Took The Ss To The Dealer

BlueAKSSS

I know there are quite a few posts about this already but this problem is a bit different... :confused:

I finally took the SS into the dealer on Wednesday because the Climate Control has been messing up lately (guess it never was changed from the A/C setting in Cali). It kept getting stuck on full blast heat or just a coldish warm air blowing out. Fan speeds still worked just as normal. The other thing that stopped working at the same time is the vent selections it also would get stuck on whatever it was on last. Anyway took it in Wednesday morning and they called today and said that the problem was the fuse box and it needs to be replaced so they are ordering a new one. Seems sort of weird I thought the problem would be with the Blend Door Actuators or something like that. Anyway have you guys ever heard of this happening? I'm going to pick it up tomorrow while the parts are on order.

That's a new one on me. Although usually when a blend door actuator fails, one side will blow cold & the other side high heat!

In fact, was thinking your control head for the AC system would have been replaced...

Just picked it from the stealership, while they order the "fuse box" or whatever they think is wrong.So I get in start it up, now the passenger side A/C is stuck on full blast with recirculate mode, and the drivers side is blowing heat like no tomorrow. It's also now stuck blowing at you instead of defrost. When I try to turn recirculate off it flashes 3 times and then stays on, also changing the temperature settings does nothing. This is different than what it did before it used to be just be all heat or just all cold out of all vents. Any thoughts?

You can try disconnecting the battery for a minute. Hook it back up and see what happens...without seeing the truck my guess would be a bad HVAC control head.

I tryed doing this yesterday and after disconnecting the battery for 5 mins I reconnected it. It still didn't work so I parked the truck. Got in it an hour later and all of the sudden everything was back to normal and working fine??? :confused: I have a feeling that its going to act up again though, you guys are probley more on track with the bad HVAC controler or blend door or something like that. I'll just wait till it acts up again to try and fix it.

You can try disconnecting the battery for a minute. Hook it back up and see what happens...without seeing the truck my guess would be a bad HVAC control head.

Yea, try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins (actually, my service adviser told me to touch the positive and neg cables together after they have been removed from the battery to discharge any 'latent current'). Then get in, close the door, turn all HVAC controls to OFF BEFORE you put the key in, then start the truck and DONT TOUCH ANYTHING for 1 minute. The doors should try to re-calibrate. I have heard it can take up to 10 drive cycles before this takes effect, so do it and then do your normal driving all day or whatever.

Im not buying the fuse box thing personally, but WTF do I know...

Link

http://forums.pickuptrucks.com/ubbthreads....8585&page=1

Yea, try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins (actually, my service adviser told me to touch the positive and neg cables together after they have been removed from the battery to discharge any 'latent current'). Then get in, close the door, turn all HVAC controls to OFF BEFORE you put the key in, then start the truck and DONT TOUCH ANYTHING for 1 minute. The doors should try to re-calibrate. I have heard it can take up to 10 drive cycles before this takes effect, so do it and then do your normal driving all day or whatever.

Im not buying the fuse box thing personally, but WTF do I know...

Link

http://forums.pickuptrucks.com/ubbthreads....8585&page=1

I'll have to try that next time it acts up, thanks for the link its got a good procedure as well. I can't turn it off before I turn on the key on because it is digital climate control. I heard on the digital ones when you do this procedure to make sure it is set to "AUTO" and that is how the digital one relearns. I'll keep you guys updated if it messes up again.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

There is a guy on ebay who rebuilds the digital climate control unit with a lifetime warranty for $59.

Coincidentally he also does the speedo rebuild with all new stepper motors for $79.

Both have lifetime warranties and he repairs your unit and returns it to you with 2 business days.

F the stealership.

They are screwing with you and just making crap up.

Mine first told me it was the control unit and when I told them I had someone who could rebuild it then they went on and on about all the control solenoids that the unit controls to make the "blend" happen.

I told them if it wasn't covered past the 70k ext warranty then back it out and they would happily never see me or my truck again.

More reasons why my SSS will never again visit an incompetent GM establishment.

There is a guy on ebay who rebuilds the digital climate control unit with a lifetime warranty for $59.

Coincidentally he also does the speedo rebuild with all new stepper motors for $79.

Both have lifetime warranties and he repairs your unit and returns it to you with 2 business days.

F the stealership.

They are screwing with you and just making crap up.

Mine first told me it was the control unit and when I told them I had someone who could rebuild it then they went on and on about all the control solenoids that the unit controls to make the "blend" happen.

I told them if it wasn't covered past the 70k ext warranty then back it out and they would happily never see me or my truck again.

More reasons why my SSS will never again visit an incompetent GM establishment.

Do you have a name, or link, to the eBay vendor? Thanks.

Do you have a name, or link, to the eBay vendor? Thanks.

I looked it up on ebay and found it, strangely mine has been working flawlessly now that it knows were I can get it rebuilt. Anyway here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-CHEVY-S...sQ5fAccessories

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update this since I finally gave up and just took it to the dealer. Anyway they still found the problem to be the fuse box so I went ahead and told them to replace that. Just picked it up this afternoon and everything is back to normal and seems to be working good. I can set any temperature and it goes to it, and I can switch between defrost and vents, ect. So far so good, replacing the fuse box in my case fixed the problem! :)

What "fuse box" did they replace; the one under the hood or the one in the dash? Can you post the part number here?

I should have said which one in my other post but, they replaced the under dash fuse box part # 15266954. They said the old one had an open in it.