1K. It was originally marked $1699.00. They also had a deal on the next step up from mine (don't know the model #), it was marked down to $1500.00 and you got a set of Def Tech bookshelf speakers for free. The guy tried to get me to purchase that one, but for that extra $500.00, I really didn't see the need as I'm probably in way over my head with the 3808 as it is.

Funny this thread came up as I'm currently doing my 7.1 in our addition.

This is what I have:

Denon 3808CI AVR

Panamax M5300

Panasonic 58" plasma

PS3 mostly for Blu Ray

(2) Definitive Technologies towers 7002 (12" powered sub)

(1) Definitive Technologies center 2300 (8" powered sub)

(4) Speakercraft ceiling speakers AIM8 2's

I don't have a dedicated sub for the system yet. I'm going to wait to see if it will be needed since the towers and center channel both have powered subs. If it does need one, I definately will get a Definitive Technology.

Anyways, I can't say how it sounds yet because the three front speakers won't be in till Thursday. I'll hook it all up soon after. That Denon 3808 is crazy with all the stuff that it can do. I got the receiver for a good price and I can't wait to get it all going.

I got it all hooked up and running, sounds amazing!

I was going to take some pics, but of course my camera is dead. It's charging as I write this and as soon as it's done, I'll snap some and post em up.

I got it all hooked up and running, sounds amazing!

I was going to take some pics, but of course my camera is dead. It's charging as I write this and as soon as it's done, I'll snap some and post em up.

So you figured out the denon OSD? (on screen display) and got all speaker tuned and time alligned,

Set the HDMI output level at 1080P and RGB Enhanced? That is how we always got the absolute best picture out of the 1080P plasmas.

well good news. the bank took my offer and i should be in escrow on monday . as long as the appraisal goes well ill have the keys by sept 1st.

now im looking at appliances. ( fridge, oven , washer , dryer, microwave ,.......etc )

the home audio will be coming soon , however i will need a tv pretty quick to get mounted to the wall in the master and hopefully sell mine

If you need help choosing appliances I can recomend good stuff to you, my mother has been a cook/pastry chef/baker for over 30 years. She was good freinds with Julia Child and went on tour with Mary Ann Esposito in Italy and the US.

Looking for certain appliances?

Stay away from LG

If you need help choosing appliances I can recomend good stuff to you, my mother has been a cook/pastry chef/baker for over 30 years. She was good freinds with Julia Child and went on tour with Mary Ann Esposito in Italy and the US.

Looking for certain appliances?

Stay away from LG

care to say why ?

Within the past 2 years, we have bought 4 LG products (I have never been a fan even before this). We bought a washer and dryer (1200 for washer) and 2 televisions.

1. Their customer service sucks

2. They do not follow through with their warranties

3. Low grade materials used

We had the washer break twice within 6 months, both were the same problem and they refused to fix it the 2nd time. Best Buy and the appliance store we bought from showed me paperwork from LG saying it was a manafacturing problem and should be fixed under warranty. When I called LG they refused to fix it again saying it was a customer issue :bs: . We then proceeded to purchase another warranty for the washer (knowing it was problematic), and they put it on the dryer (another customer service screw-up). The dryer was fine, so we asked them to refund the money or simply change the warranty to the washer and they refused to change the warranty to the washer (they know its messed from the factory). Scumbags. I had a few heated discussions with LG and reported them to BBB after that. We replaced that washer soon after.

As far as the televisions go, the remotes never work, you have to hit a button 2-4 times to make it work (on both tv's). Even the buttons on the tv set are the same way.

Maybe I just dont have luck with LG, but I know other people who say the same thing about their customer service and product reliability is questionable.

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)