Got A New Project

fox_forma

Picked up a new project last night for $800. It def needs some work but if I take my time I am sure I can finish this off coming in at a very low price. Currently it has a reverse 4link which I will be removing and either doing a 3 link or 4 link forward style. Needs some body work done on the bed but I think I am going to try to trade the bed for a stock bed instead. I like those a lot better when layed out for some reason. It has a set of 20's on it but I will prob go down to 18's so i can try to get a little more rubber under me. Doors are shaved, interior is spotless but the motor/trans needs help. I think I might just buy a used 4.3 w/trans and pull the current one and put the new on in. This brings me to a quick question. The seller was not aware of the trans issue when the truck originally broke down. He said he dumped coolant and when he was pulling over the clutch got stiffer on him. He loaded the truck on the trailer and got towed home where he unloaded it and put it in the garage. Not sure of the coolant leak or anything. I got the truck fired up for a quick second and it sounds like the fan clutch is shot but we went to pull it up on the trailer and nothing. The clutch feels fine to me and the shifter seems to go into gear but no forward progress. Any ideas what it could be in case it is something that could be obvious and a quick fix. Would love to move it around without having to push it!

Anyhow here are some pics of what I got myself into.

Picture060.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture064.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

digger, kid was asking 2k for it, then said if I wanted it by Wed he would do 1200 because he had to go home. I went there with a truck from work and car carrier and I knew majority of the stuff wrong with it but when we went to load it up and the trans was dead weight I walked away. He hit me up and asked if I was still interested the next day and I told hi $800 and I will come get it. Game over!!

anyone have any ideas about the trans? I read that with a reverse 4link it is possible to pull the shaft out of the trans due to its lift height if it does not have the proper shocks mounted in the rear. The shocks are not mounted but it looks like everything is still in tact at the trans area. Maybe it pulled out just enough?