Scheduled Downtime For Oct. 10th

sk_josh

Question

• Admin

SilveradoSS.com will be going down for maintenance for a few hours on Oct. 10th while we upgrade our server. We will be installing a brand spanking new Dell Poweredge r710.

3382596437_80b9d236cb.jpg

The downtime will is scheduled to occur at Noon EST, Oct. 10th.

The new server is a lot more powerful than our current one, and user's should notice faster page load times and the absence of internal server error 500's. We have been working hard for the last couple months in preparation for this, so thanks for bearing with us as we finally put to rest the problems we have been having with out current setup. I know it has been extremely frustrating.

In the coming weeks, I will have more announcements regarding upgrading our forum software to Invisionboard 3 bringing new site features, a completely revised supporting member program, a shiny new skin, and more!

Thanks!

Josh

• Answers 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Admin

Update:

The downtime tonight will not be for as long as originally planned. We are still waiting for DNS to propagate to our new server. To ensure minimal downtime we will be running maintenance tonight to prepare for the switch.

We are going to need to take the server down yet again in a few days to finish the switch, and I will keep you posted on when this will be.

Thanks for being patient as we work to make the site faster.

IMO this site is a better place without the shoutbox again IMO

:idiot: for us people that are new to the whole mechanics of of moding it has been a blessing to have it so when im in the middle of putting some thing in i had my lap top right there in the truck with me with the shout box open and every time i ran into a problem i typed in my question and within seconds would have an answer ... imo i doest get better then that as far as tech support, not to mention it is a great way for the members of this site to get to know each other and to build a family like relationship with other people that share the same interest ... isn't that what a site like this was designed for?? if you didn't like the shout box all you have to do is stay out of it.

josh, just an fyi, this morning about 9:30 i got an error 500 message while trying to view posts. was not sure if this was due to the switch not being finalized yet? just wanted you to be aware in case you are still troubleshoooting.

• Admin

Hey guys,

I noticed things running faster, why? We found the process that was eating up our resources. Our ad serving software went rouge on us and the database recently grew exponentially making it very clear where the problem was. We have switched our ad serving software off of the site, and thus improved the page load time. The site was running at 8-12x cpu, and now it is running at .5 You should notice the pages loading much faster as a result.

Are we on the new server yet? No. We have had to postpone the switch for at least a couple days.

Are we still getting 500 errors? Yes. In the morning up until about 9 oclock the server is doing backups. After that you should be ok.

Why are we not on the new server? We are waiting on our ISP to update some records. Until this happens we will not switch over. Since we have been having problems with our current setup, we want to make sure that when we switch over it will be as painless as possible, and that there are no problems from that day on.

Why did the site go down the other night then? In preparation for the move we are readying the databases by running maintenance, optimizations, etc. We took this time, albeit only a few minutes, to do this.

When can we expect the new server? The new server is set up, and running a test version of the site. It is... fast. Since we thought Oct. 10 gave us plenty of time, and we still missed the date due to forces outside of our control, we won't be giving another date until I know for a fact we can make it. We are hopeful we can make the switch this week, so please check back to this thread for more information.

You mentioned a new skin, and new forum software. When will this happen? The new version of Invision Power Board is slightly more resource intensive than the current version. Because of this the new software will not be installed until we make the switch to the new server. We don't want to add any load to our current setup. After we are on the new server, running smoothly for a few days, we will be moving to IPB3.0 along with our new skin.

What new features will IPB3.0 bring? There are too many new features to list, but if you are interested in whats to come you can take the software for a spin at http://community.invisionpower.com/ Please note we will have a different skin, and some cool new features like a web links directory.

Thanks for bearing with us! If you have any questions feel free to ask me here, or send me a PM.

:idiot: for us people that are new to the whole mechanics of of moding it has been a blessing to have it so when im in the middle of putting some thing in i had my lap top right there in the truck with me with the shout box open and every time i ran into a problem i typed in my question and within seconds would have an answer ... imo i doest get better then that as far as tech support, not to mention it is a great way for the members of this site to get to know each other and to build a family like relationship with other people that share the same interest ... isn't that what a site like this was designed for?? if you didn't like the shout box all you have to do is stay out of it.
c mon bro dont bs your self you know thats not what is discussed on the shout box!!!!!!!!

if you didn't like the shout box all you have to do is stay out of it.

Doesn't get any simpler than that

and as for you why are you trying to start sh!t?thats why i said IN MY OWN OPINION and i do stay out of it i have better things to do with my time......... :rollin: