Home Audio / Video Thread

04CHASE

If you go to the definitive technology's website, they could put a complete package together for you.

About the wire, one thing I've read is if the wire installed is not a certain wire, if there is a fire, the insurance company will not honor your claim. I had magnolia wire everything up for me so it's on them.

CL3 rated wire. Monster CI CL3 speaker is some really good stuff, that is what I would recommend. Just don't throw lamp cord in yours walls, I have seen that done way too much!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like i said, after i bought my projector, i'll never go back to a regular t.v. ever again. my current projector is only a 720, but still has decent picture quality. the newer projectors are 1080 dlp with HDMI inputs, and should be pretty awesome. the worst part about a large screen tv is the portability, but with a projector you can have a huge screen (120" in my case), clean picture and still carry it under your arm down or up the stairs, around tight corners and in a backpack while riding a motorcycle.

as far as audio goes, a denon receiver with your choice of speakers and components will net better performance than any packaged setup.

like i said, after i bought my projector, i'll never go back to a regular t.v. ever again. my current projector is only a 720, but still has decent picture quality. the newer projectors are 1080 dlp with HDMI inputs, and should be pretty awesome. the worst part about a large screen tv is the portability, but with a projector you can have a huge screen (120" in my case), clean picture and still carry it under your arm down or up the stairs, around tight corners and in a backpack while riding a motorcycle.

as far as audio goes, a denon receiver with your choice of speakers and components will net better performance than any packaged setup.

I got a 720 projector and a 120" screen too, but I have no place to put in since it is too big.... But if you got the right room, DO IT!!

projectors have never done it for me , i still dont seem to see the clarity in them . i think what i have will do me just perfect.

and im sorry for what they charge to install a surround sound setup is ridiculous. i wont pay that coin for what i can easily do myself in a cleaner fashion.

i will check out the DT site for in walls. as well as ebay for the wire.

ok getting into this now ,

ordered my denon receiver( 4308 ci ) 3 powered rooms baby!!!

got a 500 ft roll of monster xphp wire for all

im going with all dali speakers front will be the mentor 6 , rear is the phantom ikon in wall , phantom in wall vocal center channel, and the kompas 6m for in celiling , id like to go with the helicon for rear surrounds but over 700 each is crazy.

outdoors will be using my bose outdoor loudspeakers and the 3rd room will be the garage with speaker tbd.

also need to decide for the 2nd sub if im going to use a 8 or 10 dls r velodyne.

ok getting into this now ,

ordered my denon receiver( 4308 ci ) 3 powered rooms baby!!!

got a 500 ft roll of monster xphp wire for all

im going with all dali speakers front will be the mentor 6 , rear is the phantom ikon in wall , phantom in wall vocal center channel, and the kompas 6m for in celiling , id like to go with the helicon for rear surrounds but over 700 each is crazy.

outdoors will be using my bose outdoor loudspeakers and the 3rd room will be the garage with speaker tbd.

also need to decide for the 2nd sub if im going to use a 8 or 10 dls r velodyne.

Only thing with the 4308, is it is three powered rooms kinda...

You have 7 total channels, and when you turn on a second zone, you main zone goes from 7.1 to 5.1 since zone 2 steals 2 channels, and when you select a third zone it will steal another 2 channels making your living room 3.1.

one way to get around that is buy a zone amp, and set up the Denon to trigger it on when you turn on zone's 2 or 3 and it wont rob the channels any more from the main zone.

That is the same for most all home theater receivers though since most have a max of 7-9 built in channels.

We just purchased our bedroom furniture for our new addition and I'm about to buy a flat screen for the room as well. I need to know the major differences between a LCD and plasma. I'm wondering which would be better for the bedroom? I don't plan on purchasing a 1080 unless I can get a good deal because it's just the bedroom, not a theater room. Price is more important than anything here, but I don't want a POS.

Any help?

just depends on budget alex. the new led's 6000 series in a 40 or 46 are pretty affordable

i also need some help again ,

looking for an all in one system ( like the bose life style)

looking at the 35 series but if there are things out there that would be better id be happy not spending the 3k on it. its going to be hidden in the closet so looks arent everything just compact speakers that can mount in the corners of the wall / ceiling are a must.

• 2 months later...

ok guys need some help , im hiding all my a/v stuff in my closet and need some way to control them through the wall. i beleive all of stuff is i/r . only thing in my closet is an onkyo receiver, direct tv hd dvr and a blue ray player yet tbd. any one have any adive?

ok guys need some help , im hiding all my a/v stuff in my closet and need some way to control them through the wall. i beleive all of stuff is i/r . only thing in my closet is an onkyo receiver, direct tv hd dvr and a blue ray player yet tbd. any one have any adive?

This is actually what I do. I own a custom A/V business. The most inexpensive solution is one of the Logitech Harmony remotes or a Monster, etc, etc, that is RF and then converts back to IR at the rack to flash the gear.

The solution that we do most of the time is Control 4. It is more money but it is the start of an entire home automation if you wanted or as simple as the best universal remote you could have. You would also have the option to use an iPhone or iTouch as your remote as well.

http://control4.com/

Edited by TYMBOM (see edit history)

i dont need anything crazy this is just for my bed room 7.1 setup . i have a whole other room that is 7.2 with all the goodies. however all the a/v stuff in that room is visible . i just need something like what you mentioned . its r/f and then is i/r near the components , do you have a link to where i can get the kit for that? i also read some reviews on the 900 (harmony)series and they the r/f is really laggy . i dont want that i need it to be snappy . what other options are out there?

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)